+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit - Refused:2014

hemapowar

Jan 13, 2015
Hi,

Thanks for taking time to read my post.

My husband is taking up a MS course in Canada in this year's Fall. I am planning to relocate with him. I need to continue my work in Canada.
1. What are the requisites to make my Open Work permit application successful?
2. When do I apply for one?
3. I heard and read on many online forums that the rejection rate for Open Work Permit is very high especially for a student's spouse. What are the parameters the immigration team will consider?
4. Do I have to mention nature of my work anywhere in application? If it is generic, will my application get rejected?

Thanks,
Hema

hemapowar

Jan 13, 2015
I just read through the Link you have shared a lot of useful information. Thank you for that.

Can you provide contact information of this VFS Company you have mentioned. And how much they charge?

Also if you can share format of letters like
1. Cover Letter
2. Letter in response to the refusal of previous application
3. Relationship background letter
4. Police clearance certificate
5. My support letter for my spouse

that will help me and many similar aspirants.

Appreciate your response very much.

Thanks,
Hema

nickolys

Feb 5, 2015
Hi guys,

Im an international student and want to apply for an open working permit for my wife. I've read through this thread and recognize that everyone seems like they have to provide some documents related to their jobs or employments. Im basically just studying here and didnt go to work at all. Is there any chance for my wife can get the visa and what documents me and my wife should prepare to proof our case. Finance seems to be a big issue in most of the case.

Thanks a lot and much appreciated for ur response.

NewtoPR

Jun 3, 2014
I hope it help both of you.........

OWP for spouse , if you are married less than 3 years there is high chance of rejection , if its more than 3 or having child you are got to get owp.
but with this its must to show your strong tie up back with ur home country on ur spouse name like property on her name , her own financial status which will assure they you will go back after your terms of work permit. So supporting documents like ur own degree, exp, resume , NOC skill along with ur husband NOC skill , ur marriage certificate all those thing which shows tie up and assuring that you will return back help to get u the OWP.

Nis918921

Jan 19, 2015
Nis918921 said:
AnYbody got updates of January file?
I am still waiting.......... :(
got passport request for spousal open work permit.
yupppieeee
jan 3rd applied with medical
jan5th medical status changed to passed
feb 9th got passport request.
waiting passport back with stamp. But i got tickets after 12 days....lets c...should be come in 7 working days

IND_CAN

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
Hi there
I got married in November 2014. I'm working here in India as a teacher since last 4 years. My husband went back to Alberta where he is working taking along the court marriage and other required docs. He has hired a lawyer in Calgary. He mailed me few spouse work permit visa papers that i signed and couriered back to him. As i signed and sent the sowp papers back to my husband. Mailed him education certificates, family relation details, job verification letter, passport size photos, bank statement, passport photocopy, birth certificate, court marriage certificate.

On the other hand he submits his details to the lawyer like bank statement, payslips, current job offer letter.He is classified under LMO B.

How is it that the rest of the applicants are applying from india itself whereas i sent my papers to my husband. Please enlighten me with the spouse visa procedure. Also the time taken for the same.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

shraddha229

Nov 8, 2014
Re: Spouse Open Work Permit - Refused:2014 URGENT

Hi this is Shraddha

Last time as you suggested to go for paper based application for open work permit.( My husband is international student).
I applied in Mumbai vfs on 22 January 2015 and my application got processed in Bangalore.
again I got refusal on 26 April stating.
"You have not demonstrated that you come within the exceptions under section186 of the regulations exempting you from the requirement to obtain a work permit or that your employment in Canada comes within the exceptions to section203 of the regulations.As a result,your offer of employment must be the subject of an economic effect determination beforea work permit can be issued to you.Your employer in Canada should contact the local office of the Department of Human Resour You have not demonstrated that you come within the exceptions under section186 of the regulations exempting you from the requirement to obtain a work permit or that your employment in Canada comes within the exceptions to section203 of the regulations.As a result,your offer of employment must be the subject of an economic effect determination before a work permit can be issued to you.Your employer in Canada should contact the local office of the Department of Human Resources evelopment Canada to begin this processces and Skills Development Canada to begin this process".

And last time also I got same reply.

List of documents I submitted this time are:-

My husband's documents

1 copy of passport
2 copy of student visa
3 copy of SIN
4 copy of work permit
5 copy of enrollment letter
6 copy of invitation letter from college.
7 copy of invitation letter from him
8 copy of university offer letter
9 copy of his BE degree certificate
10 copy of Scotia bank statement
11 copy of his indian bank statement.
12 cover letter
13copy of income tax returns 6months
14 copy of relieving letter of previous company

My documents

1 original passport
2 copy of our marriage certificate
3 our marriage photographs
4 copy of mark sheets
5 copy of degree
6 my bank statement
7 2 photographs
8 copy of police clearance certificate
9 copy of medical examination certificate
10 my cover letter
11resume

Now please tell me what I missed.
I 'll really appreciate your feedback.
now I'm planning to apply for visitors visa please provide me information about it and documents requirement.

Thank you

heema

Oct 8, 2014
Hi all

My open work permit got approved for the third attempt . My husband is a student and my first two applications got rejected. Third time I applied in through a immigration lawyer and it was online application.

I know how bad it feels when we are away from our spouses. I advise to go through good lawyer. I approached two different lawyers .the first one wasted huge amount of money and done nothing. Please do a good research on lawyers and proceed.

Hope this information may be helpful

Thank you and good luck

Preetjas

Star Member
Mar 25, 2015
heema said:
Hi all

My open work permit got approved for the third attempt . My husband is a student and my first two applications got rejected. Third time I applied in through a immigration lawyer and it was online application.

I know how bad it feels when we are away from our spouses. I advise to go through good lawyer. I approached two different lawyers .the first one wasted huge amount of money and done nothing. Please do a good research on lawyers and proceed.

Hope this information may be helpful

Thank you and good luck
Congrats Hema. Please post your timeline ...brcause I husband applied on 27 February still no reply

p3

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th March 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront medicals passed on 10th March 2015
Hey heema congratulations...im really happy for u,by the way how many days did it take for the passport to come back?...i too hv applied online n waiting for my passport request...please pray for me...thank u :)

IND_CAN

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
hi heema.
where did you apply from? canada or india? and pls share your timeline.

IND_CAN

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
hi P3

pls let me know where you applied from,canada or india? after how many days did they respond? my spouse applied from canada through a laywer on 18th march. no response yet.

pls share some info.

thanks a tons.

p3

Star Member
Dec 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7th March 2015
Med's Done....
Upfront medicals passed on 10th March 2015
Hey IND_CAN my husband applied for my open work permit online through his lawyer on the 7th march...i had submitted my application with upfront medicals...n i got a mail on the 10th march that my medicals were passed...im waiting for my passport request now

rekha88

Sep 6, 2014
IND_CAN said:
Hi there
I got married in November 2014. I'm working here in India as a teacher since last 4 years. My husband went back to Alberta where he is working taking along the court marriage and other required docs. He has hired a lawyer in Calgary. He mailed me few spouse work permit visa papers that i signed and couriered back to him. As i signed and sent the sowp papers back to my husband. Mailed him education certificates, family relation details, job verification letter, passport size photos, bank statement, passport photocopy, birth certificate, court marriage certificate.

On the other hand he submits his details to the lawyer like bank statement, payslips, current job offer letter.He is classified under LMO B.

How is it that the rest of the applicants are applying from india itself whereas i sent my papers to my husband. Please enlighten me with the spouse visa procedure. Also the time taken for the same.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Hi IND_CAN,
There are two ways SOWP can be applied.
1) Either your husband can apply for you SOWP in canada (online\paper based) where in you would send him your documents
2) You can apply for SOWP in India where in you submit all the required documents of your husband's in your application.

Regards,
Rekha Anem

heema

Oct 8, 2014
Thanks a lot guys :)

My lawyer directly applied from Canada to Delhi office India through online

My timeline

Applied on February 23rd 2015
Passport request March 23rd 2015
Passport delivered March 27th 2015

It took exactly 20 working days to get passport request