+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship PR Question

Godsdaughter

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Hello,

I need assistance with filling out the imm0008 form. Kindly assist with answering the questions below.

For Question 13 C - Provide the name of your current spouse/common-law partner
Family name (s) and Given name(s),
If the applicant filling the form is a man(the husband), does he need to write his wife's maiden names(i.e. the names wife used from birth and before they got married) or write her new names which comprises of her husband's last name?

For Question 10 Current country of residence
If the applicant selects Nigeria as Country and Citizen as Status, does he need to fill the from and to date? If so, what will be the from date? Will it be birth date? What will be the To date? Will it be present date or left blank?

For Question 3 How many family members, including you, are in this application?
Does the applicant select 1 or 2? It's just the applicant(Husband) and sponsor(Wife)

Thanks you for your time!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I need assistance with filling out the imm0008 form. Kindly assist with answering the questions below.

For Question 13 C - Provide the name of your current spouse/common-law partner
Family name (s) and Given name(s),
If the applicant filling the form is a man(the husband), does he need to write his wife's maiden names(i.e. the names wife used from birth and before they got married) or write her new names which comprises of her husband's last name?

For Question 10 Current country of residence
If the applicant selects Nigeria as Country and Citizen as Status, does he need to fill the from and to date? If so, what will be the from date? Will it be birth date? What will be the To date? Will it be present date or left blank?

For Question 3 How many family members, including you, are in this application?
Does the applicant select 1 or 2? It's just the applicant(Husband) and sponsor(Wife)

Thanks you for your time!
13c. Her name as it is in her passport.

10. If you select citizen, the other fields grey out. You don't do anything for greyed out fields.

3. Only applicants are included in the count, not the sponsor.

Godsdaughter

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
13c. Her name as it is in her passport.

10. If you select citizen, the other fields grey out. You don't do anything for greyed out fields.

3. Only applicants are included in the count, not the sponsor.
Thank you so much for your response.

I have two other questions I will need your help with.
1. We just got married in late December last year so my wife has not done any change of name to her passport, bank account, SIN card etc. She still bears her maiden names. Do you advise we change my wife's name on all documents inclu international passport before applying for PR Spouse visa or should we go ahead and apply with her maiden names on the application forms and documents?

2. If the wife of the applicant is the sponsor, should she also fill an Imm5406 form(Additional Family Information). So we will submit a total of two Imm5406 form?

Regards,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your response.

I have two other questions I will need your help with.
1. We just got married in late December last year so my wife has not done any change of name to her passport, bank account, SIN card etc. She still bears her maiden names. Do you advise we change my wife's name on all documents inclu international passport before applying for PR Spouse visa or should we go ahead and apply with her maiden names on the application forms and documents?

2. If the wife of the applicant is the sponsor, should she also fill an Imm5406 form(Additional Family Information). So we will submit a total of two Imm5406 form?

Regards,
1. Entirely her personal decision.

2. No.

Godsdaughter

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
1. Entirely her personal decision.

2. No.
I really don't know the rule here. Have people applied in the past without having changed their names from their maiden name to their hubby's name. I will like to play it safe. I am inexperience with this, hence my question. Thanks

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
I really don't know the rule here. Have people applied in the past without having changed their names from their maiden name to their hubby's name. I will like to play it safe. I am inexperience with this, hence my question. Thanks
Changing wife's maiden name to husband's name has nothing to do with the genuine of a marriage. And as Canuck_in_uk said, it is totally a personal choice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Of course they have. This is Canada. Women are not required to change their names when they marry.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
While I agree with above (it does not matter whether spouse take's the other's family name or not), if you wish to be careful, it MAY make sense to do the change of name either before applying OR after completion of the process (i.e. landing in Canada as PR).

This is purely being conservative about avoiding any additional complications during the PR application/assessment process. I'm sure it's possible to effect a change in name during the process, but why introduce any additional complications?

Otherwise entirely a personal choice.

Sarahannclarke5

Sep 19, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
I have changed my name to my name as my hubbys. HOWEVER not on my passport. So on our application, i have used my maiden name. Theres no problem doing that.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
While I agree with above (it does not matter whether spouse take's the other's family name or not), if you wish to be careful, it MAY make sense to do the change of name either before applying OR after completion of the process (i.e. landing in Canada as PR).

This is purely being conservative about avoiding any additional complications during the PR application/assessment process. I'm sure it's possible to effect a change in name during the process, but why introduce any additional complications?

Otherwise entirely a personal choice.
There is no complication or delay to change name during the process, particularly in this case where it is the sponsor. It simply requires sending a copy of the new passport to IRCC to update the name change.

Godsdaughter

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Hi All, thank you so much for your advise so far.

I have three other questions regarding form IMM5532E:

1) For No 5 Address History, do I need to list my address in Nigeria as I have been away from Canada since May 2018 and just got back in December 2019. I was away on sick leave and I was in Nigeria. However, my work and home remained in Canada. I did not loose my job or accommodation.

2) For No 4 Level of Education, I chose Post-graduate studies because I have a masters. Kindly confirm if I am to put 2 years or 18 years for the Number of years completed. 18 years is the total amount of years I have been in school from primary/elementary till date.

3) For No 2 Sponsor's employment history, how to include till date on the To column as I am still presently working there. Do I leave it blank?

Thank you.

Godsdaughter

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Of course they have. This is Canada. Women are not required to change their names when they marry.
Thank you so much for your advise so far.

1) For No 5 Address History, do I need to list my address in Nigeria as I have been away from Canada since May 2018 and just got back in December 2019. I was away on sick leave and I was in Nigeria. However, my work and home remained in Canada. I did not loose my job or accommodation.

2) For No 4 Level of Education, I chose Post-graduate studies because I have a masters. Kindly confirm if I am to put 2 years or 18 years for the Number of years completed. 18 years is the total amount of years I have been in school from primary/elementary till date.

3) For No 2 Sponsor's employment history, how to include till date on the To column as I am still presently working there. Do I leave it blank?

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much for your advise so far.

Thank you.
1. Of course you have to list it. Regardless of the reason or the fact that you kept you Canadian accommodation, you were living outside of Canada for 1.5 years.

2. Doesn't really matter. I would put the Master's degree length.

3. Put "present".

Godsdaughter

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
1. Of course you have to list it. Regardless of the reason or the fact that you kept you Canadian accommodation, you were living outside of Canada for 1.5 years.

2. Doesn't really matter. I would put the Master's degree length.

3. Put "present".
Thank you so much for your support so far. It is much appreciated.

My final question as I am done filling the forms.

Kindly confirm that for IMM5562 - SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION YOUR TRAVELS, the applicant must fill out the sponsor's information in the section titled b) Your spouse or common-law partner. Thanks

Godsdaughter

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Hi All,

Kindly confirm that for IMM5562 - SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION YOUR TRAVELS, the applicant must fill out the sponsor's information in the section titled b) Your spouse or common-law partner. Thanks