+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorhip

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Actually, it’s “may not be able to sponsor”, so there is a possibility he can. That said, given 12 counts of assault (1 with a weapon) i would expect it to be a long, drawn out process. If he was a PR I’d suspect he would be on a potential deportation list.
Assault with a weapon is an indictable offence punishable by a maximum sentence of 14 years.

The Operational Bulletin 361 describes amendments to the regulations that:

Provide that anyone convicted of an indictable offence involving the use of violence punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years or an attempt to commit such an offence be barred from sponsorship.

Reactions: Buletruck

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Interesting. They need to update the website.
The "may" refers to the fact that assault charges with a statutory maximum sentence of less than 10 years are not an automatic ban. It's technically correct. However, since assault with a weapon has a max of 14, it is a ban.

Purplenurple

Jun 12, 2021
It may be very difficult. What kind of criminal record?

Many criminal convictions disqualify you from sponsoring someone.
Hi!
My husband is Russian and I am a Canadian citizen. We met online 2 years ago and lived together for 6 months and got married. I want to sponsor him and need some advice. My husband lives in a different country than Russia because he was arrested for picketing. The crime is of a non-violent nature. He was simply protesting for environmental reasons. Unfortunately because of repeatedly protesting he was handed a harsher sentence that would include jail time. He fled the country and unsuccessfully tried to claim asylum in different countries. Unfortunately at the time he didn't have the necessary papers to prove his case. We have gathered the documents now. Would my spousal sponsorship application be rejected because of his criminal history or his unsuccessful asylum application in America?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi!
My husband is Russian and I am a Canadian citizen. We met online 2 years ago and lived together for 6 months and got married. I want to sponsor him and need some advice. My husband lives in a different country than Russia because he was arrested for picketing. The crime is of a non-violent nature. He was simply protesting for environmental reasons. Unfortunately because of repeatedly protesting he was handed a harsher sentence that would include jail time. He fled the country and unsuccessfully tried to claim asylum in different countries. Unfortunately at the time he didn't have the necessary papers to prove his case. We have gathered the documents now. Would my spousal sponsorship application be rejected because of his criminal history or his unsuccessful asylum application in America?
You can try to sponsor him and send the application.