+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

pramod104

Oct 8, 2019
Sowp doesn't come under work permit extension because when u log into Gov website it shows options
Work permit inside Canada
Work permit outside Canada
But in case where it is written work permit extension no inside outside is stated because it is deemed that work permit extension is for the person who already has a valid work permit
I understand that it doesn't come under work-permit extension but the processing times come under that (again not stated by me, if you go back to March 11 2019 conversation, you can see) and by looking at the processing times it looks realistic than any other category (with other category we could have got the visa's by now and our spouses would be working by now)

maba

Star Member
May 21, 2014
I am applying for SOWP. In the form imm5257 the first question as if I am principle applicant or spouse of principle applicant.
I am confused that which should I tick as I am a spouse of a skilled worker who is already working in Canada on a close work permit.
Please someone reply urgently.
Thanks

sharmamukesh2082

Aug 4, 2019
I understand that it doesn't come under work-permit extension but the processing times come under that (again not stated by me, if you go back to March 11 2019 conversation, you can see) and by looking at the processing times it looks realistic than any other category (with other category we could have got the visa's by now and our spouses would be working by now)
sir i had applied owp on 18 may 2019 and submitted biometrics on 2nd june 2019 and now they are working on file received on 09th june according to work permit extension but still i did not get any information regarding my application. could please help me to know about the exact processing time.

squgeim

Aug 18, 2018
I am in Canada with a one-year study permit for September session. My wife applied for Open Work Permit on 16 Sep 2019. We have linked the paper application online and it is stuck at "Background Check" and "Reviewing Eligibility". We haven't received a request for medical yet.

Has anyone gotten a response for August/September application?

Country of application: Nepal (processing at IRCC, New Delhi)

Alliecattie

Oct 15, 2019
Hi All

My partner and I live in the UK. We've lived together longer than 10 years now, so classed as common-law partners.
He will be applying for a work permit as he's been offered a job in Toronto - my question is, can I apply for an open-work permit when he applies? Or do I need to wait for his permit to be processed before applying for mine?

Also, the company are thinking of taking him over as a foreign temp worker whilst they wait for the permit to be approved - could I go over with him whilst we wait?

Thank you :) :)

pramod104

Oct 8, 2019
sir i had applied owp on 18 may 2019 and submitted biometrics on 2nd june 2019 and now they are working on file received on 09th june according to work permit extension but still i did not get any information regarding my application. could please help me to know about the exact processing time.
I am not sure how I can help you here, I am in the same boat as yours. Perhaps you have to login and check the status of your application, hopefully there would be some change in status other than 'Under processing'

usmanshk

Aug 28, 2019
Hi, I applied for my wife's SOWP who is in Pakistan.
First her Visa was rejected due to my lawyers stupidity - so Biometrics were already performed.

New Application submitted - 6 September 2019
Medical submitted upfront.
Biometrics (from previous application)
Medical Passed - 13 September 2019.

Eligibility and Background in process. What am i supposed to do? does this take that much time?

Atta palwasha

Oct 6, 2019
Hi, I applied for my wife's SOWP who is in Pakistan.
First her Visa was rejected due to my lawyers stupidity - so Biometrics were already performed.

New Application submitted - 6 September 2019
Medical submitted upfront.
Biometrics (from previous application)
Medical Passed - 13 September 2019.

Eligibility and Background in process. What am i supposed to do? does this take that much time?
Yes dear it will take atleast 4 months.. you need to wait patiently, I'm in the same boat.. applied on 25th of june ,& after biometric not even a signal update biometric and it still shows that "we are reviewing your application and will send you a message once final decision has been made"

usmanshk

Aug 28, 2019
Yes dear it will take atleast 4 months.. you need to wait patiently, I'm in the same boat.. applied on 25th of june ,& after biometric not even a signal update biometric and it still shows that "we are reviewing your application and will send you a message once final decision has been made"
But i heard that after medical passed the process is much quicker!!

Oct 14, 2019
hey all,

Am a self-employed photographer in India. My wife has gone to Canada on a student visa for this September intake (MBA program ) in New Brunswick. I will try to list out the multiple questions I have.

1. Am I eligible for an open work permit? ( that's what Canada immigration says, just want to reconfirm with you guys)

2. Which is the best & fastest way to get Openwork Permit? Online application or Paper application through VFS?

3. What is the checklist before going for an Open work permit?

4. Can I go for Pre Medical test (my city panel doctors are the worst & very slow )

5. What are the chances of me getting a dependent visa?

TIA
Sravan Venkat.

Jagan1992

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
hey all,

Am a self-employed photographer in India. My wife has gone to Canada on a student visa for this September intake (MBA program ) in New Brunswick. I will try to list out the multiple questions I have.

1. Am I eligible for an open work permit? ( that's what Canada immigration says, just want to reconfirm with you guys)

2. Which is the best & fastest way to get Openwork Permit? Online application or Paper application through VFS?

3. What is the checklist before going for an Open work permit?

4. Can I go for Pre Medical test (my city panel doctors are the worst & very slow )

5. What are the chances of me getting a dependent visa?

TIA
Sravan Venkat.
Yes you are eligible for SOWP , apply on paper because in such cases there are plenty of documents to be attached so applying online seems less feasible
Documents reqd will be
Your wife academics
SIN
GIC
PART TIME EMPLOYMENT DOCS
INVITATION
SOP
Your FINACIALS
BANK STATEMENTS
TAX RETURNS
YOUR ACADEMICS
MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
WHATSAPP CHATS PICS
WEDDING AND CASUAL PICS

Oct 14, 2019
Yes you are eligible for SOWP , apply on paper because in such cases there are plenty of documents to be attached so applying online seems less feasible
Documents reqd will be
Your wife academics
SIN
GIC
PART TIME EMPLOYMENT DOCS
INVITATION
SOP
Your FINACIALS
BANK STATEMENTS
TAX RETURNS
YOUR ACADEMICS
MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
WHATSAPP CHATS PICS
WEDDING AND CASUAL PICS
Hey Jagan,

Thank you for the Quick Reply. I need more clarity on the documents you have mentioned, please help

wife academics (check)
SIN (check)
GIC (How much that should be? )
PART-TIME EMPLOYMENT DOCS ( I don't have any, is this compulsory )
Invitation (from who)
SOP Check.

Bank Statements (check)
Tax returns (check)
Academics (check)
Marriage Certificate(check)
WhatsApp Chats (its 5years relationship before marriage, what exactly does it mean by screenshots)
Pictures (check)

TIA

Jagan1992

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
GIC statements is the minimum guaranteed amount of 10k cad which your wife would have deposited at the time of filing her Visa if she has taken loan for study then she would not have GIC and for WhatsApp chat take screenshots of past 2 or 3 months chat history and get them printed on photo paper no matter if your marriage is 5 years old or not its mandatory nowadays and invite will be sent by your wife for calling you from India it's more like a self declaration and is attested by