+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship for PR & work permit running out

trevvy

Feb 6, 2010
I have been in canada working for over 2 & 1/2 years, been with my fiance 2years living together and getting married in June, and a baby due april/may time, my work permit is done at the end of the month and i dont know how i can go about doing anything to stay in canada legal with my fiance, as it states in the paperwork the CIC give out, you cant leave the country while your application is in process or you lose ur application so im really unsure of what i can do as everything takes so long to process. I have been told i can go into the usa for a while then come back as a visitor for 6months but im worried i'll lose my application, could someone please advise me on what i could do.

Please Help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are currently doing an inland sponsorship? You can send in a request to change your status to visitor while you wait. They will not kick you out while you are doing inland. Just make sure you mention your inland file number on your change of status request.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
If you applied inland you should have included with your inland application an application to extend your stay and that would have given you the ability to continue working at your current job until first stage approval. That's probably the only advantage to applying inland and yet nobody told you that??!!

If you applied outland, you still have the option to apply to extend your status as a visitor - with proof of your common law relationship and your PR ap in process, you should have no problem being extended. But if you have an inland ap in process, you're best to try to get an extension application "matched up" to your inland ap in Vegreville - otherwise, when your permit expires and Vegreville doesn't have evidence that you have applied to extend, they'll assume you're out of status and transfer your application to your local CIC office. That could be disasterous if they're backlogged because you could wait a couple of years before you even get first stage approval - and, you're right, if you leave Canada and you're not readmitted (which is always at the discretion of the IO assessing you at the border) you're inland ap goes down the toilet.

Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

trevvy

Feb 6, 2010
no nobody told me i could have included an extension to work or stay so i would assume that i now apply to extend my status as a visitor until this first stage of approval, and also include an application for an open work permit to work if/when the first stage goes through..?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't heard before that an inland can extend an expiring work permit but if that is true, you should definitely attempt to do that. You can call CIC and ask or just send in the papers. Use a change of status form and apply to extend work permit based on that you have an inland application. Make sure to mention your file number. Just in case this is not possible, fill out another change of status form requesting to change your status to visitor but write on it in the comments section that you want to do this only if you can not extend your work permit. The 3rd change of status form would be to apply for your open work permit to be granted at your first stage approval. Then write a cover letter with the whole thing stating what it is that you want as in:

I would like to:
1 a) request to extend my work permit based on my inland application
1 b) should 1a) not be possible, please change my status to visitor
2) request open work permit to be granted upon first stage approval of my inland application

trevvy

Feb 6, 2010
should i have received something or anything by now if the received it Oct 13 2009, and began processing PR Dec 4?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wouldn't give them 3 payments. If they extend your current work permit because of your inland, that is one fee. If they can't do that, they can use that fee towards the visitor status. Another fee for the open work permit. The first stage approval takes on average about 6 months so you should not have heard anything yet.

trevvy

Feb 6, 2010
would you reccommend applying through the online option they now offer or to fill in all the paperwork then send it that way?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does the online option allow you the space to explain your case properly? If yes, then you can do that.

trevvy

Feb 6, 2010
i think id be better of to apply with the paper work as id have to pay all the fees otherwise, this way i can just give them the 2 payments

trevvy

Feb 6, 2010
may seem a silly Q, but i am just wanting to make sure that i just apply for

(A)extension of temporary resident status as visitor
(B)an initial work permit or extension of work permit x2

trevvy

Feb 6, 2010
Its been about a month now since my status got changed to Visitor, and i cannot work or do anything, i am really bored, and still waiting for lil baby to come (anyday now) just wondering if i should send any other supporting documents to help my case, or do i just wait for an outcome, the longer it takes the more worried i get that im not going to get into this first stage approval and get back into work.

Also i know it states that your not supposed to leave the country but with getting married in june, me and my fiance have had our honeymoon booked for nearly 2years now, am i able to go on that or would that have been a waste of money?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is recommended that you don't leave Canada during your inland processing because in case you are denied entry back to Canada, your application can not continue being processed. I do not know how likely it is that you would be denied entry coming back. If you are visa exempt, maybe it is not very likely. It is still a risk that you take if you leave.

true-love

Star Member
Nov 4, 2009
hello brothers and sisters i need a help so am from morocco and my wife from canada she payed for my filles 1040 $ and i had a intervew in march and my wife said that the ambassy will giving me a visa and a permanent residence card here in ( morocco ) and i have been waiting 31 days and no call ( the woman in the ambassy said in march we will calling you ) now no answers and my medical expired next week
if you have any information let me know and god helps you
am waiting the replay