+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorhip

grasheldon

Oct 15, 2019
hi... my fiance wants to sponsor me.. im from philippines... is it possible to sponsor me even he has criminal record inside canada?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It may be very difficult. What kind of criminal record?

Many criminal convictions disqualify you from sponsoring someone.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If he went to jail, he was convicted. Unless it was pre trial detention. You need to be very clear with your terms.

grasheldon

Oct 15, 2019
If he went to jail, he was convicted. Unless it was pre trial detention. You need to be very clear with your terms.
he was convicted.. 11 counts of common assault and 1 assault with a weapon. but he already talked with two lawyers.. they told he need to wait a minimum of 5 years before he can try to sponsor. but it doesnt guarantee.. do you know any case like this? did they got denied or approved? thanks for your answers.... we're loosing hope..

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Right now he cannot sponsor. I'm not sure about the five year thing. The website is very clear, you cannot sponsor a spouse if you were convicted of attempting, threatening to commit or committing a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence inside or outside Canada

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Right now he cannot sponsor. I'm not sure about the five year thing. The website is very clear, you cannot sponsor a spouse if you were convicted of attempting, threatening to commit or committing a violent criminal offence, any offence against a relative or any sexual offence inside or outside Canada

Actually, it’s “may not be able to sponsor”, so there is a possibility he can. That said, given 12 counts of assault (1 with a weapon) i would expect it to be a long, drawn out process. If he was a PR I’d suspect he would be on a potential deportation list.