+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse work permit got rejected thrice- before i got ITA on april 10th

Shivaprasad94

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Hello All

I got married last year and after that i applied thrice for my wifes work permit, and rejected with the same reasons everytime that Immigration officer is not convinced that she will go back to India after work permit expires based on the financial status, purpose of visiting me and family ties in India.

First time they rejected saying i dont have enough funds and said my job is not skilled.

Second time they rejected saying my marriage is not genuine and married only for the purpose of getting work permit.

I got married in Arya samaj and applied for register marriage certificate - just to keep the marriage simple and ofcourse there were very less guests who attended marriage- I could prove my marriage as genuine by uploading enough pictures of both of us and marriage with all family relatives in the next application but

Third time they rejected and mentioned that Immigration officer is not convinced that she will go back to India after work permit expires based on the financial status, purpose of visiting me and family ties in India

On April 10th I got ITA for express entry

so now i am doing a joint application for my wife PR along with mine ( primary applicant).
Am worried a bit that - will her rejection histories will affect the PR process?

Please help me with guidance.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All

I got married last year and after that i applied thrice for my wifes work permit, and rejected with the same reasons everytime that Immigration officer is not convinced that she will go back to India after work permit expires based on the financial status, purpose of visiting me and family ties in India.

First time they rejected saying i dont have enough funds and said my job is not skilled.

Second time they rejected saying my marriage is not genuine and married only for the purpose of getting work permit.

I got married in Arya samaj and applied for register marriage certificate - just to keep the marriage simple and ofcourse there were very less guests who attended marriage- I could prove my marriage as genuine by uploading enough pictures of both of us and marriage with all family relatives in the next application but

Third time they rejected and mentioned that Immigration officer is not convinced that she will go back to India after work permit expires based on the financial status, purpose of visiting me and family ties in India

On April 10th I got ITA for express entry

so now i am doing a joint application for my wife PR along with mine ( primary applicant).
Am worried a bit that - will her rejection histories will affect the PR process?

Please help me with guidance.
No effect if you can show you are in a genuine marriage. If you had a court marriage to try and sponsor and then had a real wedding afterwards then you were rightly refused. It is not uncommon for SOWP to be denied for arranged marriage when spouse gets married soon after getting a permit or during their permit and then files for SOWP immediately. Unfortunately that is one of the ways people commit fraud. How much time have you spent together In person after marriage? Did you have a “typical“ wedding after your first simple wedding?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Previous concern of officer was your wife won't leave Canada. But, now since you are applying for PR your intentions are clear and hence previous rejection reason doesn't apply.

However, as mentioned in above comment, you need to have good proof of marriage as that was also a concern and that would apply in PR application as well.

Shivaprasad94

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Yes Cansha/ Canuck

I visited India last year just to get married, me and wife had a commitment to marry and were in love since 2016.
Yeah I married her in Arya samaj and got my marriage registered in a week after that, my plan was to bring her to Canada on work permit, which never happened. My marriage is genuine and happened with all our parents approval, I later attached some good pictures with all our relatives and a reception we hosted after our marriage. I guess they got convinced and they did not specify rejection reason regards to my marriage in the third application.

Thanks for your replies!!!

Now i only wish that her work permit rejection history should not affect our PR application.

Shivaprasad94

Star Member
May 22, 2020
No effect if you can show you are in a genuine marriage. If you had a court marriage to try and sponsor and then had a real wedding afterwards then you were rightly refused. It is not uncommon for SOWP to be denied for arranged marriage when spouse gets married soon after getting a permit or during their permit and then files for SOWP immediately. Unfortunately that is one of the ways people commit fraud. How much time have you spent together In person after marriage? Did you have a “typical“ wedding after your first simple wedding?
I went to India just for two weeks, and i did not get any time to spend with my wife together. cause i had to come back and join my job- as my company's leave policy is just 10 days a year. and yeah i never wanted to waste money on weddings, so we decided just to get married in Arya samaj and get register marriage certificate for Visa

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes Cansha/ Canuck

I visited India last year just to get married, me and wife had a commitment to marry and were in love since 2016.
Yeah I married her in Arya samaj and got my marriage registered in a week after that, my plan was to bring her to Canada on work permit, which never happened. My marriage is genuine and happened with all our parents approval, I later attached some good pictures with all our relatives and a reception we hosted after our marriage. I guess they got convinced and they did not specify rejection reason regards to my marriage in the third application.

Thanks for your replies!!!

Now i only wish that her work permit rejection history should not affect our PR application.
You had very little time spent with your spouse in person and I assume you did not date like Westerners do although you were matched in 2016. In addition it sounds like you didn’t have a big ceremony which is unusual so there was concerns about your relationship. You should include pictures with your wife over a period of time just not the wedding. Covid makes things more complicated. It would be much better to have another in person visit. You need to provide as much proof as possible that this is a genuine marriage.

Shivaprasad94

Star Member
May 22, 2020
You had very little time spent with your spouse in person and I assume you did not date like Westerners do although you were matched in 2016. In addition it sounds like you didn’t have a big ceremony which is unusual so there was concerns about your relationship. You should include pictures with your wife over a period of time just not the wedding. Covid makes things more complicated. It would be much better to have another in person visit. You need to provide as much proof as possible that this is a genuine marriage.
Yes Canuck

I will attach all the pictures - which we have as together before marriage, and i don't think its possible for me to visit her during this time, as my application deadline is just 40 days left.
Thanks for your concern, i will try to include all the pictures before and after marriage - along with our family and relatives.

Tarandeep1995

Star Member
Jun 11, 2019
Yes Canuck

I will attach all the pictures - which we have as together before marriage, and i don't think its possible for me to visit her during this time, as my application deadline is just 40 days left.
Thanks for your concern, i will try to include all the pictures before and after marriage - along with our family and relatives.
Did you get your spouse visa ?

gshin89

Star Member
Jul 21, 2021
Mate, i feel you! got study permit got rejected twice for idiotic reasons, a simple adr would have solved them but no, just rejection. and then boom i got ita and my pr is ini process.

in the end they saved me money so just look at the bright side my frined, better for our mental health. Direclty to pr is better than wp to pr right :)

singhno

Jan 12, 2022
Mate, i feel you! got study permit got rejected twice for idiotic reasons, a simple adr would have solved them but no, just rejection. and then boom i got ita and my pr is ini process.

in the end they saved me money so just look at the bright side my frined, better for our mental health. Direclty to pr is better than wp to pr right :)
lolz, u gave VO the biggest middle finger.