+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Visa - TRV

sanode

Star Member
May 3, 2017
Hi Everyone,
Could anyone share any info as to how to apply dependent visa for spouse?
I am going to canada on a study permit and would like my spouse to accompany me. I have already applied to study visa and want to initiate TRV (just visit visa without work permit). Few of the questions I have are

1) Visitor Visa (TRV) - Will this visa give my spouse to stay in canada till the end of my course which is for 16 months?
2) Since we are planning to go together in september and processing time for Open work permit is 12 weeks, I am opting for a visitor visa which is just 24 days. Will this be a problem? I have no issues in showing the financial part.

Please do provide your suggestions and if anyone is in the same boat do let me know your thoughts. Also, if you are aware of any consultancies which process the same in India, I request you to provide your inputs.

Thanks!

Nate Gee

May 23, 2017
If you don't mind me asking:
- What country are you applying from?
- Does she have a job in your home country?

16 months is a long time.

sanode

Star Member
May 3, 2017
If you don't mind me asking:
- What country are you applying from?
- Does she have a job in your home country?

16 months is a long time.
Sure, I am applying from India.
My wife was working recently until we got married last year in November. So currently unemployed.
Yes 16 months is a very long time and that is the reason I would like her to accompany me.
I am very confused if we should apply for a temporary visit visa (24 processing days) or open work permit (12 weeks processing).
Because if we apply for visitor visa , we could leave together and then maybe from canada apply for open work permit.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sure, I am applying from India.
My wife was working recently until we got married last year in November. So currently unemployed.
Yes 16 months is a very long time and that is the reason I would like her to accompany me.
I am very confused if we should apply for a temporary visit visa (24 processing days) or open work permit (12 weeks processing).
Because if we apply for visitor visa , we could leave together and then maybe from canada apply for open work permit.
IMHO, the chances of your wife getting a TRV are almost zero.

TRVs are for short stays up to max. 6 months (if the CBSA officer allows it). You should NOT apply for a stay of 16 months. Refusal is guaranteed.

Also, your wife could have had some chances for a TRV approval if she was still employed.

I suggest you apply for SOWP instead

Reactions: sanode

sanode

Star Member
May 3, 2017

TRVs are for short stays up to max. 6 months (if the CBSA officer allows it). You should NOT apply for a stay of 16 months. Refusal is guaranteed.

Also, your wife could have had some chances for a TRV approval if she was still employed.

Thanks Bryanna for your inputs!

sanode

Star Member
May 3, 2017

Bryanna, Thanks again for helping me out. I have a very silly doubt, in the online application my current status has a column with value - 'Primary Applicant', so I was wondering if i could start another application as dependent using the same account i used to create my study permit application? Please forgive me if this is really a stupid question but looking at that column - 'Primary Applicant', I just felt i could start application for my wife as a dependent there itself. Or do you suggest me to create a separate account ?