+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

AEE11

Jan 26, 2013
GreenHak said:
U should submit your valid passport booklet and previous passports to vfs if you are submitting a paper based application.

I submitted my sowp application two days ago to vfs. I submitted my original passport( the booklet) and a passport photocopy ( photo page and address page) along with my supporting documents.

If u are doing an online application, you should submit your original passport to vfs on request by CIC to stamp the visa in your passport.

I hope this helps
I'm going to submit paper application only. Sorry I'm very new to SOWP. could you please tell me what is passport booklet? When you're saying passport booklet does that mean original passport?

Also I was thinking that CIC only ask for passport once they think that candidate is eligible and then only they will ask for passport to stamp it

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2016 - Paper Application
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Submitted with Application
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
AEE11 said:
I'm going to submit paper application only. Sorry I'm very new to SOWP. could you please tell me what is passport booklet? When you're saying passport booklet does that mean original passport?

Also I was thinking that CIC only ask for passport once they think that candidate is eligible and then only they will ask for passport to stamp it
Yes original passport. I don't know about submitting a paper based application without the original passport. Whenever, we applied paper based, we submit the original passport.

Just submit the original passport along with your documents to VFS.

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
Jojy Jose said:
I applied on 27th Oct2015 and still no updates from CIC..!!
Student spouse or spouse of a worker

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
Jojy Jose said:
Student spouse what about you?
Same. I replied your PM.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Dear fkl and other senior members,

I applied spouse dependent visa to my family members when I was on closed work permit. Once my family arrived here, I have applied admission for my wife in a college and applied student permit and spouse dependent work permit for me. Both of them got the permits. She has taken 2 years course. Now my question is:
1) Once she complete her education, she will get her 3 years PG W permit. Do I get 3 years permit as well or I have already got 2 years open permit expiring feb 2017,So I will only get 2 more years or Do they consider my closed work permit time duration as well. Since the CIC mentined the work permit will be only max of 4 years.

Thanks,
Kalpan

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
kalpan said:
Dear fkl and other senior members,

I applied spouse dependent visa to my family members when I was on closed work permit. Once my family arrived here, I have applied admission for my wife in a college and applied student permit and spouse dependent work permit for me. Both of them got the permits. She has taken 2 years course. Now my question is:
1) Once she complete her education, she will get her 3 years PG W permit. Do I get 3 years permit as well or I have already got 2 years open permit expiring feb 2017,So I will only get 2 more years or Do they consider my closed work permit time duration as well. Since the CIC mentined the work permit will be only max of 4 years.

Thanks,
Kalpan
Hi Kalpan,

I can answer part of your question.

1) Once your spouse complete her studies she will get PGWP, you will not get your open work permit based on her PGWP.

I will leave the rest (4 year rule) to FKL.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Hi GreenHak,
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, Some of my friends also told that my wife should have to show the working proof once she gets her PGWP in any field. Once she started working then only I can apply my dependent open work permit. Please suggest if I am wrong. Because one of my friend is in similar situation and he got his spouse open permit after his wife got the new job on PGWP.

Thanks,
Kalpan

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
kalpan said:
Hi GreenHak,
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, Some of my friends also told that my wife should have to show the working proof once she gets her PGWP in any field. Once she started working then only I can apply my dependent open work permit. Please suggest if I am wrong. Because one of my friend is in similar situation and he got his spouse open permit after his wife got the new job on PGWP.

Thanks,
Kalpan
There is no condition of "started working". The only requirements are a) Having a PGWP b) Having a skilled job / job offer.

If you have a skilled job offer and are eligible for PGWP, technically you could have applied together for your PGWP + SOWP.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Hello FKL,

I confused with your answer. We both are in Canada right now. Considering if I will be working in a full time permanent role and she is about to apply for her PGWP.

1)Can we apply together for extensions? Or my wife should have an offer letter in order to get extension of mine(SOWP)?

2)My working proof is enough for them to get extension at the same time?

3)If so, Would I get a 3 years extension as well? Since I already got 2 years SOWP when we applied together for her Student permit and my SOWP.

Could you please ellaborate when you have some time?

Thanks,
Kalpan

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
Lemme tell you my views.

Considering you will be working in a full time permanent role and she is about to apply for her PGWP.

1) Can we apply together for extensions? Or my wife should have an offer letter in order to get extension of mine(SOWP)?

If you have a full-time permanent skilled job, you can apply for your own closed work permit after LMIA. It will have nothing to do with your spouse's PGWP.

2) My working proof is enough for them to get extension at the same time?

To simplify the answer, your spouse don't need a job to get PGWP. But if you want to apply with your wife for SOWP, she need a skilled job.

3)If so, Would I get a 3 years extension as well? Since I already got 2 years SOWP when we applied together for her Student permit and my SOWP.

Your eligibility for SOWP as a student's spouse ends when your spouse's study permit expire. If you again want to apply for SOWP, your spouse should have a skilled job during PGWP or an extended study permit.

You would probably get a 3 year SOWP extension if your spouse has a skilled job on PGWP.

I hope this helps.

bbedrich

Mar 4, 2016
Hi everyone.

first of all thanks for all the tremendous work you all are doing here on forum.

I am going to finish my master's degree in Canada. Submitted online for study permit on Feb 1st, approved on Feb 6th.

My spouse's open work permit was also submitted at the same time on Feb 1st but still waiting for approval.(applied online from Czech Republic)

Guys, help me please, i know this is a complex question but how much time is this going to take? I went online to check processing times and it says it does not have enough data to determine current processing times.

The course is starting in 4 weeks and i really need my spouse to accompany me to Canada.

I've seen some cases here that people have been waiting for theirs since december. if this is true, i am very sorry for you guys and hoping you get yours ASAP. It's ridicolous.

Thanks and have a great day!

B.

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
bbedrich said:
Hi everyone.

first of all thanks for all the tremendous work you all are doing here on forum.

I am going to finish my master's degree in Canada. Submitted online for study permit on Feb 1st, approved on Feb 6th.

My spouse's open work permit was also submitted at the same time on Feb 1st but still waiting for approval.(applied online from Czech Republic)

Guys, help me please, i know this is a complex question but how much time is this going to take? I went online to check processing times and it says it does not have enough data to determine current processing times.

The course is starting in 4 weeks and i really need my spouse to accompany me to Canada.

I've seen some cases here that people have been waiting for theirs since december. if this is true, i am very sorry for you guys and hoping you get yours ASAP. It's ridicolous.

Thanks and have a great day!

B.
The unofficial maximum time required for SOWP is 2 months. Comparing to Study permit, SOWP is a time consuming process.

I would suggest you to send a case specific enquiry to CIC regarding your spouse's OWP after waiting for two weeks from now.

Good luck.