+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship, PR and open work permit forms

Discussion in 'Family Class Sponsorship' started by theinituition, Jun 13, 2019.

  1. Hi there.

    In the process of applying for spouse sponsorship inland (no country specific requirements)
    There are 3 applications (will be mailed in one letter all together):
    - Application for the spouse sponsorship (about 7 forms)
    - Application for the PR Card
    - Application for an Open Work Permit

    My questions:
    1. Regarding the PR card/application, are those two forms all I need?:
    imm5444e_PR application.pdf
    They don't say anything about a police record or birth certificate (which I know they would need for a PR).

    2. The open work permit. They just changed the application to be online only. When I try to do it online the site refers me to apply for the spouse sponsorship. But then I have no papers to fill and send in the mail.
    However, I found these forms that I could use:
    Are these the right ones?

    Anything I missed?

    Thank you very much for your time,
  2. 1. Not sure why you think you need to include a PR card application. IRCC/CBSA applies for your first card during your landing.

    2. There is an option to get to the actual paper version of the app.
    Krissh2179 likes this.
  3. Thank you for getting back.
    1. OK, so I only need to use the forms for the spouse sponsorship, not any forms for the actual PR?
    People mention that I should also apply for the PR when sending the papers to them (?) So that part comes automatically.
    2. In the Spouse sponsorship application, there is a link/option to apply for the open work permit? In what form is that?
    Thanks again!
  4. 1. Applying for spousal sponsorship IS applying for PR status. It is one app. Applying for the PR card is an administrative step that CBSA/IRCC will complete for you at landing.

    2. Not sure what you are asking.

  5. 1.OK
    2. How/where do I apply for the open work permit so I can start working asap?
    Getting an open work permit doesn't come automatically when applying for the spouse sponsorship.
  6. inland spousal OWP cannot be applied online (as far as I know).

    You cannot work (unless you already hold a work permit) until the OWP is approved. It takes roughly 4 months for the OWP to be approved.
  7. Yes that's clear. What form to use for applying for the OWP? I will send that with the spouse sponsorship application.
    Thank you so much!
  8. From what I understand, OP is asking if they need a separate form for the OWP? I can see on the checklist (IMM5533e) under Part A section 5 there is a question which asks if you are applying for an OWP with your application. I've selected yes and, as far as I know, that's all I need to do to obtain the OWP (as well as paying the $255).

    Are there separate forms that need downloading and printing to apply?
  9. You need to do a bit more research and reading. This is very clearly explained right in the guide.

    Can my spouse or partner work in Canada?

    If your spouse or common-law partner already has a work permit, they may continue to work as long as the permit is valid.

    If your spouse or common-law partner is living in Canada with you and is applying as a member of the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class, they can also apply for an open work permit when they apply for permanent residence. They must include a completed Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker form [IMM 5710] (PDF, 484.21KB) and the correct fee, explaining that they are applying for an open work permit.
  10. See previous post.

Share This Page