+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

bradburyjason

May 19, 2014
Is it possible to do an online spousal open work permit? And by doing it online, will it bypass the local visa immigration office? Right now, my wife and I are living in South Korea and we have to go through the visa office in Manila. The visa processing time in Manila is 8 months, but I plan on being in Canada in 3 months.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
bradburyjason said:
Is it possible to do an online spousal open work permit? And by doing it online, will it bypass the local visa immigration office? Right now, my wife and I are living in South Korea and we have to go through the visa office in Manila. The visa processing time in Manila is 8 months, but I plan on being in Canada in 3 months.
Yes and no. You can certainly apply online. However, doing that does not by pass local visa office. The applications in general are still processed at the same VO. In very exceptional circumstances (that are not in your control) CIC would process an application submitted online at another visa office. But that is not the norm and certainly cannot have any reduced time lines.

bradburyjason

May 19, 2014
Also, I am Canadian and returning very soon to Canada, because I was accepted to graduate school. Can my Korean wife apply for a spouse open work permit?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
bradburyjason said:
Also, I am Canadian and returning very soon to Canada, because I was accepted to graduate school. Can my Korean wife apply for a spouse open work permit?
Sorry - but no. Since you are a Canadian, the only way to get your wife along is apply for Spousal Sponsorship, which gives her PR ultimately - but takes a long time.

SOWP is only for spouse of temp workers - who cannot sponsor them for PR but rather take them along (if they have a skilled job) with themselves.

dhillonpk

Jan 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi everyone..
i am in trouble and need your suggestions .. i got married in Canada on march 2013. my husband sponsored me from there in June 2013. but due to some circumstances we have to withdraw our case.. now my husband is trying to file new sponsorship under spousal open work permit..
I am master of physics and he is opening his own leaning centre and said me to send job letter from there..
i want to know
1) can we apply through this ?
2) my job letter will work out if we do so ?
3) how many chances are there to get visa ?
please help senior members .. thanks

Singham

Star Member
Dec 26, 2013
CHANDIGARH
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
hope so
SSA

Depend upon at what basis he has sponsored you like SOWP or family sponsor. If your husband has valid work permit in Canada with Noc category O, A, B. He can bring you over there on SOWP. It works good.
If you guys has your own work in Canada its fine you can work over there on SOWP.

To get a visa depend upon Visa officer and the document you have submitted.

If your hsband is PR there he can sponsor you on Family sponsor. Best one. If you need any assistance from advisor. I know very best advisor in pb contact him he may guide you in details.

dhillonpk

Jan 15, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks singham
my husband is citizen in Canada n already he sponsored me in family class.. but we have to withdraw that case after one year..
but now i just want to know the best way to apply.. re apply the same case or we can make sowp ..
please inbox me address and contact number of that person..
thanks again

Caimi

Star Member
Dec 23, 2013
Extension of SOWP in case I find an employement .....

Dear Members,

Hope you are doing good ! I have a specific query related to extension of SOWP if I find an employment in Canada based on my SOWP.

I am currently on SOWP valid for next 6 months (since my Spouse's work permit is till then).

In case I find a job in Canada..... what are different options I have to continue beyond 6 months on my job ?

1. Of course if I can get an extension of SOWP basis my Spouse's work permit extension......
2. Is there any way that my SOWP (one kind of OWP) can be extended based on my employment ? (assuming I would have finished 5-6 months in my job by then)
3. In case I would be independently employed, is there any way I can apply for any other work permit to remove my dependency on SOWP ?

Would be grateful if I can get some inputs on this.

Thanks in Advance,
Caimi

Would be great if you can help me

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Re: Extension of SOWP in case I find an employement .....

Caimi said:
Dear Members,

Hope you are doing good ! I have a specific query related to extension of SOWP if I find an employment in Canada based on my SOWP.

I am currently on SOWP valid for next 6 months (since my Spouse's work permit is till then).

In case I find a job in Canada..... what are different options I have to continue beyond 6 months on my job ?

1. Of course if I can get an extension of SOWP basis my Spouse's work permit extension......
2. Is there any way that my SOWP (one kind of OWP) can be extended based on my employment ? (assuming I would have finished 5-6 months in my job by then)
3. In case I would be independently employed, is there any way I can apply for any other work permit to remove my dependency on SOWP ?

Would be grateful if I can get some inputs on this.

Thanks in Advance,
Caimi

Would be great if you can help me
If your employer agrees to get an LMO for you - then you can apply and receive closed work permit tied to your employer all being done from inside Canada. Work permits are processed much faster here, but the real road block would be getting LMO.

momars09

May 20, 2014
App. Filed.......
23-07-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
UPFRONT 08-07-2014
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
06/08/2014
LANDED..........
1-09-2014
Hi

I stay in India,I have applied for a P.G.Diploma program in Toronto.The College has offered me the offer letter. I would like to know
1) On which visa my husband can accompany me?
2) we have been informed here that to apply for my husbands visa/open work permit i required Social Insurance Pin(SIN) which take 6 months to come.Is it true that i have to go first and apply for his open work permit? If this is not the procedure then what is the procedure to apply for his visa and which visa should be applied and can we travel together then?

Prompt reply is appreciated
Thank You
Mariyam

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
momars09 said:
Hi

I stay in India,I have applied for a P.G.Diploma program in Toronto.The College has offered me the offer letter. I would like to know
1) On which visa my husband can accompany me?
2) we have been informed here that to apply for my husbands visa/open work permit i required Social Insurance Pin(SIN) which take 6 months to come.Is it true that i have to go first and apply for his open work permit? If this is not the procedure then what is the procedure to apply for his visa and which visa should be applied and can we travel together then?

Prompt reply is appreciated
Thank You
Mariyam
1) SOWP - though you should check if your college and duration of program qualifies or not.
2) That is entirely incorrect. You have been given wrong information. Neither SIN takes six months nor do you need it to apply for husband. You can apply for your own study permit along with husband's open work permit together. You will be the principal applicant and he would be dependent spouse. But you have to show enough funds to support your education fee + living as well as his expenses for a year. Moreover, showing ties to home country so that it appears likely that you would not stay in Canada illegally becomes more critical when you apply together.

However, a lot of people all across the world do it that way and go there together (myself included).

All the best.

momars09

May 20, 2014
App. Filed.......
23-07-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
UPFRONT 08-07-2014
Passport Req..
submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
06/08/2014
LANDED..........
1-09-2014
Thanks a lot..
apart from funds which documents do we have to show for my husbands OWP?
People here are suggesting us not to apply together as both will get rejected after my visa is approved my husbands OWP should be applied how far is this true?

Caimi

Star Member
Dec 23, 2013

fkl said:
If your employer agrees to get an LMO for you - then you can apply and receive closed work permit tied to your employer all being done from inside Canada. Work permits are processed much faster here, but the real road block would be getting LMO.
Thanks fkl for a prompt response. I doubt if my prospective employer would be ready to get an LMO for me. Couple of follow-up queries:

1. Can you throw some light on intricacies of convincing my employer to get an LMO for me? Why are employers generally not ready to get an LMO for a candidate whom they want on board ? Is there any way out ..

2. Is there a provision to temporary extend a Spouse Open Work permit. I read on these forums that Open Work permits can be temporarily extended....
Should I reach out to an immigration lawyer who might be able to give professional advice ....

Thanks again.
Caimi

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
momars09 said:
Thanks a lot..
apart from funds which documents do we have to show for my husbands OWP?
People here are suggesting us not to apply together as both will get rejected after my visa is approved my husbands OWP should be applied how far is this true?
You have to PROVE source of funds. It would be far better if they could be shown to have earned by your husband. Entire profile of both people, degrees, experience letters, pay stubs, bank statement showing earned pay being transferred to account. Proof of relationship - if recently married (a year or so with no kids), then add pictures of marriage, ticket records to say honey moon, even invitation card for marriage. But probably none of this is needed if married for longer or have kids. Also any property or business you own back home.

Basically any thing that could show your strong association with home country.

It is true that chances of individual approval are higher because it shows you would have to return ultimately because husband is back home. This strong tie does not hold when you apply together. But then latter you would have a hard time getting him approved even for a visit visa. Because a) they would think his going and being together was not that important for you in the first place b) it would risk that you as a couple might not come back. Besides only you are the principal applicant - when you apply together either they approve both or they don't. Dependent is a liability for CIC so they never pay much attention to that.

If going alone is more important for you and you are willing to face possibly multiple refusals for him latter (though you can apply any time including right after getting your visa - but its recommended that you at least wait till you are settled in your program and can attach proof of actually studying there - letter from college etc.), then you should certainly apply alone.

If your husband has a very good profile (education, job, earnings back home) then he might have a better chance.

Personally, for me (and several of my friends) all going for highly skilled work positions with job offers, going without families was never a choice. But we had no funds requirements and had very strong profiles back home - education, work experiences of many years, stable and well paying jobs etc.

So all of us applied with families and always got approved. But i see many students as well as work permit guys - who have a really hard time latter with getting their spouses.

It is first a matter of how good a profile you guys hold. Then - how important it is to get spouse there soon.

For me, either it was the entire family going (wife and 3 kids) or none at all. So i never bothered and the process took longer but ultimately i got approved for entire family. So up to you.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4

You are most welcome.

1. It is a pretty complex thing and involves paying a fee (earlier was lower - recently proposed to be raised significantly) as well as proving to the government that they could not hire a Canadian for the particular position. Add to that the waiting times and uncertainty of approval and latter liabilities of bringing a temp foreign worker. Some of these could be relaxed a bit if you are already in Canada on another work permit and have worked for the same employer. But i can't say for sure to what level.

2. I don't know of any such provisions. The general thing is that if you have already applied for an extension (after getting LMO) BEFORE EXPIRY of your current wp, you can continue working till a decision is made which is implied status. The other possibilities are that you are eligible for some sort of PR program, have applied and gotten through first stage of approval and then apply for a Bridging open work permit.

Caimi said:
Thanks fkl for a prompt response. I doubt if my prospective employer would be ready to get an LMO for me. Couple of follow-up queries:

1. Can you throw some light on intricacies of convincing my employer to get an LMO for me? Why are employers generally not ready to get an LMO for a candidate whom they want on board ? Is there any way out ..

2. Is there a provision to temporary extend a Spouse Open Work permit. I read on these forums that Open Work permits can be temporarily extended....
Should I reach out to an immigration lawyer who might be able to give professional advice ....

Thanks again.
Caimi