+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse traveling with chiled

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
I am temp worker in Canada and will come there soon. After several months my spouse which has OWP and my child are coming.
At the point of entry in Canada, does my spouse need to show notarized letter from me saying that is ok for her to travel with the baby?
To have this is not really logical, because I will be in Canada already and she can proof that by showing my pay slips and she and the kid are coming to Canada also, but I read in lot of places in this forum discussion about this and wanted to make sure.

Also do you need to bring the immunization paper (with all the vaccines) when she enter?

thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

actonis said:
I am temp worker in Canada and will come there soon. After several months my spouse which has OWP and my child are coming.
At the point of entry in Canada, does my spouse need to show notarized letter from me saying that is ok for her to travel with the baby?
To have this is not really logical, because I will be in Canada already and she can proof that by showing my pay slips and she and the kid are coming to Canada also, but I read in lot of places in this forum discussion about this and wanted to make sure.

Also do you need to bring the immunization paper (with all the vaccines) when she enter?

thanks
1. He needs the notarized letter, CBSA doesn't really have the time or the patience to determine that you are in Canada.
2. If you want the child to attend school, then bring the immunization proof. As if there is a disease outbreak and your child has not proof of immunization then she will be sent home.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can find a sample letter here: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
also wanted to point out that children is spelled children

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for the info PMM.
Thanks for the link Leon. (although it is meant for Canadian children, which mine is not, I got the idea about what to write in my letter and to get it notarized)
I was wondering, if my spouse at the point of entry show the officers my payslips and confirmation from a Canadian company that I work there... will that be sufficient?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
actonis said:
Thanks for the info PMM.
Thanks for the link Leon. (although it is meant for Canadian children, which mine is not, I got the idea about what to write in my letter and to get it notarized)
I was wondering, if my spouse at the point of entry show the officers my payslips and confirmation from a Canadian company that I work there... will that be sufficient?
No, because you might have left the day after the letters were written and your spouse is fleeing to Canada with the children after you have left yourself. Better that the letter has your signature. If you don't have time to mail it, fax or email it. Of course it is better when it is an original but they might accept a fax.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
@Leon

1. Can I write and sign myself?

2. If I go to notary office I will have to have the letter in non-English language, because notary offices in my home country does not sign and put seal in anything that the official language of my country.
Or I can have that documents translated from a official translator so my spouse can bring the original and the translation with her. Would this do the trick?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Even a letter not notarized is better than nothing. You should give your wife a number where she can reach you in case they want to phone you.

2. A translation would work too.

They might not even ask about the letter. It's just for if they do. One lady I know was taking her kids from the US on vacation to Canada and she was asked. She didn't have a letter. The pulled her son away from her and asked him where his father is and if he knew about their vacation. They were happy with his replies so they let them go.