+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse visa applicant in Canada on TRV before COPR - Is original passport still required?

Trailblazer89

Feb 17, 2019
Hi all

I am a Canadian permanent resident and we submitted my wife's spouse visa application for her permanent residence status in Canada under the Family Class back in December 2019. At the time of the application, she was outside Canada. However, since then, she has entered Canada on a temporary residence visitor visa (TRV) to visit me in Canada.

A few days ago, she received an email from IRCC that stated next steps that are required before she is issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

One of the steps in the email states that if one requires a visa to enter Canada, he/she must submit their original passport to IRCC. Otherwise, if one does not require a visa to enter Canada, only photocopies of the passport are required, along with other required documents.

Since my wife is currently already physically present in Canada on a temporary residence visa, is she only required to submit photocopies of her passport and NOT her original passport? This is my understanding, as she already has a TRV for Canada on a Pakistani passport based on which she is currently in Canada.

Any feedback/help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Are they aware she is in Canada? Send a web form advising them she is here and they will advise you what has to be done to complete the process. Congratulations.