+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Visa for Federal Skilled Express Entry Candidate

A1554069

Star Member
May 2, 2018
Dear All,
My fiance and I are thinking of applying for the skilled express entry but separately. If either of us gets an invitation, can we sponsor the other through a spouse visa? Will we have to show evidence of marriage? Also how long does spouse visa take to process once we land in Canada? Will it matter if the applicant for spouse visa had also applied for express entry?

The idea behind applying separately was to keep it simple and also that we are not yet married.

Would appreciate any guidance? What is the best way to go about it?

zohebshaikh

Aug 13, 2017
Category........
PNP
Have you checked the CRS points you can get by applying as single vs married couple ? Unless there is a CRS score disadvantage, it is always better to apply as a married couple as you both will get your PR together and can be together faster. The entire process from Express Entry Application >> (PNP nomination if CRS less than 450) >> Invitation to apply >> Application for PR >> Receiving the PR can take upto a year from start of the process.

Not sure how long the spouse process will take, but IMO better to apply together. GL

Reactions: A1554069

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Dear All,
My fiance and I are thinking of applying for the skilled express entry but separately. If either of us gets an invitation, can we sponsor the other through a spouse visa? Will we have to show evidence of marriage? Also how long does spouse visa take to process once we land in Canada? Will it matter if the applicant for spouse visa had also applied for express entry?

The idea behind applying separately was to keep it simple and also that we are not yet married.

Would appreciate any guidance? What is the best way to go about it?
The Sponsorship process takes atleast a year for 80% of the applications, according to CIC. It is always better to apply as a married couple, as 80% of the applications will be processed within 6 months. If you both have enough points to get ITA separately (when you are still single), then you can apply as such and get your PR.

A1554069

Star Member
May 2, 2018
The Sponsorship process takes atleast a year for 80% of the applications, according to CIC. It is always better to apply as a married couple, as 80% of the applications will be processed within 6 months. If you both have enough points to get ITA separately (when you are still single), then you can apply as such and get your PR.
Thank you! Is there a link I can use to calculate the CRS points? I used the calculator on cic.gc.ca and as individuals, we are both getting a score of 475 and as a couple, we are getting a score of 478 so not much difference. Can you guide us more on this? Is there an official link we can also read up on to get more information regarding ideal CRS points and timelines?

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Thank you! Is there a link I can use to calculate the CRS points? I used the calculator on cic.gc.ca and as individuals, we are both getting a score of 475 and as a couple, we are getting a score of 478 so not much difference. Can you guide us more on this? Is there an official link we can also read up on to get more information regarding ideal CRS points and timelines?
Currently the draw score is around 450 and the CRS score you have is a sure thing for an ITA. You can guys can apply separately and if you get your PR before your marriage, then can come to Canada as Single. If any one of you get their PR and the other don't, then after marriage you can include the other in your PR application.

Last edited:

A1554069

Star Member
May 2, 2018
Currently the draw score is around 450 and the CRS score you have is a sure thing for an ITA. You can guys can apply separately and if you don't get your PR before your marriage, then can come to Canada as Single. If any one of you get their PR and the other don't, then after marriage you can include the other in your PR application.
Thanks! Does the draw score keep changing? Where can I keep a check as there is still some time before I apply..waiting for eca. Secondly, if we apply separately and one of us doesn't get an invitation or a PR in time, can we mention the other as spouse if we are married by then?

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Thanks! Does the draw score keep changing? Where can I keep a check as there is still some time before I apply..waiting for eca. Secondly, if we apply separately and one of us doesn't get an invitation or a PR in time, can we mention the other as spouse if we are married by then?
Yes it changes but it will not go above 460 according to the trend. If you both have 475 points, then there is no way that one of you don't get the invitation. But for PR application, if one of your application gets approved after marriage and then you can notify CIC of the marital status change and include the other person in the application. The following link gives you the draw history,
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/rounds-invitations.html

A1554069

Star Member
May 2, 2018
Yes it changes but it will not go above 460 according to the trend. If you both have 475 points, then there is no way that one of you don't get the invitation. But for PR application, if one of your application gets approved after marriage and then you can notify CIC of the marital status change and include the other person in the application. The following link gives you the draw history,
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/rounds-invitations.html
Thanks for the prompt response! You would recommend we both apply separately as opposed to one of us applying and then sponsoring through spouse visa because it may take upto 12 months? Or we apply together? The only consideration would be time apart then as there isn't any CSR disadvantage..

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Thanks for the prompt response! You would recommend we both apply separately as opposed to one of us applying and then sponsoring through spouse visa because it may take upto 12 months? Or we apply together? The only consideration would be time apart then as there isn't any CSR disadvantage..
Yes spousal visa is not the recommended one. You can apply separately now and there is no problem with that, as you are still single.