+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse-Postgraduate Work Permit

dodo86

Sep 24, 2014
Hi,

my name's Edoardo. I'll complete the defence of my PhD in early November and I plan to apply for a Postgraduate Work Permit after that. From what I read it seems that my wife (currently holding an open work permit issued as a wife of an international student) cannot obtain an extension of her open work permit, because I cannot prove I have a job in NOC 0, A, B (how could I? I AM STILL A STUDENT!!!! ). It seems like we can do it after I find such a job...my question is: my study permit (and so her work permit) will expire on December 31st 2016, when I apply for my PGWP, should my wife apply for extending her stay as a "visitor"? Do we need to do anything specific?

This is surreal...essentially they are asking my wife to resign, wait for me to get a job, then apply again...

Thanks

Edoardo

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - if you aren't working in a full time NOC A, B or 0 job by the time you have to apply for your PGWP, your wife will have to apply to change her status to visitor and stop working as soon as her open work permit expires. Once you have a full time job meeting the requirements, she can then apply for a new open work permit.

dodo86

Sep 24, 2014
As I thought...thanks for the info. I still don't understand the logic behind it...it's fine to issue an open work permit for my wife when I am a student, but then, it's not ok after I finish my program and become a very high skilled worker...This is forcing my wife to leave her job and basically stay home with nothing to do for months...absolutely ridiculous