+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks! So, regarding health care, it has been renewed and paid for the two of us until April 30, so I believe that even if I were to drop out, say, in a couple of weeks that would still be valid until the end of April?

fkl said:
You got the right information. I wasn't aware of the recent restrictions in study permit programs.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

However, this does not affect or say any thing about the dependent work permit. My take is that they are fine continuing to work till the expiry of their work permit.

E.g. you were issued SP for 2 years and your spouse got SOWP for 2 years. Now you quit your SP 2 months in. Now your institute might report it and according to above info, your SP becomes invalid 90 days after you stopped studying.

However, your Spouse's work permit remains valid till its expiry of 2 years and she can continue working.

You might have issues renewing health care etc. if at that time the principal Study permit is no longer valid. But otherwise, you are fine.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
salvatore270 said:
Thanks! So, regarding health care, it has been renewed and paid for the two of us until April 30, so I believe that even if I were to drop out, say, in a couple of weeks that would still be valid until the end of April?
That's correct, though I was referring to provincial health care which is free. Hence I am not sure if you were referring to private insurance on top of that when you said "paid for the two of us"

salvatore270

Star Member
Dec 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fkl said:
That's correct, though I was referring to provincial health care which is free. Hence I am not sure if you were referring to private insurance on top of that when you said "paid for the two of us"
Yes, our Graduate Students' association private health care supplement, on top on the UHIP

sqid.madoma

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Calgary
Visa Office......
Sydney
AOR Received.
16-11-2021
Hi,

My common law partnner is now on a working holiday permit that will end in April and would like to apply for the SOWP since I am a skilled worker.

On cic she filled the questionnaire and at the end was ask to fill out the form imm5710e "application to change conditions extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker". Is that the good form ?

I a asking because on that form they are asking for my name but nowhere they are asking for my UCI, or passport number or my job

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2016 - Paper Application
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Submitted with Application
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
fkl said:
I really don't have a sample. It just has to say he/she has been attending the program and continuing satisfactorily in academic aspect. What CIC needs is these two things

a) The person is actually studying in his / her program
b) Their current output is satisfactory so they are expected to continue and finish it.

I am sure the professor can word it whatever way he sees appropriate.
Thanks for the all the prompt answers FKL.

I am wondering if I have to mention a definite "Length of my stay".

I have mentioned in my cover letter and wherever applicable that I would like to stay with my wife during her study period and something like that.

Is that fine ? I understood the SOWP is to be given matching the expiry date of my spouse's study permit. And my intention is the same. But should we explicitly mention dates ?

You advice would be very helpful.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
GreenHak said:
Thanks for the all the prompt answers FKL.

I am wondering if I have to mention a definite "Length of my stay".

I have mentioned in my cover letter and wherever applicable that I would like to stay with my wife during her study period and something like that.

Is that fine ? I understood the SOWP is to be given matching the expiry date of my spouse's study permit. And my intention is the same. But should we explicitly mention dates ?

You advice would be very helpful.

You are welcome and No you are good. Just don't try saying "a short visit for a month".

As a norm people try VISITOR TRV stating the above when they are intending to go as a spouse. The reason behind is that a short visit is processed faster at embassy (VISIT) and does not require medicals.

However, it is a classic case of refusal. A spouse going to be with his other half does not intend to visit normally (unless they have been travelling the world for business previously or something). They intend to live together as long as they are there.

So it is obvious. I don't think CIC would even read what you write - unless there is some necessary piece of info they need from letters. They are overrated.

When filling online form / questionnaire or wherever it asks for "duration of intended visit". There used to be 3 options, temp stay less than 6 months, temp stay more than 6 months or permanently. You should have choosen more than 6 months.

sqid.madoma

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Calgary
Visa Office......
Sydney
AOR Received.
16-11-2021
sqid.madoma said:
Hi,

My common law partnner is now on a working holiday permit that will end in April and would like to apply for the SOWP since I am a skilled worker.

On cic she filled the questionnaire and at the end was ask to fill out the form imm5710e "application to change conditions extend my stay or remain in Canada as a worker". Is that the good form ?

I a asking because on that form they are asking for my name but nowhere they are asking for my UCI, or passport number or my job
Can somedy help please ?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sqid.madoma said:
Hi,

Yes this is the right form. Normally it only asks for your UCI if you are an active applicant (i.e. you are also applying along for wp extension or something).

So attaching your wp along with the application as well as proof of relationship and that of you being a skilled worker, is the way to go.

Munny

Nov 15, 2013
[quote author=fkl link=topic=103723.msg5003476#msg5003476 date=14

Thanx Fkl for your advice. If i applying a sowp on behalf of my skiiled job under noc A O And B category then she is eligible to get a owp and she didn't have any job status in india. Even than she will get the owp..?

Thanx in advance

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Munny said:
Thanx Fkl for your advice. If i applying a sowp on behalf of my skiiled job under noc A O And B category then she is eligible to get a owp and she didn't have any job status in india. Even than she will get the owp..?

Thanx in advance
You are welcome.

YES - SOWP eligibility isn't dependent on her job status. It is based upon yours.

However, having a job in India / good education might serve as a strong tie to India.

Having said that, lots of people get it this way. Personally I also got it the same way for my spouse years ago. Although we were coming together i.e. I had an LMIA based skilled job, we applied together and I won't have come over if there was an issue with my spouse or kids permits.

But my spouse hadn't worked in the last 7-8 years (at the time of SOWP application) although she had a masters and some work experience before that

sqid.madoma

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Calgary
Visa Office......
Sydney
AOR Received.
16-11-2021
fkl said:
Yes this is the right form. Normally it only asks for your UCI if you are an active applicant (i.e. you are also applying along for wp extension or something).

So attaching your wp along with the application as well as proof of relationship and that of you being a skilled worker, is the way to go.
Thanks a lot fkl !

What is she supposed to sayf for "Date of your original entry in Canada" and original purpose of entry ?

The fact is she joined me as a tourist, applied for the working holiday visa while in Canada and got it when inside the country. We just went to US and came back for the work permit to be validated.

Is she supposed to give the date she came in as a tourist and give the purpose as "tourist" or give the date she got her work permit validated and say "worker"?

Thank you !

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sqid.madoma said:
Thanks a lot fkl !

What is she supposed to sayf for "Date of your original entry in Canada" and original purpose of entry ?

The fact is she joined me as a tourist, applied for the working holiday visa while in Canada and got it when inside the country. We just went to US and came back for the work permit to be validated.

Is she supposed to give the date she came in as a tourist and give the purpose as "tourist" or give the date she got her work permit validated and say "worker"?

Thank you !
You are welcome. Use the first one - when she came in as tourist. Type of status doesn't matter here. First entry to Canada does.

sudiptosrkr

Feb 15, 2016
sudiptosrkr said:
Going for my flagpolling for SOWP tomorrow.. :-\
Don't know what will happen,keeping my fingers crossed..
successfully did the flagpolling and got my wife's SOWP from the rainbow bridge border.
The process went very smooth; was expecting some questions from the officer but the kind lady issued the WP instantly without even asking anything.
Thanks once again to FKL and NURAT for all your help and knowledge. ;D ;D