+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

roop9

Star Member
May 1, 2013
deebee said:
Hi roop ,

Thanks for the info , really appreciate it ... Actually i am worried abt lot many things ... may be u all will be able to guide me

#TRV was rejected last on 4th of Nov . SO is it safe to apply again for OWP this month itself ??
#How long it would take whn i apply thru VFS ??
#I came here in the month of Aug , So if i dont aplly now as u said it will be less than 10 months ???

Any sugestn
Think of 2 things

1) If app takes more than usual...i.e. 4 months...ur app will be rejected...You will waste a lot of time...

2) Why dont u take up a 6 month course and apply for extension of study permit...Then apply again

If you are ready to go with 1..Dont waste time..Apply asap.. All the best

Vin2810

Aug 26, 2013
We are also on the same boat. When my spouse applied for the spouse open WP, I had 8 months validity on my WP and the processing time was 2 months on the website. Due the strike, the processing time got pushed out to 4 months and I have just 4 months remaining on my WP now so I think CIC would reject our spouse open WP application.

Meanwhile, I am planning to extend my WP and then apply again for Spouse Open WP (if it gets rejected the first time).

amir101

Nov 7, 2013
I still didn't get my answer,
My wife and I both have student visa (TRV) now and we are planning to go to Canada next week,
as we have both applied for student visa and now we can get study permit,
my wife will register at the university but not me, so will I be able to get "open work permit" by applying in Canada after arrival?

Vin2810

Aug 26, 2013
Hey guys,

My spouse got the passport request letter for the temporary resident visa today although, my visa is expiring in 4 months.

But we had applied for the SOWP, can we still request for the work permit at the port of entry?

Vin

Viky

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
31-10-2007
Hello All,

Need some clarification on OWP application.

I'm eligible to apply for OWP and at present working in the middle east.
Should i file my application in the country of residence (middle east) or can i apply from India (citizenship)?
What is the approximate processing time if applied from India?

Thanks in advance.

shallu7

Nov 20, 2013
Hi,
I am doing masters in Vancouver. I have applied OWP for my husaband. We got married this year in August. We applied for visa and now cic asked us to submit marriage photos and proof of funds. ours was love marriage so we dont have that much fancy photos to upload in online application. but we have photos of outings. would that be fine if i send them a letter of explanation alongwith photos?
And regarding funds.. he's showing 3.5k IN HIS ACCOUNT AND I HAV 4700$ IN MINE. PLUS A PROPERTY WORTH 2 CRORES. IS this much sufficient? plus he has a job letter from a store over here in canada.

please guide me asap.

roop9

Star Member
May 1, 2013
shallu7 said:
Hi,
I am doing masters in Vancouver. I have applied OWP for my husaband. We got married this year in August. We applied for visa and now cic asked us to submit marriage photos and proof of funds. ours was love marriage so we dont have that much fancy photos to upload in online application. but we have photos of outings. would that be fine if i send them a letter of explanation alongwith photos?
And regarding funds.. he's showing 3.5k IN HIS ACCOUNT AND I HAV 4700$ IN MINE. PLUS A PROPERTY WORTH 2 CRORES. IS this much sufficient? plus he has a job letter from a store over here in canada.

please guide me asap.
1) Only marriage photos...They have specifically asked marriage photos so it cannot be a casual photo. Photos of outings would make them little fishy as to if u were married or NOT. Embassy knows how Indian marriage photos look like (assuming you are an indian since u mentioned crores property).

2) Ideally the more u show the better it is. But funds look decent. Property worth 2 crores is a good thing to have. Is it under you or your husbands name. If yes include it in the document as well and state them u own a property back in home country. IF it is NOT in your or your husbands name then u need to have a will stating that your or his parents are stating their WILL

3) OWP do not require Job offer. So need NOT mention. Keep it N/A.

fpaikar

Jul 15, 2013
Hello friends I have a question.My husband aplie for a work permit and I applied for an open work permit with my husband.We got the approval mail in the name of my husband for his visa approval and another email in my name that my file has been releaed .Niw i just want to know is wethef my passpprt will be stamped at the Canadaalong with my husband or i will recieve anither separate mail.Thanks

SKoul

Dec 2, 2013
Vin2810 said:
Hey guys,

My spouse got the passport request letter for the temporary resident visa today although, my visa is expiring in 4 months.

But we had applied for the SOWP, can we still request for the work permit at the port of entry?

Vin
Hi Vin,
While I do not have an answer to your query, my case is very similar to yours. My wife submitted her TRV and OWP application at the Canadian Conslulate in New Delhi, India on November 8, 2013 and is currently awaiting a decision on her application. My visa (and the post study work permit) expires on May 31, 2014. We are concerned that her visa application might be denied or she might be denied a OWP at the port of entry even if she gets a TRV stamped from the consulate. I wonder if the '6-month validity clause' applies for a certain type of work visa(s) only? Would you mind sharing the latest update at your end?

SKoul

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
Vin2810 said:
Hey guys,

Vin
That is good ..please share your experience as in this forum there are people who got rejected because there spouse doesn't have the 6 months visa.

And u are telling u have the 4 months visa left till 31 mar'14.

Are cic is not considering your visa validity that is good.

Please share the experience did ur wife get the OWP or trv.

Regards
Rajan

Vin2810

Aug 26, 2013
My work permit is expiring on 01 March 2014 and my spouse had applied for her OWP on 24 July 2013. Although, I had only 8 months left on my work permit then, my spouse recieved her OWP last month.

But please note my permanent residency (PNP nominee) application is in process too and I had added my spouse to my file on the same day she applied for the OWP i.e. 24 July 2013 so this could be the reason too.

Rajan Grover

May 27, 2013
Vin2810 said:
My work permit is expiring on 01 March 2014 and my spouse had applied for her OWP on 24 July 2013. Although, I had only 8 months left on my work permit then, my spouse recieved her OWP last month.

But please note my permanent residency (PNP nominee) application is in process too and I had added my spouse to my file on the same day she applied for the OWP i.e. 24 July 2013 so this could be the reason too.
Thanks for your reply...

God knows what would be the reason ..but what would be the reason that was Lucky for you.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience..

Best of luck and have a great life ahead.

Regards
Rajan

SKoul

Dec 2, 2013
Vin2810 said:

Hey Vin. I too added my wife to my PR (CEC) application before she applied for her visa. Did you submit any proof of your PNP application while applying for your wife's visa? I strictly stuck to the checklist assuming that they should be able to find out about my PR application through my client ID. Anyway, I can only make conjectures at this point. The delays involved seem enormous. Good to know that your wife's application was approved. Take care