+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit

harshkey

Jun 22, 2009
I am currently an international student in Canada and my studies will start at the end of January next month. My spouse is with me in Canada so is it recommended to apply for the spouse open work permit now or after my studies have started next month for a better chance of approval? Since it does take some time to actually get the work permit? Appreciate the information!

EssKay1234

Oct 25, 2022
You can apply for the SOWP even right now. There is no problem in that. In fact the process will be fast as she is with you in Canada

Me_A

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021
You can apply for the SOWP even right now. There is no problem in that. In fact the process will be fast as she is with you in Canada
I also have my visa approved but am not yet in Canada can my spouse apply for SOWP now or I should wait till I land in canada

EssKay1234

Oct 25, 2022
Well I suggest you to apply once you arrive in Canada or even tho it is okay u can apply from here too but the timeline for processing is different.

Last edited:

Me_A

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021
Why did you write, ‘im international student in Canada.’’ I thought you arrived in Canada already. Well I suggest you to apply once you arrive in Canada physically. I hope she has a visitor visa approved ? Or even if it isnt its okay.
we are 2 different people who asked the question

soniclife

Star Member
Aug 12, 2020
Ive applied for study permit and Spousal open work permit together before arriving to Canada. It makes things easier.

But if you are already here you can apply now dont have to wait for study to start

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
My wife requested her SOWP extension after I got my PGWP by the end of July. In September we moved to a different city, so she sent a webform changing her mailing address by mid-September. She got her approval two weeks ago, but we noticed that the approval letter had the old address. we paid for a mail forwarding service at Canada Post but it took 5 days to be enabled. Now I'm worried that her WP is at the old address.

Is there something we can do? Can she request a new copy to be sent to our new address?