+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit validity

matthewbr

Feb 5, 2018
Hi! I did some research on this topic and couldn’t find a straight answer so here it goes:
My wife is finishing her studies in April 27th and her study permit expires in July 20th as also mine.
In my work permit there is a note saying that I’m only able to work while she is a full time student at a designated institution. Which leads me to think that I should stop working at her last day of school since after that she won’t be a full time student anymore. Or is is only after her permit expires or when she gets her certificate of conclusion? Does anyone had a similar experience? Thanks!

Reactions: eduardoewgo

mariels182

Feb 5, 2018
Hi! I did some research on this topic and couldn’t find a straight answer so here it goes:
My wife is finishing her studies in April 27th and her study permit expires in July 20th as also mine.
In my work permit there is a note saying that I’m only able to work while she is a full time student at a designated institution. Which leads me to think that I should stop working at her last day of school since after that she won’t be a full time student anymore. Or is is only after her permit expires or when she gets her certificate of conclusion? Does anyone had a similar experience? Thanks!
Hi, matthewb

You can keep on working if your wife applies for a PGWP. Since she's going to be waiting for an answer you can work because her status is going to continue being the same. As soon as she gets her permit, you should apply for your extension.
My family (sister-husband, cousin-husband) came the same way (as did I) and we are all doing the same. My cousins are now PR.
You can work until Canada says no to her permit (which won't happen).

I hope I helped you a bit. I'm at work and shouldn't take too much time for personal things.

Good luck!

matthewbr

Feb 5, 2018
so ur query is not clear. Are u on SOWP? what is the expiry date on SOWP? u can work on SOWP till its valid. I know ur SOWP is tied to ur wifes SP but u can work even after she has completed her studies as long as ur SOWP is vaild.
Also remember once she get her PGWP then to extend ur permit she will need a skilled job
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d
1) Yeah I'm SOWP.
2) July 20th

What happens is that there is a note in my work permit observations field saying: Work Permit only valid while spouse is a full-time student at a designated learning institution. So this made me think that I should stop working as soon as she stopped studying.

matthewbr

Feb 5, 2018
Yes I understand I went through similar experience.u can work until ur SOWP is valid. Once ur wife gets PGWP she has to find a skilled(NOC 0,A,B) job immidiately or else u wont be able to work/extend ur work permit.
Alright, thank you! Do I have to stop working immediately after she gets her PGWP or can keep working until my OWP expires? I'm not really worried about extending the work permit through her PGWP because I'm probably getting an ITA before that and will apply for BOWP before my current OWP expires.

Craigy

Feb 13, 2018
Alright, thank you! Do I have to stop working immediately after she gets her PGWP or can keep working until my OWP expires? I'm not really worried about extending the work permit through her PGWP because I'm probably getting an ITA before that and will apply for BOWP before my current OWP expires.
Thanks much for your question, since I am learning so much as I too navigate this process.

My wife was recently approved for a study permit for 2-yr studies commencing May 2018. We have been back and forth about me accompanying her, but we both thought that I would only be able to work while she was studying (and so could be forced to return home once her study is complete). As such, we thought that me accompanying her would be a tad risky and possibly irresponsible, since I would have to leave my job here to make that happen and we have a minor aged child.

From the response and link provided by "newtoexpressentry", it appears that we could really make this happen.

So off to do more research.
;-)

honeybee2017

Jul 14, 2017
Hi Matthew,

Could you please share how this situation worked out in your case and how did you proceed? I have currently found myself in this situation. I have just completed my graduate program, and while my spouse's open work permit is valid until Nov 2020, I am just seeing this note at the bottom that says "Open work permit only valid while spouse is a full-time student at a designated learning institution." I am really concerned and worried about this statement. The immigration consultants I have visited have never seen this note.

Insights from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Yajing

Aug 6, 2015
Hi Matthew,

Could you please share how this situation worked out in your case and how did you proceed? I have currently found myself in this situation. I have just completed my graduate program, and while my spouse's open work permit is valid until Nov 2020, I am just seeing this note at the bottom that says "Open work permit only valid while spouse is a full-time student at a designated learning institution." I am really concerned and worried about this statement. The immigration consultants I have visited have never seen this note.

Insights from anyone is greatly appreciated.

Hi guys,

It would be greatly appreciated if you could share how this situation worked in your case.

My situation is exactly the same as yours. My husband will graduate in June 2020, and my spouse open work permit is valid until July 2021.

I am not sure if I can continue to work after his graduation.

I would greatly appreciate answers from anyone.

eduardoewgo

Oct 19, 2018
Seems like everyone are concerned about the same thing and no one can provide a good answer for it :/.

@matthewbr how did you do when you had this situation in 2018?