+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit ( Sept 2017 - 2018 )

SDeb

Sep 4, 2018
Assuming My husband has trv and i have the wp. Should i apply for his sowp from India or should we wait till we reach Canada?
Can you guys help me with come advice

Himani Arora

Mar 23, 2018
Assuming My husband has trv and i have the wp. Should i apply for his sowp from India or should we wait till we reach Canada?
Can you guys help me with come advice
Yes, you can apply for SOWP for your husband who is in India if you have WP and currently working in canada..

Shivanimannan

Sep 30, 2018
Hi ..can anyone help me know that how long we should have yhe study permit of we are applying for SOWP.As i have 6month visa (study permit).

uipatel

Oct 3, 2018
Hello

I am permanent residence of canada and i just got married in september 2018.Now i am applying for my Spouse open work permit.
My question is do i apply for Spousal PR file first or Open work permit first?
Which one is faster and recommended first?

Thanks

Disa18

Mar 26, 2018
I am a student in Canada and applied for my husband's OWP online on 23rd july without upfront medicals. The status is still showing 'we will let you know once we start reviewing your eligibility'. Does any1 know how much time it takes for the visa or for status to change as its already been more than 2 months and they have not even started reviewing the eligibility.

ehjan

Sep 30, 2018
Hello everyone. I am international student, will graduate at December 2018. I want to bring my wife here, what is the best way to do that? I thought to apply for her spouse open work permit after my graduation, but we counted that it's long process, I have to pay 3 tax payment and only after that she would be able to apply. I changed my mind because I really miss her and want her to be with me, so I thought of applying for visitor visa for her and after that, when the time comes, apply for open work permit for her.
1) Is it possible?
2) I have to apply for her visitor visa or she has to apply by her own?
3) I'm holding my study permit till February, but planning to apply for PGWP as soon as I graduate. Has it some influence on her application?
4) does she have to take medical test?
Thanks for any suggestions

Zak8

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Hello everyone. I am international student, will graduate at December 2018. I want to bring my wife here, what is the best way to do that? I thought to apply for her spouse open work permit after my graduation, but we counted that it's long process, I have to pay 3 tax payment and only after that she would be able to apply. I changed my mind because I really miss her and want her to be with me, so I thought of applying for visitor visa for her and after that, when the time comes, apply for open work permit for her.
1) Is it possible?
2) I have to apply for her visitor visa or she has to apply by her own?
3) I'm holding my study permit till February, but planning to apply for PGWP as soon as I graduate. Has it some influence on her application?
4) does she have to take medical test?
Thanks for any suggestions
1) Yes you can apply for her TRV. But from what I know from reading the forums and feedback from is that, TRV's rejection chances are more in case of a spouse. SOWP has much better chances when compared to TRV. But if your file is strong and you are lucky enough to get the TRV, then it should be fine.

2) Can be done either ways. Whoever applies for it, processing time will be as per the country of her residence.

3) If you apply for SOWP before your PGWP, it is better, because once you receive your PGWP, in order to apply for her SOWP, you will need to have a full time job in either NOC 0,A or B. And also need to have 3 months pay slips. So the time period it will take will be pretty long. Better option is try applying for her SOWP before you end your semester or you can try taking your chances with TRV.

4) Medical is required for SOWP. Not sure for TRV though. But also depends on the country of residence in the past. check out the below link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents/country-requirements.html

Reactions: ehjan

ehjan

Sep 30, 2018
1) Yes you can apply for her TRV. But from what I know from reading the forums and feedback from is that, TRV's rejection chances are more in case of a spouse. SOWP has much better chances when compared to TRV. But if your file is strong and you are lucky enough to get the TRV, then it should be fine.

2) Can be done either ways. Whoever applies for it, processing time will be as per the country of her residence.

3) If you apply for SOWP before your PGWP, it is better, because once you receive your PGWP, in order to apply for her SOWP, you will need to have a full time job in either NOC 0,A or B. And also need to have 3 months pay slips. So the time period it will take will be pretty long. Better option is try applying for her SOWP before you end your semester or you can try taking your chances with TRV.

4) Medical is required for SOWP. Not sure for TRV though. But also depends on the country of residence in the past. check out the below link.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-temporary-residents/country-requirements.html
Thanks!
Few more questions regarding to this:
3.1) does it require 3 months pay slips? I heard that 3 periods, 1 period is 2 weeks, so overall 1.5 months. What is correct?
3.2) Does it make any sense to apply for her SOWP in approximately November (when all documents will be ready)? My study term ends in December, I don't have any documents to continue staying in Canada longer than January for now (I'll apply for PGWP, but they can not be sure, right?). Won't it be rejected because of the terms? Or I'm missing smth?
Thanks a lot!

Zak8

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Thanks!
Few more questions regarding to this:
3.1) does it require 3 months pay slips? I heard that 3 periods, 1 period is 2 weeks, so overall 1.5 months. What is correct?
3.2) Does it make any sense to apply for her SOWP in approximately November (when all documents will be ready)? My study term ends in December, I don't have any documents to continue staying in Canada longer than January for now (I'll apply for PGWP, but they can not be sure, right?). Won't it be rejected because of the terms? Or I'm missing smth?
Thanks a lot!
Well I would think 3 months is more reasonable than 1.5 months. better wait and apply and make sure things are right rather than hurrying up. Moreover if someone has waited for this long, then another 45 days should be alright considering the positive impact it will make on the file. Didn't find anywhere on cic to submit 3 months slips but, when applying for a OHIP as a temporary worker, service ontario does not start the coverage until after 3 months from start of employment. I know it has nothing to do with the visa processing, but it makes sense that they may want to make sure the employment is right and the visa provision for spouses is not being misused.

Well that's a tricky one. May I know from which country you will be applying ? Reason is for some countries like India Pakistan processing times are pretty long, 17 and 23 weeks currently. And if you apply in november, by the time they see your file and start processing, it might be the end of your study permit duration and the spousal permit is based and granted till the study permit duration due to which I'm afraid they might be hesitant in issuing the permit. You could mention in a letter with the application that you will apply for PGWP after your studies and that might be a reason to grant spousal permit, but for spousal permits of PGWP, there are more set of rules of the job in NOC category and payslips and stuff.

Again this is just what i think from the little knowledge ive got from the forums. But any senior member might be able shed more light on it and guide better if any info is wrong.

mmjmcmackin

Jan 4, 2017
My spouse has received his OWP and has been working with it while waiting for his PR. We have been talking about separating and wondering what will happen to his OWP if we cancel his PR application.

ehjan

Sep 30, 2018
Well I would think 3 months is more reasonable than 1.5 months. better wait and apply and make sure things are right rather than hurrying up. Moreover if someone has waited for this long, then another 45 days should be alright considering the positive impact it will make on the file. Didn't find anywhere on cic to submit 3 months slips but, when applying for a OHIP as a temporary worker, service ontario does not start the coverage until after 3 months from start of employment. I know it has nothing to do with the visa processing, but it makes sense that they may want to make sure the employment is right and the visa provision for spouses is not being misused.

Well that's a tricky one. May I know from which country you will be applying ? Reason is for some countries like India Pakistan processing times are pretty long, 17 and 23 weeks currently. And if you apply in november, by the time they see your file and start processing, it might be the end of your study permit duration and the spousal permit is based and granted till the study permit duration due to which I'm afraid they might be hesitant in issuing the permit. You could mention in a letter with the application that you will apply for PGWP after your studies and that might be a reason to grant spousal permit, but for spousal permits of PGWP, there are more set of rules of the job in NOC category and payslips and stuff.

Again this is just what i think from the little knowledge ive got from the forums. But any senior member might be able shed more light on it and guide better if any info is wrong.
Country - Ukraine. That was exactly what I'm afraid of - that they will not give her permit because of my study is over...
As for NOC - I don't worry about that to be honest - I'm IT proffesional, already confirmed for the next year during PGWP (but without any papers untill I get PGWP).

Zak8

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Country - Ukraine. That was exactly what I'm afraid of - that they will not give her permit because of my study is over...
As for NOC - I don't worry about that to be honest - I'm IT proffesional, already confirmed for the next year during PGWP (but without any papers untill I get PGWP).
I see that current processing times for your country shows 4 weeks for a work permit. I'd say that its better you wait for your course to be completed and apply after you get a job if going for a SOWP. If you feel that is too much waiting then go for TRV saying that she wants to attend your convocation ceremony. That should be a good reason for granting her a TRV as it is a milestone completion in your life. Still this is just what I feel, and I could be wrong. Hope for the best.