+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse work permit extension….

R_Jasoos

Oct 24, 2023
I(as spouse) received refusal for in-canada open-WP, my wife is on PGWP and is on MAT. leave for now....how can I apply for my open work permit based on MAT LEAVE...????

My old work permit is expired last week.

please guide me

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I(as spouse) received refusal for in-canada open-WP, my wife is on PGWP and is on MAT. leave for now....how can I apply for my open work permit based on MAT LEAVE...????

please guide me
Is your work permit still valid? When did it expire? If expired, you can no longer work. Have you had a work permit or applied inland while on a TRV.

If she is on mat leave, then ask employer for job letter that she is on mat leave with return date and if being topped off from employer she will have pay stubs. However this may not be enough as your SOWP is based on her PGWP and her working If she is not returning to employer, then she will need another job with paystubs/job letter for you to apply. You will have to wait until her mat leave is over and for her to return to work.

Last edited:

R_Jasoos

Oct 24, 2023
Is your work permit still valid? When did it expire? If expired, you can no longer work. Have you had a work permit or applied inland while on a TRV.

If she is on mat leave, then ask employer for job letter that she is on mat leave with return date and if being topped off from employer she will have pay stubs. However this may not be enough as your SOWP is based on her PGWP and her working If she is not returning to employer, then she will need another job with paystubs/job letter for you to apply. You will have to wait until her mat leave is over and for her to return to work.
My old work permit is expired last week, i am inland applicant.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My old work permit is expired last week, i am inland applicant.
Ok. So you cannot work until new work permit approved. Have you received an opt in email about possible extension. Giving that your spouse is on PGWP and not working may be the issue because your SOWP is based on her working on PGWP. When did you apply for extension? When does her PGWP expire? When is she going back to work? Same employer?

R_Jasoos

Oct 24, 2023
Ok. So you cannot work until new work permit approved. Have you received an opt in email about possible extension. Giving that your spouse is on PGWP and not working may be the issue because your SOWP is based on her working on PGWP. When did you apply for extension? When does her PGWP expire? When is she going back to work? Same employer?
Thank you.
she will return after 8-9 months.. now getting EI benefits… I’ll apply for restoration soon….then I am think toreapply for work permit with EI STATEMENTS I AM GETTING ON WEEKLY BASIS.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you.
she will return after 8-9 months.. now getting EI benefits… I’ll apply for restoration soon….then I am think toreapply for work permit with EI STATEMENTS I AM GETTING ON WEEKLY BASIS.
You are getting EI or spouse? You can try but she may need to be working and then you are eligible for SOWP.

Ugomakas

Oct 25, 2023
Hello, please I need assistance as I am having challenge uploaded my application form for an open work permit. It's giving me an error" the form could not be submitted because errors were found". Am certain I met all criteria stated and did not print to pdf to save, yet error persist. Please assist

R_Jasoos

Oct 24, 2023
Naturgrl
@Naturgrl

can you please help me what to select for restoration and extend application form inimm5710e.

specifically Que-3)
I am applying for one or more of following:

A) Apply for work permit with same employer
B) Restore my status as worker
C) Apply for work permit for first time or with new employer
D) Get new temp. resident permit (for inadmissible applicant holders only)

what to select from A,B,C,D,....can I select two options..?

my details:

open work permit status expired on Oct 23rd, 2023 (which i received as spouse of study permit holder)>
my spouse received PGWP >
my work permit extension....... refused on OCR 23, 2023.

nnv

Jan 7, 2024
Thank you.
Hy dear did you get any update. Please share experience we are in same situation