+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship - in canada class - AOR received-extend visitor visa or apply work permit.

hanzi4389604

Nov 27, 2023
Hello everyone,

As indicated in the title, I sponsored my wife to be PR- In canada class.

My wife is visitor in Canada, and her status is about to expire (she arrived in Canada at July 2023, and almost five months has passed; only one month left legally).

We just received AOR for PR days agao (Nov. 24th), and I have applyed work permit for her yesterday (Nov. 27th). The estimated processing time for work permit is ~ 135 days as indicated in the cic website.

My question is: do my wife need to extend her visitor record? (becuae her visitor status is going to exire, and her work permit is not going to be approved soon before visitor status expire.)

Thank you so much!

Best,
LL

rmtl

Aug 27, 2021
If you apply to OWP your wife will get an legal status however if the application of OWP is rejected after the visa expired, your wife will be out of status.
I was in the same shoes, my partner is on visitor visa, and I applied for sponsorship application, so what we did, we extended the visa, before it expired and we explained that we will apply for sponsorship, my partner got extended for a year (within 30 days) now we can apply OWP after the AOR comfortably just in case the OWP was returned.

Reactions: hanzi4389604

hanzi4389604

Nov 27, 2023
If you apply to OWP your wife will get an legal status however if the application of OWP is rejected after the visa expired, your wife will be out of status.
I was in the same shoes, my partner is on visitor visa, and I applied for sponsorship application, so what we did, we extended the visa, before it expired and we explained that we will apply for sponsorship, my partner got extended for a year (within 30 days) now we can apply OWP after the AOR comfortably just in case the OWP was returned.
Great appreciate for sharing your case! I got the information. Cross finger for your and mine application.:)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if the OWP was rejected (for some reason) the op's wife would have time to apply for Restoration of Status. Having paid for the OWP and then paying for an extension of visitor status...seems a bit of a cash grab IMHO.

Reactions: hanzi4389604

hanzi4389604

Nov 27, 2023
Even if the OWP was rejected (for some reason) the op's wife would have time to apply for Restoration of Status. Having paid for the OWP and then paying for an extension of visitor status...seems a bit of a cash grab IMHO.
Thank you man! Your information is valuable!