28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone:

I need help since I will apply for my PGWP and for my husband's extension of OWP. Is there any changes about the requirement of the skill job 0, A and B? Due to the pandemic it's hard for me to find a job.

Thanks.
No - there aren't any changes. You must have a NOC A, B or 0 job for your spouse's SOWP to be extended.

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
Hi:

I just need your help and advise. I'll be applying for PGWP and extension of OWP for my husband. It's hard for me to find a job because of the pandemic. Do you have any idea if there are changes on the requirement of the skill job and payslips for me to extend my husband's visa?

Thanks.

Maria
If you do not get a job and 3 payslips latest a day before your hunsbands current ststus expires, please proceed with applying for a visitor record. This is to be done online through your GIC key account.

This way your husband can continue to stay in canada but cannot take up any employment.

You can only proceed with his OPW once you have a job (noc 0 a or b) and 3 payslips.

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
Hi everyone:

I need help since I will apply for my PGWP and for my husband's extension of OWP. Is there any changes about the requirement of the skill job 0, A and B? Due to the pandemic it's hard for me to find a job.

Thanks.
Dont waste money applying for OPW extension if you dont qualify. Just spent $100 and apply for visitor record so that ur husband can be in the county legally.

Reactions: scylla

Shanker03

May 22, 2020
I asked this question on a previous thread. We are making the application this week. We are having to put both the pgwp and owp extension in at the same time due to only being given 30 days after my common law partner finished college(normally I think you get 90 days transition). On her pgwp it asks if she has a family member(common law) i assume we say yes to that and then it takes you through some questions. On the document page its her documents and then mine at the bottom. Is this the correct way or should I be filling out a whole seperate application. We have been told both are okay, any advice is welcome. She has a solid noc job offer and has work there part time for 12 months and will be full time moving forwad. Advice on the application would be very welcomed as we have one go at this as both our visas run out at the end of august.

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
I asked this question on a previous thread. We are making the application this week. We are having to put both the pgwp and owp extension in at the same time due to only being given 30 days after my common law partner finished college(normally I think you get 90 days transition). On her pgwp it asks if she has a family member(common law) i assume we say yes to that and then it takes you through some questions. On the document page its her documents and then mine at the bottom. Is this the correct way or should I be filling out a whole seperate application. We have been told both are okay, any advice is welcome. She has a solid noc job offer and has work there part time for 12 months and will be full time moving forwad. Advice on the application would be very welcomed as we have one go at this as both our visas run out at the end of august.
The process you are following is correct, both application can go together. But if you both have your own GIC login then put the application seperately.

Remember that the OWP applocation needs to go with documents to support the extension. Employment letter and 3 pay stubs. Full-time/part-time does not matter.

30 days before expiry is alot of time. As long as you apply before the expiry, you are fine. SIN will still be valid during the process and work can continue as normal till you get a decision on the application.

Shanker03

May 22, 2020
The process you are following is correct, both application can go together. But if you both have your own GIC login then put the application seperately.

Remember that the OWP applocation needs to go with documents to support the extension. Employment letter and 3 pay stubs. Full-time/part-time does not matter.

30 days before expiry is alot of time. As long as you apply before the expiry, you are fine. SIN will still be valid during the process and work can continue as normal till you get a decision on the application.
So you would recommend sending in seperate applications? The way that we have been told, is that correct also? We thought that by doing it the way we are doing it is all on one application and hopefully easier to approve. If you think a seperate one is better as i have a login then I am happy to take that advice. We are just worried about it getting rejected on implied status although we feel we have it all correct. Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
So you would recommend sending in seperate applications? The way that we have been told, is that correct also? We thought that by doing it the way we are doing it is all on one application and hopefully easier to approve. If you think a seperate one is better as i have a login then I am happy to take that advice. We are just worried about it getting rejected on implied status although we feel we have it all correct. Any advice is welcome.

I was in the same situation in Feb this year. And got alot of mixed feedback. After long wait on my calls to CIC I finally got to speak to them and they advised to make the application from our own GIC. My wife applied for PGWP and gave the documents as per the checklist and only added her employment letter as an additional document even though it wasnt asked for.

Then after 1 week I applied for my OWP extn and attached the documents requested (which was exactly the same and the initial OWP) and the additional documents was her employment letter and pay stub.

The PGWP approval came in April and I got my OWP extn in May. Both expiring on the same date next year.

Reactions: C_vitamin

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
I was in the same situation in Feb this year. And got alot of mixed feedback. After long wait on my calls to CIC I finally got to speak to them and they advised to make the application from our own GIC. My wife applied for PGWP and gave the documents as per the checklist and only added her employment letter as an additional document even though it wasnt asked for.

Then after 1 week I applied for my OWP extn and attached the documents requested (which was exactly the same and the initial OWP) and the additional documents was her employment letter and pay stub.

The PGWP approval came in April and I got my OWP extn in May. Both expiring on the same date next year.

I also attached my employmwnt details just show that I am working. I dont know if it made a difference, but I just wanted to be sure and show CIC that we were contributing to the economy and are financially stable.

adiben

Star Member
Nov 14, 2014
Hello guys!
Need some suggestions please.
I have an Open work permit valid till November 2020
I came to Canada in June 2020 (My visa was approved in Feb 2020 but due to COVID, I didnt get any flights to travel until June 2020)
My wife is on study permit studying at UofA and her study visa expires same time as mine
She is yet to complete her thesis and final submission before she can get her post-graduation degree
She will most probably be completing her studies by October 2020
Once she gets provisional degree/transcript she will apply for PGWP
I have my own business back home in India so I dont really need to work here as I have steady income and I can show regular incoming funds transfer to my Canadian bank account from my home country. So, till now I didnt bother to look for a job as such.
My question is:
Is it mandatory for me to work here before I file an application to extend my Spouse Open Work Permit?
What if my wife gets a PGWP but dont have any job immediately before our visa expires? What impact will that have on my visa extension?
What do you suggest how should we plan our visa extension beyond November 2020?

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020

Hello Indopino,

I am in the same situation. I have applied for my PGWP 1 month ago. I am waiting for approval. It may take 6 months because of COVID. I have NOC B job and currently working while waiting approval and I have 2 payslips. Now, we have to apply for OWP extension for my husband. His work permit will end in 5 days. Even though, I have 2 payslips, I am going to apply for him and then my third payslip is ready, I will add it later on the system.
My question is applying OWP extension is the same process like applying for PGWP? Do I need to add anything rather than my employment letter, payslips, and his employment letter? I will open a GC account for him and fill out the form like PGWP right?

Thank you so much for your reply,

indopino

Nov 6, 2019
Hello Indopino,

I am in the same situation. I have applied for my PGWP 1 month ago. I am waiting for approval. It may take 6 months because of COVID. I have NOC B job and currently working while waiting approval and I have 2 payslips. Now, we have to apply for OWP extension for my husband. His work permit will end in 5 days. Even though, I have 2 payslips, I am going to apply for him and then my third payslip is ready, I will add it later on the system.
My question is applying OWP extension is the same process like applying for PGWP? Do I need to add anything rather than my employment letter, payslips, and his employment letter? I will open a GC account for him and fill out the form like PGWP right?

Thank you so much for your reply,
Hi, you can apply for your husbands OWP extension now and submit what you have. By the time the start processing the file you will have your 3rd paystub.

The OWP extension is the same way as the OWP. The additional documents are your offer letter, PGWP application confirmation and paystubs that you have. Remember to complete this application before his current permit expires.

When you are in the GIC account towards the bottom there is a tab to apply for visa/permits. Just follow the instructions like new permit.

You can contact me via email on edgar dot jyrwa at gmail dot com. Send me screen shots of your doubts and I will try my best to help.

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hi, you can apply for your husbands OWP extension now and submit what you have. By the time the start processing the file you will have your 3rd paystub.

The OWP extension is the same way as the OWP. The additional documents are your offer letter, PGWP application confirmation and paystubs that you have. Remember to complete this application before his current permit expires.

When you are in the GIC account towards the bottom there is a tab to apply for visa/permits. Just follow the instructions like new permit.

You can contact me via email on edgar dot jyrwa at gmail dot com. Send me screen shots of your doubts and I will try my best to help.
Hello,

Thank you so much for your quick return. I understood clearly what you said. My husband will open a GIC account and he will follow the instructions under work permit tab. Me and my husband both applied study permit and his work permit at the same time before we come to Canada and we have received both study and work permit at the airport so we don’t know how to apply OWP but I will search. It shouldn’t be hard. If I have any question, I will definitely contact you. Thank you

samir5767

Jan 23, 2019
Hi VIP member,

I have been reading your responses to most of the discussion threads and needed your valuable input regarding my concerns -

My wife applied for for PGWP 16th jan2020.

Wife's Student permit, my visitor visa ( i came initially to canada) and my OWP expires as of March 31st 2020.

Wife will have 3 payslips by march 6th with job in noc type B. Administrative assistant.

That will be less than 30 day before expiry of my visitor visa and OWP.

Do i apply for visitor visa extension now?

Do i wait for 3rd payslip by march 6th and then apply for OWP extension?

Do i still need a visitor visa/ visitor record along with OWP extension?

Please help me understand the requirements as cic website juat takes you in circles with no definite answer or process. Thank you for your valuable reply..
hi
I am in same situation. how did you proceed?? you applied for visitors or waited for 3 payslips??

samir5767

Jan 23, 2019
hello guys,
i recently applied PGWp. currently on implied status. My wife open work permit expires 30th December.
ill have 3 paystubs by 11th December. i read that i should i apply extension 30 days before but i wont have paystubs by than. so what are my options now?
should i go ahead and apply for visitors record or wait for paystubs and apply for SOWP?
is it mandatory to apply 30 days before?
can i apply for my wife's extension when am on implied status or should i wait for my PGWP?
really confused. hope someone can solve my doubts.
Thank you

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
hello guys,
i recently applied PGWp. currently on implied status. My wife open work permit expires 30th December.
ill have 3 paystubs by 11th December. i read that i should i apply extension 30 days before but i wont have paystubs by than. so what are my options now?
should i go ahead and apply for visitors record or wait for paystubs and apply for SOWP?
is it mandatory to apply 30 days before?
can i apply for my wife's extension when am on implied status or should i wait for my PGWP?
really confused. hope someone can solve my doubts.
Thank you
Hello Samir,

Wait for 3 paystubs and then apply. You don't have to apply 30 days before. You can even apply for your wife's owp extension 1 day before which is December 29 in your case. But don't wait until that date because sometimes website doesn't work. Apply as soon as you complete 3 paystubs. You don't have to wait for your PGWP document. You can apply for your wife's OWP while you are in implied status.