Canada
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
12-01-2021
AOR Received.
10-01-2022
Hi Everyone,

my wife applied for 1 year certificate program in NBCC College.She got 1.5 yrs student visa along with my 2 year old son who applied for visitor visa and got it for September 2018 intake.She plans to travel in August.I did not apply along with them fearing rejection.But i want to apply now so as to go along with them. Now I have two queries

1. It would be very kind of you to suggest what visa will be best in my situation SPOUSE VISITOR VISA OR OPEN WORK PERMIT.

2. Can i apply before she goes to canada or i must wait for her to reach there and apply after 2-3 months.

3. What documents needed for both and do i need to show letter stating my intention.If yes plz plz i need a strong letter format.

Regarding me, I am working presently in gulf since 5 years and funds i can show bank balance of 43,000 CAD.

I highly value your opinion and suggestion .

Regards,

TanuP

Aug 12, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-04-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-02-2019
You'll have to apply for both : the trv gives you the right to live in canada and the owp gives you the right to work. The date of expiry will be linked to the date on your wife's SP.

You can apply now but always write a good letter of explanation to present your case - you want to be with your family to support them financially and emotionally and take care of your child when your wife goes to school.

Once you fill the eligibility questionnaire, a checklist of documents will be generated. Your wife can write an invitation letter if she wants. You'll also need proof of funds and proof of her status.

kashif.raza001

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
Canada
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
12-01-2021
AOR Received.
10-01-2022
@TanuP thanks for ur reply...but point no. 2 is where i m stuck..when is correct time to apply..what are chances if i apply before she lands in canada. And whether i shud go for visitor visa.I know that after landing it can be converted to OWP.

Moreover i have active Express entry profile..so will it affect my application.

TanuP

Aug 12, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-04-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-02-2019
We were in the same situation as you and we chose to apply (owp) later. Having said that, i have friends who applied together and they also got their owp. It all depends on how you present your case plus what supporting documents you have. If you're not going to work, then you don't need the owp.

Not sure about the ee profile - Maybe seek some specific expert help here on the forum. Sorry that i don't have an answer for this question.

kashif.raza001

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
Canada
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
12-01-2021
AOR Received.
10-01-2022
We were in the same situation as you and we chose to apply (owp) later. Having said that, i have friends who applied together and they also got their owp. It all depends on how you present your case plus what supporting documents you have. If you're not going to work, then you don't need the owp.

Not sure about the ee profile - Maybe seek some specific expert help here on the forum. Sorry that i don't have an answer for this question.
So u chose OWP..when did u apply for it..i mean same time or later.
Ya my plan is OWP in the end but going directly on it could hamper my chances...this is what i think.So i wanna try visitor visa .

For supporting documents i can show bank statement of 30,000 CAD plus provide evidence of work employment to prove i would return back. Will that be enough ?

TanuP

Aug 12, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-04-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-02-2019
We applied 4 months later.

That's enough for the 3 of you. Write a letter of explanation and point all the facts. Don't leave anything to interpretation. I wrote an invitation letter for my husband's application.

DKYah1130

May 27, 2018
Hi @TanuP, i am reading through and noticed u are more experienced with SV application with dependents. May I ask for help, in what stream did u apply? Regular or SDS program? If thru SDS, how did u present the documents of ur dependents? I have read that u have applied ahead and was approved then applied ur dependents and was approved too. Pla help as i want to do the same. I am going to be the main applicant and my husband and kids 2yo and 5mo will be applying after as many says it is risky to apply together. Pls advise. Thanks a lot.

TanuP

Aug 12, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-04-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-02-2019
Mine wasn't under spp/sds. It was a 2-yr diploma in the same field as my profession, as well as my bachelor's. I wrote a detailed letter of explanation to present my case saying how this program will help me update my skills and climb the proverbial professional ladder.
As for my child, we applied together. I'd already found out a day care for him and sought an in-principle admission for him. Wrote another loe for his TRV that detailed my plan - he'll go to xx day care at xx address and the fees for that is xx - which i can provide through my gic (attached a copy), plus bank statements (1 year, both mine, spouse & our parents). Tax returns proof of funds (mutual funds, equity, property if any). I said that my child, who was 2 then, needs to be with his mom for his emotional well being.
We applied for my husband's owp 4 months later. If you present your case properly, i don't see why you cannot apply together as a family. After all, who will you take care of your kids when you go to school? And, you don't want to be away from such young ones. Explain the logistics, show that you are prepared, have planned and researched - my husband will stay at home during the day with the kids; take up an evening job (very, very common here because day care is insanely expensive). Say that it will help you keep your expenses low and help you provide in a bettet manner for your kids living expenses/ activities.
It sounds easy to leave them and your spouse behind, but trust me, you don't want to do that.

DKYah1130

May 27, 2018
That’s really true @TanuP. I cannot leave them even an hour far from my sight. So i have to have a strong loe to convince VO to approve our visa together. If you don’t mind, would u kindly pm me a copy of your loe just for my reference as i have to write mine now. Thanks very much.
As u have mentioned, ur 2 yr old son is going to a day care, is it necessary to bring them there? At that age? Or since no one will be looking after him when u are at school and hubby is at work?
And is it safe to mention in the loe that hubby will be working to help out in the Cost of living? So that means it isn’t required that u present huge amount of money in the bank? Again, thank u for ur kind reply.

TanuP

Aug 12, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23-04-2018
AOR Received.
07-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-02-2019
Spouse gets an open work permit if you are on a study permit. Most people with kids here take up different work shifts so one parent is always home with the kids. It is your choice after all. I have to look for my loe cuz it was 2 yrs ago

Reactions: DKYah1130

DKYah1130

May 27, 2018
Pls do. Thanks very much for ur help. I still have to decide whether to apply alone then my fam will apply later or we will apply together which I really wanted to do.

amumu001

Sep 23, 2018
Pls do. Thanks very much for ur help. I still have to decide whether to apply alone then my fam will apply later or we will apply together which I really wanted to do.
Hi, have you applied your visa? Did you apply together or separately, I'm in the same situation now

rahullfo

Aug 10, 2018
Hi All,

I am in a big dilemma right now. My wife is studying MBA in Canada and I went along with her on 5th September . I then applied for the open work permit application on 8th September from within Canada
as I thought of staying with her till my application was approved and then come back to India and give resignation,serve notice period in my current company and then go back.
I have a multiple entry tourist Visa. But somehow my company did not allow me to work remotely so I have to come back to India on 21st September.Now here are my doubts:
1)What happens if my application for OWP is approved wile I am in India?As I have to submit my passport,can I travel back to Canada on tourist visa and submit my passport?Am I allowed to do that?
2)Will I be denied entry if I follow 1?
3)Can my application be rejected as I left Canada during the process?

What should be the best thing for me to do?

kashif.raza001

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
Canada
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
12-01-2021
AOR Received.
10-01-2022
1. Dont worry if ur application is approved u dont need to send passport, they will send work permit which will be valid till expiry date of ur wife study permit.The will send it by post to ur given address.

2. This question i too m not sure.

Best of luck for ur application. I too had applied few days back owp from inside canada.

rahullfo

Aug 10, 2018
1. Dont worry if ur application is approved u dont need to send passport, they will send work permit which will be valid till expiry date of ur wife study permit.The will send it by post to ur given address.

2. This question i too m not sure.

Best of luck for ur application. I too had applied few days back owp from inside canada.
Have you got your work permit? Did you leave Canada while your OWP application was in process?