+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
farwa ff said:
Hello ALL :)
Just to share with everyone that atlast my spouse open work permit got Approved today..
so happy... :)

My timeline
Applied: May 3rd
Medical request : 24th July
Medical submitted : 11th August
Med approved :18th August
Finally Visa Approved : 27th August

Best of Luck to All :)
Hey Congratulation ,

Just wanted to check with ..?

Was it online application or paper application..

From which country you had applied...?

Rajan

farwa ff

Jul 31, 2013
It was a paper application and from Pakistan.

Rajan Grover said:
Hey Congratulation ,

Just wanted to check with ..?

Was it online application or paper application..

From which country you had applied...?

Rajan

teabag

Aug 31, 2014
Dear Friends,

I want to apply for postdoctoral work permit online. My wife wants to come with me to Canada but we haven't decided about her working status yet. The first intention is to get visa, but if it is possible to get open work permit right now, it would be great. The problem is when you want to apply online, you should answer to some questions. The problematic question is this one:

* Why is your family member visiting Canada?

1) Visit- tourismus
2) Visit (other types)
3) Study (less that 6 month)
4) Study (more than 6 month)
5) Work in a work permit exempted category
6) Work (labour work permit required)
7) Work (other)
8) Transit

Could you please let me know which option should I select (1, 2, 5 or 6) because the required documents are based on this answer.

Thank you very much for your help.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
7. Work (other) should be the right choice for her.

I assume that you have a post doc job offer from a Canadian institution.

teabag

Aug 31, 2014
Thank you for the answer. Yes, I have a postdoc job offer, but I'm not sure about the correct way that I should go through for my wife's visa. So the option no. 7 is for these types of open work permits? and the important question is which option has a better chance to be approved, visitor visa or open work permit?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
You are most welcome. 7 is for all types of work permits not requiring LMO.

SOWP has a better chance of approval, because it highlights your profile much more thoroughly and shows the genuine intent.

Very often people put in trv applications stating intention "to visit spouse in Canada for a short time", which normally is far from the truth. No spouse intends to visit his / her husband for a short time. They intend to live together in Canada for as long as husband is there legally. Although that is possible with a trv as well, usually it is used otherwise and could sound confusing.

Ahmedali263

Star Member
Sep 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2015
Doc's Request.
05-11-2015 (RCMP fingerprint based) Reminder Email: March 2, 2016
Nomination.....
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
13-10-2015
Med's Request
29-4-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront Medical 21-04-2016
Passport Req..
12-12-2016
Hi farwa,
Congratulations....
I have applied for my Spouse OWP on 12 August 2014 and I got the biometrics request the same day. Yesterday (2 September 2014) my spouse got the call from CHC-Islamabad verifying her that she has submitted the OWP application and few more questions and they didn't ask her for any interview call. My questions are..
1. did you receive any call from CHC the same way as my spouse got?
2. Did you get the medical request as well?
3. for how long have you got the OWP?

Thanks very much

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
Ahmedali263 said:
Hi farwa,
Congratulations....
I have applied for my Spouse OWP on 12 August 2014 and I got the biometrics request the same day. Yesterday (2 September 2014) my spouse got the call from CHC-Islamabad verifying her that she has submitted the OWP application and few more questions and they didn't ask her for any interview call. My questions are..

Thanks very much
Ahmedali, can you please tell us what documents did your spouse enclosed with the application and was it online application or paper based?

Don't panic CHC call if they want to confirm some information with applicant. It is totally normal..

chhvip2301

Sep 5, 2014
calgary, canada
Category........
AINP
App. Filed.......
09-12-2016
Doc's Request.
01-06-2017
AOR Received.
09-02-2017
Hi ,

My name is Chhaya and i work for a private company in new delhi, India since year 2011. I recently got married in january 2014 and my spouse currently holds a post graduate work permit visa valid until 2017 and is a an IT professional- server administrator which comes under skill level a, b, c and I have travelled to canada on a TRV visa and returned bak to join my office. I understand that i may be eligible for an open work permit which takes 4 to 5 months for processing , i would like to know if i can apply for a tourist visa simultaneously and travel on the same until an outcome for open work permit is received if not can i just apply for a tourist visa and lodge the open work permit ( dependent spouse) once i reach calgary, canada.

Grateful if u can help me with this query at earliest

Thanks in advance

Regards

Chhaya

farwa ff

Jul 31, 2013
Hello
My total time of processing including medical and visa approval was approx 3 months .
And i dint got any call frm CHC. But it might be normal as fkl said as he is more experienced.
Plus i got my medical & bio metrics togather after 2months in july and its approval after a week.

Ahmedali263 said:
Hi farwa,
Congratulations....

Thanks very much

Satsu

Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Seniors plz help.. FKL, plz advise on my situation..

I'm about to receive my pnp nomination but have recently got plans to get married in early 2015 and my fiancée lives outside Canada. I have the below queries:

1. Can I apply for my Federal application once I get my nomination and add my spouse to my application after the wedding?

2. Assuming that I can add my spouse to my in progress application, can I apply for a Open Work Permit (SOWP) for my spouse (from outside Canada – She is equally qualified & working) once I've added her to my federal application and received the AOR?

3. I’m currently having a closed Work permit valid for another year; can I still apply for a SOWP for my spouse after wedding so that she can stay & work with me in Canada?

4. When is the best time in the PR processing to apply for a SOWP for my spouse?

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
Satsu said:
Hi,

Seniors plz help.. FKL, plz advise on my situation..

I'm about to receive my pnp nomination but have recently got plans to get married in early 2015 and my fiancée lives outside Canada. I have the below queries:

1. Can I apply for my Federal application once I get my nomination and add my spouse to my application after the wedding?
[red] Yes, you can definitely apply for federal upon receiving the nomination and add your spouse right after marriage[/red]

2. Assuming that I can add my spouse to my in progress application, can I apply for a Open Work Permit (SOWP) for my spouse (from outside Canada – She is equally qualified & working) once I've added her to my federal application and received the AOR?
[red]You can add your spouse before you land as a permanent resident. That being said even after passport request.[/red]

3. I'm currently having a closed Work permit valid for another year; can I still apply for a SOWP for my spouse after wedding so that she can stay & work with me in Canada?
[red]As long as your work permit is valid for more than six months you are good to go[/red]

4. When is the best time in the PR processing to apply for a SOWP for my spouse?
[red]when ever you ready and collect all the required documents[/red]
See the answers above in red. Hope this help

Satsu

Sep 8, 2014
Thanks Alijumani for your reply!

Could you please confirm the below:

2. While my application is in progress with my spouse included in the application, can I apply for Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) for my spouse from outside Canada, as she is not residing in Canada? Because, I would like my spouse to join me and work in Canada while we are waiting for the PR.

3. As a temporary worker, I understand that I can apply for a open WP for my Spouse if I have a WP valid for 6months, but can you confirm if I can apply for a open work permit for my spouse even with the PR application in progress?

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
Satsu said:
Thanks Alijumani for your reply!

Could you please confirm the below:

2. While my application is in progress with my spouse included in the application, can I apply for Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) for my spouse from outside Canada, as she is not residing in Canada? Because, I would like my spouse to join me and work in Canada while we are waiting for the PR.

[red]Again! yes you can definitely apply for SOWP while your PR application is in process[/red]

3. As a temporary worker, I understand that I can apply for a open WP for my Spouse if I have a WP valid for 6months, but can you confirm if I can apply for a open work permit for my spouse even with the PR application in progress?

[red]please refer number two's answer[/red]