+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work Permit From India

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
Dear All ,

Every year maximum number of students comes in Canada are from India, in which a major chunk is of married students.
So I would like to bring some relevant points in lime light that -

1. According to CIC, Spouse & Common law partner of International students are eligible for Spousal Open Work Permit i.e SOWP.
2. Spouse of Int. Students holds a brighter chance to get SOWP instead of TRV( Temporary Resident VISA or Visitor VISA)
3. Specially in India many consultants misguide or charge very high for SOWP. (Fees to Some extent is relevant)
4. CIC is very strict while providing the SOWP but it doesn’t mean every case leads to rejection, with proper filing, documents and proofs the chances are 100%.
5.Most important factor is timing that when you should apply for it .

Note - For self applying their are many options to get online checklist of documents ,where higher percentage leads to Failure.
So Take proper guidance and assistance while applying .

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
So, when 1 should apply for it???
Hi Dear ,

It depends on individuals profile and case scenario .In some cases Application can go along with the student visa or in someothers needs to wait for a semester to complete. It’s totally depends on situation and scenario.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All ,

Every year maximum number of students comes in Canada are from India, in which a major chunk is of married students.

1. According to CIC, Spouse & Common law partner of International students are eligible for Spousal Open Work Permit i.e SOWP.
2. Spouse of Int. Students holds a brighter chance to get SOWP instead of TRV( Temporary Resident VISA or Visitor VISA)
3. Specially in India many consultants misguide or charge very high for SOWP. (Fees to Some extent is relevant)
4. CIC is very strict while providing the SOWP but it doesn’t mean every case leads to rejection, with proper filing, documents and proofs the chances are 100%.

Note - For self applying their are many options to get online checklist of documents ,where higher percentage leads to Failure.
You are incorrect. Spouses of international are allowed to apply for SOWP. It is not guaranteed. Plenty are accepted but equally many are refused.

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
You are incorrect. Spouses of international are allowed to apply for SOWP. It is not guaranteed. Plenty are accepted but equally many are refused.
Where I am incorrect dear?
I have mentioned that with proper filing and documentation chances are great otherwise their would be a refusal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Where I am incorrect dear?
I have mentioned that with proper filing and documentation chances are great otherwise their would be a refusal

More of a clarification. Not all spouses are eligible. You can apply but it is more like a 50/50 chance that a spouse will be able to get a SOWP.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What does Eligible means to you ?
We see examples of international students interpret eligible as guaranteed.
CIC uses the wording ithat spouses can “apply” for SOWP. Eligible will mean if they meet a criteria. There is no published criteria for granting SOWP for spouses of international students. Your post reads as though eligible is guaranteed since you also say that with proper filing your chances are 100%. That is not the case. If you provide all the proper documentation you can still be refused.

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
We see examples of international students interpret eligible as guaranteed.
CIC uses the wording ithat spouses can “apply” for SOWP. Eligible will mean if they meet a criteria. There is no published criteria for granting SOWP for spouses of international students. Your post reads as though eligible is guaranteed since you also say that with proper filing your chances are 100%. That is not the case. If you provide all the proper documentation you can still be refused.
Hey Dear ,
If the international students interpret eligible as guaranteed than I don’t which dictionary they use .
Secondly Eligibility doesn’t means guarantee over any thing, And if document and filing is proper than they have higher chances of Visa ,it only gets refuse when their is some problem in documents or eligibility criteria .

Hope I cleared my view and points to you .

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey Dear ,
If the international students interpret eligible as guaranteed than I don’t which dictionary they use .
Secondly Eligibility doesn’t means guarantee over any thing, And if document and filing is proper than they have higher chances of Visa ,it only gets refuse when their is some problem in documents or eligibility criteria .

Hope I cleared my view and points to you .

Thanks
Correct people daily who think their spouse can now join them Canada because they recently got married. Filing out documents properly has very little to do with. Most having spouses attending private colleges or universities are denied, if your spouse is studying an advanced degree like a masters or a PhD you have s better chance of being approved, you need to have enough savings to support your family even if you don’t find a job in Canada. The exact criteria is not advertised.

leonie

Oct 29, 2019
Dear All ,

Is the SOWP guaranteed if one partner is employed in a professional job with a PGWP, and the other is not, but was a ex-student with a study permit who switched over to visitor.
Is it easier to get the SOWP because the income is excellent as opposed to a student couple who has limited income?

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
Is the SOWP guaranteed if one partner is employed in a professional job with a PGWP, and the other is not, but was a ex-student with a study permit who switched over to visitor.
Is it easier to get the SOWP because the income is excellent as opposed to a student couple who has limited income?
Yes their are chances if partner sponsor you .

sujeetdahiya

Star Member
May 6, 2019
India
Dear All ,

Two more stories of SOWP for those families who will reunite after a long time in Canada after initial refusals.

First One -
Pragati from Hyderabad (SOWP refusal July 18)
Husband is on Study Permit from May 2018 to Aug 2020.

Again applied On 2nd Dec’19 along with Biometric and Passport.
Medical Request 7th Dec
Medical Submitted 10th Dec
Medical Passed on 18th Dec
Application Approved 28th Dec

Another One

Ajit from Delhi ( 2 refusal i.e SOWP and Visitor Visa respectively)

Again submitted the Application on 23 Nov
With Biometric and Passport
Medical Request 1st Dec
Medical submissions 4th Dec
Medical Passed 14th Dec
Application approved 12th Jan

Thanks
One step at a time is all it takes to get you there

aj534160

Apr 13, 2019
Hello All,

My sister has got admission to study in Quebec and is planning to get the study visa (Jan intake). Going by the assumption that her study visa gets approved (obviously, it should as everything else is done), will her spouse be able to travel to Quebec along with her on a Spousal Open Work Permit.

It is a one year course and they are married 3 years ago. My bro-in-law's mother is here and that reason can be used in case to show the VO about the strong ties with India.

It is a 1 year program that my sister is gonna study and after that, she shud be eligible for a 1 year work permit and this can make her spouse to gain 2 year work permit (if I'm not wrong).

So if one of you have some idea, could throw some light on this (I mean, about the requirements of a SOWP). Also, are there chances that my bro-in-law's OWP be rejected as well?

Manpreet_kaur1100

Dec 10, 2019
Hi
Dear All ,

Hi can you please tell the documents to apply for sowp as I got refusal on the grounds of

You have been unable to adequately demonstrate that you meet the requirements of a
spousal open work permit under section 205(c)(ii) of the Regulations.

Also can my spouse apply for sowp if I as a student still here in my home country ??

If my spouse got sowp refusal can he apply for normal visitor visa?