+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship Outland

Rabiya Saj

Oct 16, 2020
Hello Everyone,

If I have a PR card and want to sponsor my husband currently living in Dubai. Do I need to show immigration that I am living in Canada? My lawyer told me that once I land in Canada, i can apply for spouse sponsorship and I can come back to Dubai until my husband gets the PR. Please share your experience here!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone,

If I have a PR card and want to sponsor my husband currently living in Dubai. Do I need to show immigration that I am living in Canada? My lawyer told me that once I land in Canada, i can apply for spouse sponsorship and I can come back to Dubai until my husband gets the PR. Please share your experience here!
Let's clarify: you have a PR card meaning you already landed? How long have you been a PR? Are you in compliance with the residency obligation? Did you get married after you became a PR?

Or do you have a COPR? If COPR, was your spouse put as non-accompanying?

And no, your lawyer is wrong. You must be resident in Canada while sponsoring your spouse - throughout the entire period. You can only submit once in Canada, and you can go for short visits to see your spouse, but if they decide you are residing abroad, they can cancel your application.

Rabiya Saj

Oct 16, 2020
Let's clarify: you have a PR card meaning you already landed? How long have you been a PR? Are you in compliance with the residency obligation? Did you get married after you became a PR? I will be receiving ITA in next draw and I am married for 4 years and I have a baby also.

Or do you have a COPR? If COPR, was your spouse put as non-accompanying? Mentioned spouse as non-accompanying

And no, your lawyer is wrong. You must be resident in Canada while sponsoring your spouse - throughout the entire period. You can only submit once in Canada, and you can go for short visits to see your spouse, but if they decide you are residing abroad, they can cancel your application.
Can you please clarify the meaning of submitting once? My lawyer has mentioned that I can apply once in Canada but I do not require to stay there I can travel back and go after few months once his application is processed. I have to sign the intention to return form.
Let's clarify: you have a PR card meaning you already landed? How long have you been a PR? Are you in compliance with the residency obligation? Did you get married after you became a PR?

Or do you have a COPR? If COPR, was your spouse put as non-accompanying?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Get a new lawyer. If you are not a Canadian citizen, you can NOT sponsor your husband and child if you do not live in Canada.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can you please clarify the meaning of submitting once? My lawyer has mentioned that I can apply once in Canada but I do not require to stay there I can travel back and go after few months once his application is processed. I have to sign the intention to return form.
By 'submitting once in Canada', I meant you must be (once you have arrived and are residing) in Canada.

Again, if I have understood what your lawyer is saying, he is wrong - unless he has some specific knowledge about the program you're applying under, in which case he should provide you the specific reference to confirm.

For spousal sponsorship as a PR, you must be resident in Canada. You can visit your spouse, but if they decide you are not resident, they can cancel your sponsorship application.

Unfortunately IRCC does not give specific guidelines on how long one can be abroad before they consider not resident. Experience from others here suggests visits of a few weeks or less than a month.

But no mistake, if they decide you have just returned and are no longer resident in Canada, they can and may well cancel.

I don't know what the intention to return form is, never heard of it. Has he showed you this form?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Get a new lawyer. If you are not a Canadian citizen, you can NOT sponsor your husband and child if you do not live in Canada.
I applaud this post as succinctly put. (More clear than my own)

Note I said 'make your lawyer show you specifically.' I am quite confident he will not be able to. PRs must be resident in Canada to sponsor their spouses.

I doubt there is such a thing as 'intention to return' form that applies in your case.

And make your own decision, but if your lawyer says stuff and can't back it up by showing you the things he's basing his argument on, it does not inspire confidence.

Reactions: jddd

MBBM

Nov 15, 2021
Hello,

i just received a rejection for my tourist visa. I’m getting married in three months to my fiance, a PRperson residing in Quebec. Will that rejection affect the outland sponsorship application?
P.S: I’m Lebanese residing in the UAE