+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit Renewal

mturson

Nov 23, 2018
Hi All,

I am on PGWP and currently working. My wife joined me back in Feb and has applied (online) and was approved for Open WP which expired in Oct 25th. She however left after and was away from June and just got back on Nov 17th. Meaning she was outside Canada when her WP expired. She entered Pearson Intrl as a visitor and her WP was not renewed upon entry when she requested but was directed to apply online.

My question:
Now we want to apply for a WP - would that be a restoration case? my thoughts were that since she was not in Canada with expired status she didn't violate any conditions?

** I have a valid WP until 2021

For form 5710E Question 3: (which of the following is right for her case here?)
- Apply for a work permit with the same employer
- Restore my status as a worker
- Apply for work permit for the first time or with a new employer

A side question: is there a way she can still get OHIP renewal before obtaining her WP status- note that she was not given a visitor record either.

Your help is appreciated- Thanks!!

mturson

Nov 23, 2018
She needs to apply for a new SOWP. No OHIP until she has proof of permanent job that lasts at least 6 months.
Then would her selection for that question be "apply for WP for the first time or with new employer"?, I think either are not quite her case but that one would be the more accurate selection.