+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship for US citizen to Canada

Jangirl4

Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I plan to Marry my fiancé in Canada , he’s from the United States. I was told that , the best option is spouse sponsorship . Is the waiting period really 12 months ? He would then have to return back to United States after we marry I was told ? I just want to get some answers for the easiest possible way in doing this . I was also told if he was to stay in Canada with me, he cannot work till application is approved , and this is not the best option for us at the moment .

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Hi, I plan to Marry my fiancé in Canada , he’s from the United States. I was told that , the best option is spouse sponsorship . Is the waiting period really 12 months ? He would then have to return back to United States after we marry I was told ? I just want to get some answers for the easiest possible way in doing this . I was also told if he was to stay in Canada with me, he cannot work till application is approved , and this is not the best option for us at the moment .
If you get married and then want to apply for spousal sponsorship, you have the option of applying outland or inland.

Outland means your spouse continues to live in the US after you are married. They will not be given any status (besides "visitor") in Canada until their application is approved and they have landed as a new PR. However, they are allowed to visit you while the application is in progress. Outland applications for the US are usually processed a bit faster but can still take 6-12 months to be completed. Once PR is approved, your spouse can come to Canada and immediately apply for a SIN and begin working with PR status. Some people prefer this method because it allows them to continue working for the longest possible time without interruption and it takes less time for the application to be processed.

Inland means he is living in Canada (most likely with you) while you wait for a decision. Your spouse can apply for an open work permit at the same time as you submit the application for sponsorship. The work permit is usually processed in 3-4 months, and he may not begin working until after the work permit is issued. Inland applications take a bit longer to process (often the full 12+ months) but allow your spouse to live and work in Canada while you wait. Some people prefer this method because it allows them to begin living with their partner right away.

I recommend you check out the Family Class Sponsorship section of the forum for more information.

Jul 29, 2019
The quickest route is Express Entry(EE) if he has enough points in my view. If one applicant's score is high enough, EE is much quicker than spouse sponsorship.

My impression is 80% of Federal Skilled Worker(FSW) invitees under EE got processed within 4 months.

However, the key is If one applicant's score is high enough.

So research about FSW of EE yourself or tell him to do that.

Jangirl4

Aug 1, 2019
The quickest route is Express Entry(EE) if he has enough points in my view. If one applicant's score is high enough, EE is much quicker than spouse sponsorship.

My impression is 80% of Federal Skilled Worker(FSW) invitees under EE got processed within 4 months.

Hi , thank you this sounds way easier and faster. Do you know how or where I can get the forms or there’s a link for him to log in right ? Is this the same if he has his own company or wanted to open his own business in Canada when he arrives ? I’m having trouble looking for the log in .

Jul 29, 2019

Jangirl4

Aug 1, 2019
Hi , thank you this sounds way easier and faster. Do you know how or where I can get the forms or there’s a link for him to log in right ? Is this the same if he has his own company or wanted to open his own business in Canada when he arrives ? I’m having trouble looking for the log in .
Hi, I don’t understand that online form , why does it ask to submit banking information ? Is this the correct link for online ? I’m confused with this ? Is EE only online ? Thank you.