+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit extension

aasif643

Nov 25, 2020
I am on student permit which expires on April 6, 2021 (before my study completion due to passport expiry). My spouse open work permit also expires on the same date.

We applied for extension of both study permit and spouse open work permit yesterday.

Today we recieved the message in my spouse account with subject "work permit ext except pgwp" in which it is mentioned that my spouse can continue to work with the same permit until March 24,2021 or until the decision is made whichever is earlier.

So, the original work permit expires on april 6, 2021. Yet the document recieved today says my spouse can continue to work until March 24.

Has this happened to anyone else before?
Is this normal?
Any inputs is highly appreciated.

Vessela

Jan 17, 2019
I believe that the message is a model one and gets the date on which you applied + 4 months. My husband applied for a SOWP and received similar message, his OWP expires end of Nov 2020. Probably the system didn't take into account that you have a longer valid work permit.
I hope you (and we) get the new permit sooner than March, though they are processing them for around 4 months in average.

aasif643

Nov 25, 2020
I believe that the message is a model one and gets the date on which you applied + 4 months. My husband applied for a SOWP and received similar message, his OWP expires end of Nov 2020. Probably the system didn't take into account that you have a longer valid work permit.
I hope you (and we) get the new permit sooner than March, though they are processing them for around 4 months in average.
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I am going to call IRCC tomorrow to clarify. I am not sure what happens ir they do not process the application before March 24. Technically, if you apply for extension before the work permit expired, one should be allowed to continue to work till the decision is made.

So your husband also recieved similar message with 4 months of extension?

Vessela

Jan 17, 2019
I hope so, not sure... Probably if they take more time, we can submit a webform asking for advice like 3 weeks before the March date (to give them time to reply)

aasif643

Nov 25, 2020
I talked with IRCC today morning. They told me I can just ignore that letter and continue to work on implied status after the work permit ends if the decision has not been made by that time. Its the generic letter which they have started to give out to people applying for work permit extension.