+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse work permit

amarsingh

Mar 15, 2010
Hello Friends

I have two years of post secondary education and one year of full time work experience here in canada. I am also eligible to file for PR. But before doing that i want to apply for an open work permit for my wife in India. I want to know what form do i need to fill out for her and what are the other document requirements.

Thanks

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
Please read carefully the contents of the following CIC link: all the info that you need is there - guide, application form (IMM 1295), list of required documents.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/work.asp

Generally, your wife would need the same documents like you did when you applied for your work permit (not sure what kind of work permit you have though), and that would include the LMO from HRSDC.

However, she can obtain an open work permit which allows her to work anywhere and this would not need an LMO. To qualify, you have to have a work permit that is valid for 6 mths or longer in a skill level O, A or B occupation.
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/work-faq08.asp

If you qualify, there shouldn't be a problem obtaining the visa if you can prove your marriage, have sufficient funds and proof that she will leave Canada once her status expires. Note that the duration of her permit would be the same as yours.

MY PERSONAL ADVICE: I am not sure about the processing time for a work permit outside Canada. My personal experience/advice is for your wife to apply to visit you in Canada (A visitors visa is usually issued within 1 day at most visa offices) - She would only need to apply to her local visa office, attach proof of relationship, your invitation stating reason why you want her to visit you, proof that you can meet her financial needs during the visit and that she will leave Canada at the end of her visit (she could mention family ties back home, property etc). Once she is in Canada, she can wait for a couple of weeks and apply to change her conditions from visitor to worker and she will be able to obtain an open work permit in a few weeks.

See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

Any way that's what I did to bring my wife to Canada. Everything took ~ 1 month. Just an option that you can look into.

Essat

amarsingh

Mar 15, 2010
Hi Essat

I have few more queries. The address on my wifes passport is the same as her previous address where she lived with her parents. But now she is living with my family at a different address. DO i have to change the address to new one or i can still apply with the old address.

Thanks

Essat

Star Member
Sep 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-March-2010
AOR Received.
13-May-2010
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
To LA on 10-Nov-2010
Med's Request
08-12-2010
Med's Done....
14-01-2011, sent 26-01-2011
Passport Req..
13-April-2011
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2011
LANDED..........
05-Jun-2011
You have to use the new address - the one where CIC can send any communication and she gets it. The application will ask for her current mailing address and her residential address (if different from mailing address) and in my opinion, you should go with the new address. If you are worried about the address in the passport, she can always attach a cover letter and explain why her address has changed (got married and moved from her family's place)
Essat