+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit essential travel without job offer

Mind blowing

Apr 30, 2019
Hello,

We went to Canada during June 2019, my husband was in closed work permit and I was in dependent visa. After reaching Canada, I applied for spouse open work permit and got it approved. The sowp is valid from dec 1 2019, we both came to India for vacation during feb 2020, and TRV approved in passport on feb 20 2020.Due to covid we weren’t able to travel in March 25th. We booked our return tickets too but due to covid British airways cancelled tickets.

Am I allowed to enter Canada now? Few forums say I would require job offer. Few forums say that if work permit approved before March 18, then I am eligible. I also tried sending mail to

ircc.covid-travelexemptions-exemptionsdevoyage-covid.ircc@cic.gc.ca

but didn’t get any reply. My husband has job offer which was given initially during June 2019. I also have SIN, we both have rental agreement for one year. I tried attending interviews when I was in Canada during December 2019, but nothing got selected.

so just want to know if anyone could help me whether am I eligible to travel now with my husband ?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

We went to Canada during June 2019, my husband was in closed work permit and I was in dependent visa. After reaching Canada, I applied for spouse open work permit and got it approved. The sowp is valid from dec 1 2019, we both came to India for vacation during feb 2020, and TRV approved in passport on feb 20 2020.Due to covid we weren’t able to travel in March 25th. We booked our return tickets too but due to covid British airways cancelled tickets.

Am I allowed to enter Canada now? Few forums say I would require job offer. Few forums say that if work permit approved before March 18, then I am eligible. I also tried sending mail to

ircc.covid-travelexemptions-exemptionsdevoyage-covid.ircc@cic.gc.ca

but didn’t get any reply. My husband has job offer which was given initially during June 2019. I also have SIN, we both have rental agreement for one year. I tried attending interviews when I was in Canada during December 2019, but nothing got selected.

so just want to know if anyone could help me whether am I eligible to travel now with my husband ?

Thank you
No you wouldn’t be considered essential travel at the moment.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But the below link says

https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38990&lang=en

There’s a point (m) which says exempted
Telling you based on who we are seeing being denied boarding. If you don’t have a job you don’t need to return Immediately risking public health is the logic. If you are able to get special permission from the embassy you can board. It always comes down to whoever gets called on behalf of the Canadian embassy before you board so there is some variability between locations.