+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorship

beefy222

May 29, 2019
Hi there

Fiance and I are getting married next week. I just learned that there is a waiting period of 6-8 weeks after getting married in Ontario before one could apply for the marriage certificate + 2-3 weeks processing time.

It is not that bigger deal but it would throw our original plan out. I understand as per the checklist that
a record of solemnization or marriage license is not acceptable in place of marriage certificate. Would it be OK to still send in the "record of solemnization or marriage license is not acceptable" and write a letter explaining marriage certificate will be submitted as soon as it is received?

Thanks

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi there

Fiance and I are getting married next week. I just learned that there is a waiting period of 6-8 weeks after getting married in Ontario before one could apply for the marriage certificate + 2-3 weeks processing time.

It is not that bigger deal but it would throw our original plan out. I understand as per the checklist that
a record of solemnization or marriage license is not acceptable in place of marriage certificate. Would it be OK to still send in the "record of solemnization or marriage license is not acceptable" and write a letter explaining marriage certificate will be submitted as soon as it is received?

Thanks
Nope! They will return your application as incomplete.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No, a marriage certificate is mandatory. Just wait till you have it and then submit a complete application.

Fopogi26

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
Hi there

Thanks
Better to apply in person for marriage certificate go to service ontario and when u fill up the form there should be indicating that “Use for Immigration purposes”and try to give them a explanation letter(SO) then they will expedite ur MC.goodluck

Blueface

Mar 15, 2019
Hi there

Thanks
As others mentioned, marriage certificate is pretty much required. However you can expedite the process to get your marriage registered if you have a proof of urgency.
Check out this thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sample-letter-proof-of-urgency-marriage-certificate-ontario.190108/