+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Jojy Jose

Sep 9, 2015
HI ALL,
I (INDIAN)CURRENTLY IN QATAR HAVE APPLIED FOR OPEN WORK PERMIT(SOWP) FROM CANADA TRU A LAWYER ON OCT-27TH 2015 AND THE STATUS IN ONLINE IS SHOWN AS BELOW,MY WIFE'S STUDY PERMIT WILL EXPIRE IN DEC-2016 SO WILL IT BE AFFECTED AS THE PROCESSING IS TAKING TOO LONG,PLEASE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE CLARIFICATION ON IT AND MY APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED IN INDIA OR QATAR?.THANK YOU IN ADVANCE..

APPLIED ON 27TH OCT 2015
APPLICATION/PROFILE STATUS:-OPEN
REVIEW OF MEDICAL RESULTS:pASSED
REVIEW OF SUBMITTED DOCUMENTS:-NO ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THIS TIME
SCHEDULING AN INTERVIEW :NOT NEEDED AT THIS TIME
REVIEW OF BIO METRIC:-NOT NEEDED AT THIS TIME
FINAL DECISION:- NOT STARTED

Steffans

Jan 26, 2016
FKL and other senior members,
I have asked 2 questions on this forum and i have been ignored the two times..

Feeling Sad :'(

1. How does WES or ECA work thats certificate Evaluation.
Must someone do it in his home country or he should wait to get to canada b4 the cetificate can be evaluated and is it compulsory to do it?

2. Whats the salary scale of someone with a degree in B.Sc Business Administration with 7+ years experience.. i know that different organizations differ.. but whats d salary range.

thanks in anticipation

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-02-2016 - Paper Application
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Submitted with Application
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
fkl said:
You are most welcome. I will also reply to your PM shortly.

Spousal open work permit is certainly a dependent visa. In work permit type, you would choose "Open"

And in employer details - you have to write "Not Applicable - Spousal OWP". I am talking about the actual work permit form. Cover letter is totally your own choice to include. It is mainly to explain any specific complexities which I don't see in your case.

You certainly are getting a dependent visa. Otherwise, you cannot get a work permit unless an employer offers you a job and first get a Labor market impact assessment (LMIA) in which they have to prove they could not find a Canadian or PR for the said job and only you have the qualifications needed.
Hi FKL,

I want to get a reference letter from my spouse's thesis supervisor. Can you please provide a sample or give some hints on what all the key points to be mentioned in it ?

Thanks.

Munny

Nov 15, 2013
Hii
my wife got 2 rejection one as a visitor and other as a sowp when i was a international student now i got a pg work permit, can i apply now her student visa.
Any help...please...it would be highly appreciated.

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
Munny said:
Hii
my wife got 2 rejection one as a visitor and other as a sowp when i was a international student now i got a pg work permit, can i apply now her student visa.
Hi Munny,

The previous refusals and your presence in Canada will make the VO doubt her intention.

So I would suggest you to get a skilled job and then apply SOWP for her.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Steffans said:
FKL and other senior members,
I have asked 2 questions on this forum and i have been ignored the two times..

Feeling Sad :'(

1. How does WES or ECA work thats certificate Evaluation.
Must someone do it in his home country or he should wait to get to canada b4 the cetificate can be evaluated and is it compulsory to do it?

2. Whats the salary scale of someone with a degree in B.Sc Business Administration with 7+ years experience.. i know that different organizations differ.. but whats d salary range.

thanks in anticipation
The question is not relevant to the thread and is kinda out of context. Still I don't remember leaving it out. I just try answering as much as possible for me. And i hope you do realize that i have a full time job and this forum is just what i do when i can :)

1. ECA is normally done when people are applying for permanent residence from outside Canada. Without it CIC doesn't consider their out of Canada education as equivalent. However, you are not required to do this if you are applying for some sort of a work permit such as a Spouse dependent work permit or LMIA based work permit.

But every PR program has its own requirements. The only PR program that allows NOT having a recognized degree is CEC which requires you to having lived in Canada for a year at least and have done a skilled job.

My education is not Canadian, but i came here on an LMIA based work permit and applied for PR around 2 year after working here in CEC. Plus i had 600 points because of LMIA job so i didn't have to worry about scoring high enough via ECA to get an invite for PR.

The above is the only exception. Else it would be needed for all types of PR applications, FSW or PNP or even CEC if you don't score high enough to get an invite.

2. This question is so off from reality that i am not sure what to say. Firstly, Canada generally does not accept x years of outside experience right away. They are pretty rigid about this and in some ways its not totally wrong. However, it creates a major problem for experienced resources.

Some times former VPs of banks from other countries have a hard time getting entry level jobs. So business administration is too generic.

It doesn't mean people don't make it through. But often they start over. Some one with decades of quality HR experience and business admin education had a hard time for 2-3 years not even getting an entry level job in his / her field. (Note that you need to pass some Canadian HR certifications to even legally be allowed to work in HR.)
Eventually found an entry level one in a remote province. Spent a few years there, was capable and there was opportunity, so made it to an HR director position with in a year.

So an entry level salary with a university degree could be around 50k per annum. But that again is not uniform and neither is cost of living. 50 might be okay to live in say Saskatchewan or even Montreal, but low for say Calgary or Vancouver.

Of course none of this applies if you are skilled / experienced in a specialty in demand in Canada, and can get credit for experience if they are not able to find Canadians with similar qualifications. That is obviously uncommon but not impossible.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
GreenHak said:
Hi FKL,

I want to get a reference letter from my spouse's thesis supervisor. Can you please provide a sample or give some hints on what all the key points to be mentioned in it ?

Thanks.
I really don't have a sample. It just has to say he/she has been attending the program and continuing satisfactorily in academic aspect. What CIC needs is these two things

a) The person is actually studying in his / her program
b) Their current output is satisfactory so they are expected to continue and finish it.

I am sure the professor can word it whatever way he sees appropriate.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Munny said:
Hii
You can always apply as many times as you wish.

If you are on PGWP, you need to have a NOC 0, A or B job, provide proof that you have this. Only then your spouse is eligible for SOWP.

Additionally, you better look at the details of refusals and address them. Only then it might get through.

Munny

Nov 15, 2013
GreenHak said:
Hi Munny,

The previous refusals and your presence in Canada will make the VO doubt her intention.

So I would suggest you to get a skilled job and then apply SOWP for her.
Thanks GreenHak for your reply. But currently i am in india for vacations and my wife got 6.5 bands and she insists me that she wants to apply student visa and then she wants that we should go together.
Is it a good idea or bad..?? If anybody got student visa for his wife after refusals. Please help

Steffans

Jan 26, 2016
Fkl, thanks for squeezing time out of ur busy schedule to answer my questions..
Of a truth u did great justice to my questions..
and am glad about it...
God Bless U real good..

N.B: I posted it here bcuz I am about to apply for an SOWP..

Cheers!

fkl said:
The question is not relevant to the thread and is kinda out of context. Still I don't remember leaving it out. I just try answering as much as possible for me. And i hope you do realize that i have a full time job and this forum is just what i do when i can :)

1. ECA is normally done when people are applying for permanent residence from outside Canada. Without it CIC doesn't consider their out of Canada education as equivalent. However, you are not required to do this if you are applying for some sort of a work permit such as a Spouse dependent work permit or LMIA based work permit.

But every PR program has its own requirements. The only PR program that allows NOT having a recognized degree is CEC which requires you to having lived in Canada for a year at least and have done a skilled job.

My education is not Canadian, but i came here on an LMIA based work permit and applied for PR around 2 year after working here in CEC. Plus i had 600 points because of LMIA job so i didn't have to worry about scoring high enough via ECA to get an invite for PR.

The above is the only exception. Else it would be needed for all types of PR applications, FSW or PNP or even CEC if you don't score high enough to get an invite.

2. This question is so off from reality that i am not sure what to say. Firstly, Canada generally does not accept x years of outside experience right away. They are pretty rigid about this and in some ways its not totally wrong. However, it creates a major problem for experienced resources.

Some times former VPs of banks from other countries have a hard time getting entry level jobs. So business administration is too generic.

It doesn't mean people don't make it through. But often they start over. Some one with decades of quality HR experience and business admin education had a hard time for 2-3 years not even getting an entry level job in his / her field. (Note that you need to pass some Canadian HR certifications to even legally be allowed to work in HR.)
Eventually found an entry level one in a remote province. Spent a few years there, was capable and there was opportunity, so made it to an HR director position with in a year.

So an entry level salary with a university degree could be around 50k per annum. But that again is not uniform and neither is cost of living. 50 might be okay to live in say Saskatchewan or even Montreal, but low for say Calgary or Vancouver.

Of course none of this applies if you are skilled / experienced in a specialty in demand in Canada, and can get credit for experience if they are not able to find Canadians with similar qualifications. That is obviously uncommon but not impossible.

GreenHak

Star Member
Dec 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Not Requested
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
01-03-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
04-05-2016
Munny said:
Thanks GreenHak for your reply. But currently i am in india for vacations and my wife got 6.5 bands and she insists me that she wants to apply student visa and then she wants that we should go together.
Is it a good idea or bad..?? If anybody got student visa for his wife after refusals. Please help
There are many people in this forum who got Visa successfully after many refusals. Hats off to their patience and dedication.

But it differs from case to case.

I can feel your situation bro. IELTS band 6.5 is just adequate to get into a University.

If she is that determined to study then you should think of proving her as a genuine student to the VO. It depends on her profile

About going together to Canada.

Getting an admission in a Canadian institution is a long process.

It takes at least 1 month (You know how it is)

Will you be in India till she get admission, prepare documents etc ? It will take up to 3 months in my experience.

By the way what were the refusal reasons for her previous visit visa and sowp refusal ?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
salvatore270 said:
Thanks! Yes, the open work permit expires in 2019, so it would be amply within expiry limits.

I was told on this forum that once you withdraw from school, then you have 90 days to leave Canada; if you wait more than 90 days, then you would need to change status from student to visitor. (?)
You got the right information. I wasn't aware of the recent restrictions in study permit programs.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

However, this does not affect or say any thing about the dependent work permit. My take is that they are fine continuing to work till the expiry of their work permit.

E.g. you were issued SP for 2 years and your spouse got SOWP for 2 years. Now you quit your SP 2 months in. Now your institute might report it and according to above info, your SP becomes invalid 90 days after you stopped studying.

However, your Spouse's work permit remains valid till its expiry of 2 years and she can continue working.

You might have issues renewing health care etc. if at that time the principal Study permit is no longer valid. But otherwise, you are fine.

Jojy Jose

Sep 9, 2015
HI FKL,
I (INDIAN)CURRENTLY IN QATAR HAVE APPLIED FOR OPEN WORK PERMIT(SOWP) FROM CANADA TRU A LAWYER ON OCT-27TH 2015 AND THE STATUS IN ONLINE IS SHOWN AS BELOW,MY WIFE'S STUDY PERMIT WILL EXPIRE IN DEC-2016 SO WILL IT BE AFFECTED AS THE PROCESSING IS TAKING TOO LONG,PLEASE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE CLARIFICATION ON IT AND MY APPLICATION WILL BE PROCESSED IN INDIA OR QATAR?.THANK YOU IN ADVANCE..

APPLIED ON 27TH OCT 2015

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Jojy Jose said:
HI FKL,

APPLIED ON 27TH OCT 2015
It would have been a lot easier to read if you hadn't typed in caps. Please refrain from that.

I don't know, can't say about the processing time. CIC recently overhauled their system. They might even be able to distribute files from one embassy to be processed any where in the world to distribute load.

So it is complex and unpredictable.

However, generally speaking if an applicant is currently residing in Qatar, his application is likely being processed at the embassy which handles it and would take the same processing time.

Since you applied in Oct. and it is already Feb end, I hope you hear back on it sooner rather than latter. But I don't have any more info. Good luck