+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Samuelrobert

Dec 8, 2015
Samuelrobert said:
Hi everyone! My work permit as a Skilled Worker will be expires next month so my wife's Open Work Permit as well. My employer already applied a new LMIA and we apply a New Work Permit using my LMIA file number.
My question is:
A. When I should apply OWP for my wife?
B. Is it applicable the Implied Status to my wife?
C. What should I do to extend her stay also here in Canada while waiting for my New Work Permit?

Thank you very much for help!

vagaur

Star Member
Nov 27, 2014
winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2015
Doc's Request.
Husband PCC from Singapore on 15th September
Nomination.....
28-09-2015
AOR Received.
29-02-2016
IELTS Request
already done
File Transfer...
Inland no file transfer
Med's Request
Decmber 8th 2016
Hi Everyone

I just want to share my case of SOWP. I applied for my spouse SOWP on the basis of my PNP I have NOC C job and post grad work permit. My spouse got rejection within a month stating reason Spouse NOC which was an error( as the rules got changed after the rejection on 9th november). I sent an email to program manager at New Delhi in India and we received an email for passport request they have changed the status to open. So guys never lose hope it was our 3rd time that we applied for SOWP and this time we got it approved after the rejection.
Timeline

Applied online : 7th october 2015
Medical Passed : 10th October 2015
Rejection : 4th November ( Reason was error in law )
Sent email for reconsideration : 13th November program manager Delhi India ( Ms. Shannon Fraser )
Got file reopen : 9th Dec
Passport request : 9th Dec
Passport Submit : 9th Dec
Passport dispatched : 6th Jan
Online update : Approved 6th Jan
Passport Received : 7th Jan

This discussion group has helped me a lot.Thanks for the support and your views.

Vagaur

munika

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 07, 2015
Hi All,

Can someone give me guidance of documents to be submitted for spousal OWP at POE? I've been through that 2 yrs ago but now have a friend that is coming over with her kids. Her husband holds skilled wp. I know she needs copy of his owp, LMIA, confirmation of the address where she will be living, birth certificates & marriage certificate. My concern is if she needs to show the originals or copies would do(CERTIFICATES)
Don't mind me hoping in like this, it is urgent since she's coming on Monday and I don't have time to go through entire topic. As I said, Things and requirements changes constantly that's why I'm not sure if anything has changed since I've applied for mine.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
munika said:
Hi All,

Can someone give me guidance of documents to be submitted for spousal OWP at POE? I've been through that 2 yrs ago but now have a friend that is coming over with her kids. Her husband holds skilled wp. I know she needs copy of his owp, LMIA, confirmation of the address where she will be living, birth certificates & marriage certificate. My concern is if she needs to show the originals or copies would do(CERTIFICATES)
Don't mind me hoping in like this, it is urgent since she's coming on Monday and I don't have time to go through entire topic. As I said, Things and requirements changes constantly that's why I'm not sure if anything has changed since I've applied for mine.
She needs originals of Birth and marriage certificates. Plus she needs to have contact info like address phone number etc. of where the husband works and preferably something recent that shows her husband is still working on the skilled job (recent pay stub or letter from employer).

These things are more important than those mentioned above. CBSA usually won't need LMIA - if she has copy of husband's work permit. They would be more interested in validating the relationships, which gets more critical if you are applying at POE.

I assume this is for a visa exempt country, else its a huge risk.

munika

Star Member
Apr 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 07, 2015
Thanks a lot! I've advised her to get originals tomorrow asap since it is the last day when she can do it.
I remember I had all originals (birth and marriage) at POE, but didn't actually knew the requirements since I just passed the file with entire documentation to Immigration Officer. She was happy and satisfied :) Thanks again!

sqid.madoma

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Calgary
Visa Office......
Sydney
AOR Received.
16-11-2021
Hi,

Do you know how long does it take to receive a work permit for my spouse from inside Canada ? I am NOC A, she already has a work permit (working holiday) which expres end of April 2016.

Thanks.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
munika said:
Thanks a lot! I've advised her to get originals tomorrow asap since it is the last day when she can do it.
I remember I had all originals (birth and marriage) at POE, but didn't actually knew the requirements since I just passed the file with entire documentation to Immigration Officer. She was happy and satisfied :) Thanks again!
You are most welcome :). They might not ask for most of it. But specially because of applying at POE one has to carry more docs, for just in case situations. It is way more relaxed when it is preapproved and you primarily only need Letter of introduction from CIC.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
sqid.madoma said:
Hi,

Do you know how long does it take to receive a work permit for my spouse from inside Canada ? I am NOC A, she already has a work permit (working holiday) which expres end of April 2016.

Thanks.
Until lately, work permit applications from inside Canada were taking upwards of 4 months (120+) days.

I just checked the time line page of CIC today and it seems completely changed. Apparently they are intending to process NEW WP applications with in a month or so where as extensions seem to be taking the same 120 days or so time albeit slight 15 days variation between online vs paper apps.

I have no idea if they would practically be able to live up to it. This is pretty recent and I know of people who have been waiting for more than 2 months. Plus I haven't heard of any one yet who got work permit within a month. BOWP might be an exception though only for some people.

Most likely CIC just changed it after Jan 1 and we are yet to see if they actually do it.

Vasantam

Jan 8, 2016
Re: Spouse Open Work permit Jan 2016 applicants

belde said:
Hi
Anyone applied for SOWP this month?
I have applied on december 4th, did not get any reply. Did upfront medicals. How to know the application dates of current processing applications?

Vasantam

Jan 8, 2016
rkapoor said:
Anyone applied for SOWP in December online??
I have applied on december 4th with upfront medicals. Did not get any reply. Did you get yours? How to check the application dates of current processing applications?

Hammer

Oct 9, 2015
Alberta
vagaur said:
Hi Everyone

I just want to share my case of SOWP. I applied for my spouse SOWP on the basis of my PNP I have NOC C job and post grad work permit. My spouse got rejection within a month stating reason Spouse NOC which was an error( as the rules got changed after the rejection on 9th november). I sent an email to program manager at New Delhi in India and we received an email for passport request they have changed the status to open. So guys never lose hope it was our 3rd time that we applied for SOWP and this time we got it approved after the rejection.
Timeline

Sent email for reconsideration : 13th November program manager Delhi India ( Ms. Shannon Fraser )

This discussion group has helped me a lot.Thanks for the support and your views.

Vagaur
Hi Vagaur,

Can you brief me what additional documents you provided for spouse open work permit application, if you did provide any? I am applying for SOWP from India.

Thanks for your help. :)

rbnayak

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney - NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
Done
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Okay Guy, Have a quick question here. Applied SOWP on 2nd December ,2015 online and got the medical request on 4th January. At the same time, got the reassessment medical request for Submitted PR application on 7th January. Both medical request has separate IME number. Should do both medical or just one medical is enough and will be linked to both.? Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Eshaa

Jan 9, 2016
fkl said:
She needs originals of Birth and marriage certificates. Plus she needs to have contact info like address phone number etc. of where the husband works and preferably something recent that shows her husband is still working on the skilled job (recent pay stub or letter from employer).

These things are more important than those mentioned above. CBSA usually won't need LMIA - if she has copy of husband's work permit. They would be more interested in validating the relationships, which gets more critical if you are applying at POE.

I assume this is for a visa exempt country, else its a huge risk.
Hello
I work in Canada - NOC A and my spouse will be reaching here to join me this Thursday.
He wants to apply for an SOWP at PoE but we are NOT from a Visa Exempt country.
Can he still go ahead and apply for it ( he already has his upfront medicals cleared) or is there any risk in this?
If someone has been in this situation or has any idea, could you please advice on what the best course of action should be?

cali

Star Member
Mar 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
syndney,Nova scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 6th,2015
Nomination.....
June 12,2015
AOR Received.
oct 2,2015
IELTS Request
sent along with application
Med's Request
updated in april
vagaur said:
Hi Everyone

Timeline

Vagaur
hi,
this is cali,,i need to confirm with u reg the work permit,i also work in Noc C,I got AINP in june,applied for PR,got file,,can u guide ,,so i apply for open work permit for my husband who is IN india..waiting for ur valuable reply..th u so much