+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Unsung

Jun 13, 2016
canadaohh said:
I applied for SOWP on March 30. There is no update yet. A week back I linked my paper application to my online profile. The status says I passed medical and the application is in progress and the Final decision has not been made yet.

I noticed that they take 1-week process visitor visa application. Can I apply for visitor visa online and run 2 application at the same time? If I get visitor visa, Can I withdraw SOWP?

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks.
I think you can't have 2 temporary visa files together.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
canadaohh said:
I applied for SOWP on March 30. There is no update yet. A week back I linked my paper application to my online profile. The status says I passed medical and the application is in progress and the Final decision has not been made yet.

I noticed that they take 1-week process visitor visa application. Can I apply for visitor visa online and run 2 application at the same time? If I get visitor visa, Can I withdraw SOWP?

Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks.
I haven't heard of an explicit rule not allowing two temporary apps together. But the grounds that make you eligible for SOWP usually make you ineligible for a short visit visa. That would likely result in refusal of visit visa and might complicate your SOWP application.

Besides, you cannot withdraw SOWP application (if you are expecting return of funds).

But why would you do that. Visit visa is for 6 months max stay in one go, doesn't get you medical coverage in Canada. SOWP allows you to stay in Canada for as long as your principal spouse is there and allows health care.

Just be patient and follow up once a month for your SOWP app

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Justin william said:
Hi fki,
Hope u r fine,
I applied swop 2nd attmpt,
From in canada thru a consultant online application,
My consultant dint gve me the login id passwrd said she eill let us knw if ders sny update
And dhe gave us the application no start from W...
Is der any other way whr i cn check the status of my application??
Plzzz help itz been a month no update

Thank you...
There is no standard process for getting updates. Once the stated average processing time is passed you can submit a case specific inquiry online.

sap_sap

Apr 25, 2017
Hello Guys,

I am currently working in Canada on PGWP. I got married in Dec 2016.

My wife is currently working in California and we applied for her WP.

Last week, we noticed that we did not submit my UCI/WP copy and other employment proofs. So we have added the documents through CSE (IRCC Web Form).

Question: Does the web form work to attach additional documents with the original WP application? Will the case officer consider these additional documents? I know there is a risk of them not accepting new docs as they are added later.

Appreciate your response. Thanks.

winner98

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
Hello seniors,

I sent multiple emails to cic and also submitted the web form to add my medical results to my SOWP application and today after almost 2 months of submitting the Emails and after 4 months of submitting my application today I received the first response and here is what the email says:
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to modify the information you provided in the online profile after you have been found ineligible or if your Invitation to Apply (ITA) has expired.

We invite you to submit a new profile if you wish to return to the pool of candidates.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
www.cic.gc.ca

** Does this mean that my file is rejected and I have to apply again. Or it is a wrong response as ITA is used for PR application.

winner98

Star Member
Feb 28, 2017
winner98 said:
Hello seniors,

I sent multiple emails to cic and also submitted the web form to add my medical results to my SOWP application and today after almost 2 months of submitting the Emails and after 4 months of submitting my application today I received the first response and here is what the email says:
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to modify the information you provided in the online profile after you have been found ineligible or if your Invitation to Apply (ITA) has expired.

We invite you to submit a new profile if you wish to return to the pool of candidates.

Sincerely,

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
www.cic.gc.ca

** Does this mean that my file is rejected and I have to apply again. Or it is a wrong response as ITA is used for PR application.
My cic account still says my file as submitted and under processing.

sap_sap

Apr 25, 2017
sap_sap said:
Hello Guys,

Last week, we noticed that we did not submit my UCI/WP copy and other employment proofs. So we have added the documents through CSE (IRCC Web Form).

Question: Does the web form work to attach additional documents with the original WP application? Will the case officer consider these additional documents? I know there is a risk of them not accepting new docs as they are added later.

Hello FKL, Could you please share your thoughts?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sap_sap said:
Hello Guys,

Assuming your application has not already been processed and likely refused by a case officer, and you submit this in time (it takes usually some one in CIC 10-15 days to attach info t your app), it will likely be added to your file.

If i were you and i had already added this info via CSE, i would just follow up with CIC (call their helpline in the morning to try confirming if they have actually attached this info to your file).

Good luck

paul234

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2017
Doc's Request.
03-05-17
Med's Request
03-05-17
Interview........
03-05-17
Passport Req..
...waiting...
sap_sap said:
Hello Guys,

Went thru exact same situation.
submitted sowp for wife, did not submit any of my documents. (wp, offer letter, pay stubs)
later submitted them via CSE.
got email after 3 weeks saying documents have been received.
since the application was taking too long, I requested GCMS notes (and got them yest.)
It mentioned receipt of my docs, including my UCI, work permit expiry etc.

Short summary: they do accept documents when you submit it via CSE, but it wont show up in your cic account. also, even if they accept the document, it is up to the VO to decide whether to consider them when making a decision on your application.

Abdelahhad

Jan 1, 2017
Hi all,
I am from Syria, I hold a Ph.D from Malaysia and currently I got a Job offer from university of Toronto as a Postdoctoral fellow (LMIA exempted).
When I applied first time I got my application rejected cause I applied from Malaysia not from my country Syria.
Other reasons for rejection were personal assets and fund. My wife applied with me for an open work permit. However, her application got rejected as well.
I am planning to re apply for a second time after making my contract better with the University in terms of salary and duration.
my question is:
- is it necessary to show a bank account statement for my wife how is accompanying me to Canada ?
- Can we establish the bank account now or it must be an old one ?
what to do if we do not have much savings?
we are going there on a work permit not a student permit, is sowing fund required at this occasion?

Thank you very much

soh075

Aug 22, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
Job Offer........
Yes
IELTS Request
Speaking 6.5, Writing 7.0, Reading 7.0, Listening 7.5
Any update for march 2017 sowp applicant???????????????? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

sababx

Feb 15, 2017
Calgary
Visa Office......
Canada
NOC Code......
soh075 said:
Any update for march 2017 sowp applicant???????????????? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I applied on 1st of April and I haven't received any notification. Hopefully March applicants have something to cheer about. When did you submit yours?

soh075

Aug 22, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
Job Offer........
Yes
IELTS Request
Speaking 6.5, Writing 7.0, Reading 7.0, Listening 7.5
I had applied on 20th March 2017