+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse sponsorship advise needed please**

far horizon

Apr 1, 2016
I need someone to shed light on this matter please, I have come to Canada as skilled worker in 2019 with my spouse ,she was the main applicant, after we've landed in Quebec and obtained our Permanent residence status we've lived together until 2020 when our relationship has broke down, currently we are separated and waiting for the divorce. My question is: Can I sponsor new wife to Canada or do I have to wait 5 years? I have had very conflicting advise on this matter hence I am seeking clarification. Thanks in advance

lynnklee

May 9, 2020
If you are her sponsor, I'm preeeetty sure you're still responsible for her.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

By applying to sponsor, you agreed to be financially responsible for her for atleast 3 years and you'll be considered ineligible to sponsor a new person until the terms have been met.

As for when you can sponsor a new person, I'm not sure. You'd think it'd be after the 3 years but its possible its 5 years, idk how it applies to skilled worker entries. call ircc

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are her sponsor, I'm preeeetty sure you're still responsible for her.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

By applying to sponsor, you agreed to be financially responsible for her for atleast 3 years and you'll be considered ineligible to sponsor a new person until the terms have been met.

As for when you can sponsor a new person, I'm not sure. You'd think it'd be after the 3 years but its possible its 5 years, idk how it applies to skilled worker entries. call ircc
Incorrect. They migrated together through an economic immigration stream. The primary applicant is not responsible for the dependents and there's no wait time to sponsor a new partner after getting a divorce.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I need someone to shed light on this matter please, I have come to Canada as skilled worker in 2019 with my spouse ,she was the main applicant, after we've landed in Quebec and obtained our Permanent residence status we've lived together until 2020 when our relationship has broke down, currently we are separated and waiting for the divorce. My question is: Can I sponsor new wife to Canada or do I have to wait 5 years? I have had very conflicting advise on this matter hence I am seeking clarification. Thanks in advance
There is no wait time to sponsor a new spouse since to immigrated through an economic immigration stream.

You can sponsor your new spouse once you have gotten married. Make sure you wait for the divorce to be 100% finalized before getting married.

The 5 year rule only applies to individuals who were sponsored by their Canadian spouses through the family sponsorship stream. Since you immigrated through an economic immigration stream, this rule does not apply to you. There's no wait time.

far horizon

Apr 1, 2016
There is no wait time to sponsor a new spouse since to immigrated through an economic immigration stream.

You can sponsor your new spouse once you have gotten married. Make sure you wait for the divorce to be 100% finalized before getting married.

The 5 year rule only applies to individuals who were sponsored by their Canadian spouses through the family sponsorship stream. Since you immigrated through an economic immigration stream, this rule does not apply to you. There's no wait time.
Thank you Scylla for your valuable advise, I do concur with your statement 100%. The 5 years ban does not apply in my case

Five-year sponsorship bar [R130(3)]
A person who became a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen after being sponsored as spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner is barred from sponsoring a spouse or partner within five years of becoming a permanent resident, even if they acquired citizenship during that period. The five years is counted back from the day on which the sponsorship application – as part of a complete application package – is received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

A sponsor who became a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen after being sponsored as a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner under subsection 13(1) of the Act may not sponsor a foreign national referred to in subsection (1) as a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner unless the sponsor has been a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen, or a combination of the two, for a period of at least five years immediately preceding the day on which a sponsorship application referred to in paragraph (1)(c) is filed by the sponsor in respect of the foreign national.

sahra farhan

Aug 5, 2019

If you have sponser ur wife then you have to wait 3 years or if she sponsered you then once you get ur divorce papers then just sponsered ur new wife because its illegal to stay in canada with 2 wife with out divorced 1st one

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can definitely sponsor a spouse but I would expect more scrutiny given you separated relatively soon after arriving in Canada and you seem to be suggesting that you are planning on getting remarried soon after your divorce is finalized

Reactions: YVR123