+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

kamatmahesh

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Toronto
Hello fkl

Appreciate your detailed reply on this :).

Sorry if I did not provide enough information in my first post. You are right, in Nov, when I plan to get my marriage registered, it will definitely involve lawyers testimony, my air tickets(to prove that i travelled to india),invitation card of my marriage, call and chat logs , few pictures from the event.

I did read up a lot on this forum and some of your replies have been really helpful, so I am going to use them as a guideline for filling out the forms. My spouse would send in copies of my offer letter from my employer, pay stubs for the last 6 months, work related responsibilities per NOC guidelines,tax forms, apartment lease agreement ,bank statements(to prove i can support her when she is here), work permit, passport and all the necessary documents that would strengthen my case.

Do you think with these documents, there is still a possibility of the application getting rejected ?. The event in Feb 2015 would only be a formal event for family and friends. Do you still think I have to wait till February to add her name in the PR application and then apply for a work permit, that would mean she would have to wait till mid 2015 to arrive to canada.

Thoughts ?

Cheers
M

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Varun123 said:
I know there is no need for TRV,
But for medical exam doctor said that I writing your category as visitor visa and not open work permit since you do no have offer letter from Canada employee

Is this correct.?
No it does not seem correct. Though at least from where i have applied, we do not see details like this entered by doctor. Nor it is discussed. It looks to me your doctor is not aware of SOWP's existence. Nor do i remember ever a doctor to be asking for these details such as employment offer. It is not their concern. But again we do not do upfront medicals either.

However, even for people who did upfront medicals i never heard them being asked for job offer. The best you can do is to show your spouse's job offer / copy of work permit. Tell him that he probably needs to learn about SOWP though i don't know why he insists he has to write it.

The medical invitation letter that we normally receive from embassy gives us a file number. The prefix of that number is W, S or V based upon work permit (all types), study visa or trv (visitor etc.). Since you don't have that yet, may be that is why he is trying to suggest that.

Still i am not comfortable with him writing that. A regular TRV DOES NOT REQUIRE medicals. Only special trvs (super visa, trv for resident wife or children of study or work permit holder, which allows you to stay for as long as Principal applicant's work permit is valid, only require medicals.

Varun123

Star Member
Jun 22, 2013
Hi,

Doctor has written in the form,

upfront medical type as Visitor..
My wife is applying under sowp
now what should I do,

Please provide solution.

Thanks

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Hi Varun,

I have no idea. Probably you should wait and see. May be CIC considers this already and fixes by themselves.

Probably others from your embassy who have done this before (i believe India), could shed some light on this.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
kamatmahesh said:
Hello fkl

Appreciate your detailed reply on this :).

Sorry if I did not provide enough information in my first post. You are right, in Nov, when I plan to get my marriage registered, it will definitely involve lawyers testimony, my air tickets(to prove that i travelled to india),invitation card of my marriage, call and chat logs , few pictures from the event.

I did read up a lot on this forum and some of your replies have been really helpful, so I am going to use them as a guideline for filling out the forms. My spouse would send in copies of my offer letter from my employer, pay stubs for the last 6 months, work related responsibilities per NOC guidelines,tax forms, apartment lease agreement ,bank statements(to prove i can support her when she is here), work permit, passport and all the necessary documents that would strengthen my case.

Do you think with these documents, there is still a possibility of the application getting rejected ?. The event in Feb 2015 would only be a formal event for family and friends. Do you still think I have to wait till February to add her name in the PR application and then apply for a work permit, that would mean she would have to wait till mid 2015 to arrive to canada.

Thoughts ?

Cheers
M
Hi M,

Glad i could be of help.

If you have enough evidence of your marriage in 2014 when you register it, then it should be fine.

Still i would say you should add her to your PR application BEFORE applying for SOWP. It might get through fine with out that (things look fine on your case), but you never know if a visa officer panics and checks whether she is there on your PR or not. Or you could do both at the same time and let CIC know along.

There can always be a rejection for some xyz reason that one would not have considered. So it is never sure until actually done. But over all your case looks pretty solid. Just that if i were in your place, i would like to add some indication (even a letter that we are just married so i would be adding her to my PR app soon as well) along. That is just my opinion with limited knowledge of dual intent.

Perhaps its better to look at details of dual intent first and see if you could find something useful.

justanordinaryguy

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO-NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-11-2014
Doc's Request.
23-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2014
AOR Received.
13-04-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-05-2015
Interview........
RPRF requested on June 24, 2015 - Paid June 25, 2015
Passport Req..
06-01-2016
LANDED..........
23-01-2016
Hey Guys,

I need some advice.

I have a PGWP on the basis of my Masters from university here. I found a job as an Administrative Assistant at a small company. My wife, who had a SOWP when I was studying had applied for a renewal of the SOWP. She has been rejected twice. The first time, I had supplied my offer letter as my job had not yet started and her SOWP was expiring. This application was rejected. The second time, we applied for a renewal of the SOWP along with restoration of status. For this, I had supplied a copy of my offer letter and my first payslip for the period, which was for 4 days only. This was rejected again on the basis that we had failed to provide adequate proof of my employment. The rejection letter from CIC said that I need to prove my employment by providing documents such as a letter from my employer which confirms my employment, my duties, my job title, salary etc. Now, although the CIC website mentions that in order to prove employment, I can provide a letter from my employer confirming that I work there, or a copy of my employment contract. Therefore, I am very worried about the outcome of the application as I do not know how to convince them of my employment.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Also, on the basis of my studies, I have received a provincial nomination certificate from Opportunities Ontario which mentions my wife as a dependant. We would like to apply for our PR soon. Can someone who is out of status apply for PR? What would be the procedure for them to stay and work here legally? Would my wife be able to get a work permit once we receive the in-principle approval?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this. Any thoughts would be appreciated greatly.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
justanordinaryguy said:
Hey Guys,

I need some advice.

I have a PGWP on the basis of my Masters from university here. I found a job as an Administrative Assistant at a small company. My wife, who had a SOWP when I was studying had applied for a renewal of the SOWP. She has been rejected twice. The first time, I had supplied my offer letter as my job had not yet started and her SOWP was expiring. This application was rejected. The second time, we applied for a renewal of the SOWP along with restoration of status. For this, I had supplied a copy of my offer letter and my first payslip for the period, which was for 4 days only. This was rejected again on the basis that we had failed to provide adequate proof of my employment. The rejection letter from CIC said that I need to prove my employment by providing documents such as a letter from my employer which confirms my employment, my duties, my job title, salary etc. Now, although the CIC website mentions that in order to prove employment, I can provide a letter from my employer confirming that I work there, or a copy of my employment contract. Therefore, I am very worried about the outcome of the application as I do not know how to convince them of my employment.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Also, on the basis of my studies, I have received a provincial nomination certificate from Opportunities Ontario which mentions my wife as a dependant. We would like to apply for our PR soon. Can someone who is out of status apply for PR? What would be the procedure for them to stay and work here legally? Would my wife be able to get a work permit once we receive the in-principle approval?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this. Any thoughts would be appreciated greatly.
To be eligible for a SOWP once you have completed studies and are working, you need to show that you have a Skilled job i.e. NOC 0, A or B.

Hence you need a letter / offer detailed enough to convince CIC that you get a NOC which qualifies as a skilled position.

I doubt that you could apply for a PR as INSIDE of Canada while being out of status. You need to renew your status first.

But once you are on a valid status (say visitor), and have applied for a PR INSIDE of Canada, you are eligible for open work permit. Please note that this applies only to PR applications submitted inside of Canada.

JasPatel

Oct 8, 2014
tandi said:
I applied for my and spouse immigration application for PR. I have applied for Spouse Open Work Permit on July 30, but didn't get any response from cic
can you please help me, what is the processing time for the process

(Applied online from Canada- Spouse is in India- application will be done from India or from Canada)...please help
I applied online for spouse open work permit on july 19, got medical on oct 8.

justanordinaryguy

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO-NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-11-2014
Doc's Request.
23-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2014
AOR Received.
13-04-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-05-2015
Interview........
RPRF requested on June 24, 2015 - Paid June 25, 2015
Passport Req..
06-01-2016
LANDED..........
23-01-2016
fkl said:
To be eligible for a SOWP once you have completed studies and are working, you need to show that you have a Skilled job i.e. NOC 0, A or B.

Hence you need a letter / offer detailed enough to convince CIC that you get a NOC which qualifies as a skilled position.

I doubt that you could apply for a PR as INSIDE of Canada while being out of status. You need to renew your status first.

But once you are on a valid status (say visitor), and have applied for a PR INSIDE of Canada, you are eligible for open work permit. Please note that this applies only to PR applications submitted inside of Canada.
I have given a letter from my employer which is a standard sort of letter. It has about 9-10 duties listed, which roughly correspond to the job description in the NOC manual. Do you think that will be okay?

If you look at Guide P7000 - Application for Permanent Residence – Provincial Nominee Program, in the section where it gives guidance on the current country of residence question, it mentions what out of status applicants should answer. Therefore, I was wondering what is the implication of this.

Lastly, in order to apply for the work permit after applying for PR, do I need to wait for the in-principle approval before applying for it?

Thanks a lot.

Souviktor

Oct 8, 2014
Hello guys,

I am hoping if you could help me with some information . I am really sorry if this has been asked again and I really appreciate any help to point me towards right direction.

I am Indian, currently working in US and have a Canadian job offer. My wife is currently with me in US. I want to apply ONLINE (not paper application, ONLINE) for my work permit and either TRV or open work permit for my wife. My questions/confusions are,

1. Should I alone just register for MyCIC and complete one single online application which will be for my WP and TRV/OWP for my wife?
2. If yes, how? I mean , will there be forms to upload with her information as well? like, her current visa status, marriage certificate etc.?
Or does she need to create a separate MyCic account? and create a separate application for her TRV/OWP ?
3. Can I pay together for our combined application? Is the payment required after the application? or before?
4. Is it better to apply for just TRV for her and later apply for OWP once we are in Canada later? will that reduce documentation, complexity and risk of rejection?
5. For my case, does applying for WP automatically means applying for TRV as well ( I know I need a visa to enter Canada)?
6. Why do people say "I sent my application to New York office"....is there a way to select an office in the online application? I guess I am not physically sending anything to New York if I apply online?

Basically if any of you could just outline the steps for applying online for my WP and her TRV/OWP simultaneously it will be great.

Thanks in advance!

galuramarvin

Star Member
Mar 11, 2013
Hi guys. Please I need some advice..
I am a Temporary Worker here in Alberta.and on August 2014 I met a girl from Vancouver she is a PR.
We are now in a Long Distance Relationship so we are planning to get married on December 2014 so we could be together after she sponsors me. Do we have a chance for approval even if we just met on August in a Long Distance Relationship, will get married in December and apply sponsorship maybe on February 2015? (We have continuous communications, videos,skype, phone records, we visit each others place and we are also applying for a joint bank account) Is itpossible enough if we present those proofs (we will also add wedding pics after our wedding) that our relationship is genuine? please help..thanks

mandar

Sep 22, 2013
At last received my SOWP.... It took 3 months for the whole process.

Thanks for your support guys. This forum helped me a lot.

Thanks to Vikram and Pari_P. They both helped me out of the way.

Please help each other guys. This is best source of information.

All the very best to candidates who are going to apply.

If you need any help you can email me.

Regards,
Mandar

tandi

Star Member
Aug 27, 2014
mandar said:
At last received my SOWP.... It took 3 months for the whole process.

Thanks for your support guys. This forum helped me a lot.

Thanks to Vikram and Pari_P. They both helped me out of the way.

Please help each other guys. This is best source of information.

All the very best to candidates who are going to apply.

If you need any help you can email me.

Regards,
Mandar

Congrats Mandar,

Please share your timeline. I have applied on July 29, mine is online application but no response yet. Don't know how much more time it will take.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
mumtazanayit said:
hi,

I am on PGWP and currently working in Canada. i am going to apply for SOWP....

do you know, what is processing time from Pakistan ? and which one option suitable for my son which will accompany my wife (e.g study or visit visa)

thanks.

Syed
Hi,

Processing time: any where between 2 to 10 months. Depending upon how good a case you have, what time of year do you apply.
Visa type for son: If older than 6 and school going: You should get open study permit, if younger, resident trv. You would apply along with SOWP for that and he would have medicals too.

Important: Specially because you are on PGWP, you have to PROVE that you have a skilled job (NOC 0, A or B). So at least submit a detailed letter from employer describing duties and proving they match the corresponding NOC.

priyankaj

Star Member
Oct 23, 2012
Dear All,
I am new to this form and need help
I live in Canada and have TRV(work visa) and work permit 1 year. My fiance lives in Delhi, India. He don't have any kind of visa or permit to come to Canada. Also he don't have any job offer from Canada's employer. I come to know that the fastest way for him to come here is to apply "Spouse open work permit". Please correct me if i am wrong that part. But if, I am correct, Can someone please give me detailed process to apply SOWP in Delhi. Or give my links where detailed information is available.

Its really important please do help. I will be really great full for all of the people for giving details

Probably it will be best if i'll give all details that I know and then You can guide me where I am wrong.

I am thinking to apply his SWOP via VFS office in Delhi, India.
He has to fill and submit following forms and documents for his SOWP,
1) IMM1295 form (for open work permit)
2) IMM5645 form (Family information) ?
Is this form is only have to filled by him. OR do i have to fill it too separately?

3) IMM5753 form (Medical form)?
Does he have to fill this form too while applying via Delhi VFS office?

4) medical certificate ?
Please guide me on this as i dont know whether he have do medical exam before applying or after submit application.
While going into hospital for medical does he have to have a specific receipt or document which will show that it is for immigration ?
He is going to submit the SOWP application in Delhi VFS office, is the medical exam has to be from same city i.e. delhi or it can be any other city provided its valid medical examination center mentioned on CIC site?

5) IMM 5257 form (Application TRV) ?
Is he have to submit this form at time of applying SOWP? Do I have to fill and submit this form along with his application?

6) Attach copy of his passport and photographs
7) Birth certificate
:cool: Police Certificate ?
Is police certificate is mandatory in SOWP? If yes, then how long it is valid 3 months or 12 months?
He can get the police certificate for India. He also lived around 8 months in UK. Does he have to provide the Police certificate from there also?

9) Ielts General score sheet
10) His Joining letter of current employer and salary slip
11) His experience letter from previous company, salary slip from previous company
12) Bank Statement for past six months

My Documents
1) Invitation Letter on his name
2) Attach copy of his passport and photographs
3) copy of work permit and work visa Canada
4) Birth certificate
5) Police Certificate
6) Master Degree from Canada Transcript and certificate of completion
7) Ielts General score sheet
:cool: Joining letter of current employer and salary slip from Canada
9) experience letter from previous company, salary slip from previous company
10) Bank Statement for past six months

Our documents
1) Marriage Certificate
2) Photographs
3) My Flight ticket during our marriage time

Please guide me
1) Is there any other document require to submit SOWP ?
2) Once me submit above written document for SWOP permit then do he have to apply separately for work visa?
3) How long it will take in processing after submitting the the application?
4) which method is better online or applying via Delhi VFS office ?