+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship.

Ghost911

Nov 16, 2018
Hi y'all
Its been a tough road for me in canada. At the moment I'm facing removal order and I'm required to leave the country. I have a spousal application on going since march 2018 ,until now I have received any work permit. First I had applied for spouse sponsorship on may 2015 and we recieved a landing appointment on 2017. The landing appointment was then cancelled and we were called for interview. The officer in vancouver officer separated us and did the interview one on one. She was so hard on my partner asking her alot of personal question as to why she asked a kid before marriage blah blah. My lady is a punjabi and so was the officer and I'm African. After the interview we waited for a month then I received an email saying my spouse withdrawn the application. My spouse denied and she was shocked . Is it possible that the immigration officer was racist? I have been with my spouse for 4 years and we have a kid 3 yrs old. What should I do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi y'all
Its been a tough road for me in canada. At the moment I'm facing removal order and I'm required to leave the country. I have a spousal application on going since march 2018 ,until now I have received any work permit. First I had applied for spouse sponsorship on may 2015 and we recieved a landing appointment on 2017. The landing appointment was then cancelled and we were called for interview. The officer in vancouver officer separated us and did the interview one on one. She was so hard on my partner asking her alot of personal question as to why she asked a kid before marriage blah blah. My lady is a punjabi and so was the officer and I'm African. After the interview we waited for a month then I received an email saying my spouse withdrawn the application. My spouse denied and she was shocked . Is it possible that the immigration officer was racist? I have been with my spouse for 4 years and we have a kid 3 yrs old. What should I do?
It's not clear what the status is of your spousal sponsorship application now. Has it been officially withdrawn? Your dates are somewhat confusing. You mention that you've had a spousal application ongoing since March 2018 but also mention that you first applied in May 2015. Was the first application withdrawn and then you filed a second application? Is this all one application? It would be good to explain this fully so that we can try to help you.

It sounds like your spouse did in fact contact IRCC to withdraw the application even if she is denying it. People often don't realize that their partner will be notified if they withdraw their support - they often think that IRCC will just refuse the application but not tell the applicant why the application was refused. We have seen cases here where a spouse has withdrawn the application in anger or frustration and then regretted their actions immediately afterwards. Perhaps this is what happened with your wife.

Ghost911

Nov 16, 2018
It's not clear what the status is of your spousal sponsorship application now. Has it been officially withdrawn? Your dates are somewhat confusing. You mention that you've had a spousal application ongoing since March 2018 but also mention that you first applied in May 2015. Was the first application withdrawn and then you filed a second application? Is this all one application? It would be good to explain this fully so that we can try to help you.

It sounds like your spouse did in fact contact IRCC to withdraw the application even if she is denying it. People often don't realize that their partner will be notified if they withdraw their support - they often think that IRCC will just refuse the application but not tell the applicant why the application was refused. We have seen cases here where a spouse has withdrawn the application in anger or frustration and then regretted their actions immediately afterwards. Perhaps this is what happened with your wife.
Yes I had first applied on May 2015 anf that application was considered withdrawn. I then applied again on march 2018 and the status is 'in process'

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I had first applied on May 2015 anf that application was considered withdrawn. I then applied again on march 2018 and the status is 'in process'
I assume you applied inland the second time. I'm not clear if you already have an open work permit or are still waiting for the OWP to be approved.

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019
Yes both inland. I haven't received the OWP yet. Its been 7 months I'm not sure what's going on.
Sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time.

Like Scylla, I'm having a tough time parsing out your story. Is there pertinent information here that we're missing? Have you recently checked the status of your application online? Were you out of status when you applied for OWP? It seems odd that you would've received no communication for 7 months!

To answer your original question, as uncomfortable as that Vancouver interview may have been, it sounds like your initial application was simply withdrawn by your spouse and she chose not to tell you.

Ghost911

Nov 16, 2018
Yes I checked online status and it says 'Medical received'. When they considered the previous application withdrawn I was out of status. On march 2018 I sent another spousal application.

dalkvan

Nov 13, 2018
Yes I checked online status and it says 'Medical received'. When they considered the previous application withdrawn I was out of status. On march 2018 I sent another spousal application.
If you were out of status when you submit the new PR application on march, you are not eligible for OWP.
PR application will continue to process, your status won't affect any.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi y'all
I suggest you request GCMS notes for the first application. That will show what happened with the interview and the withdrawal.

Ghost911

Nov 16, 2018
Well yes I have express entry as well. I got invitation to apply and i sent the application package on july 2018. Nothing so far on that too

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well yes I have express entry as well. I got invitation to apply and i sent the application package on july 2018. Nothing so far on that too
You can't apply for Express Entry while in Canada without status. One of the base requirements to apply from within Canada for EE is that you have valid status. Unfortunately you should be expecting a refusal.

Ghost911

Nov 16, 2018
The time I applied for EE my spousal application was already received and in process. So I believe I had status .

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The time I applied for EE my spousal application was already received and in process. So I believe I had status .
Submit a complete timeline of your applications/status since you arrived in Canada. From what you've said, it appears you have been out of status for a long time.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Were you in status in Canada at the time IRCC received your second spousal sponsorship application along with the OWP?

Simply having a spousal sponsorship application in progress does not give you status in Canada.

You needed to have valid status at the time your second application was received by IRCC.

Last edited: