+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse open work permit application while husband is a NOC A worker for 2 years under I.E.C.

CBarr

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
I'm trying to understand whether or not the spouse of a International Experience Canada level NOC A worker can apply for an open work permit without any other requirements other than being the spouse of that worker. What I mean by this is if being the spouse of that worker is enough to apply for an open work permit, also considering the spouse meets the minimum essential requirements like not having criminal records and presenting a medical test if necessary.

The documentation I've managed to locate online thus far is very vague and lacks detail so I'd like to know if anyone knows more about this topic and if possible could link where I can find more about this online.

I appreciate any help in advance.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
The spouse of a work permit holder is entitle to apply for a work permit. If it's an open work permit, the work permit holding spouse must demonstrate that their employment is skilled.
Application after entry

R199 A foreign national may apply for a work permit after entering Canada if they
  • (a) hold a work permit;
  • (b) are working in Canada under the authority of section 186 and are not a business visitor within the meaning of section 187;
  • (c) hold a study permit;
  • (d) hold a temporary resident permit issued under subsection 24(1) of the Act that is valid for at least six months;
  • (e) are a family member of a person described in any of paragraphs (a) to (d);

Spouses or common-law partners of skilled workers [C41]
Spouses or common-law partners of skilled people coming to Canada as foreign workers may themselves be authorized to work without first having an offer of employment. A dependent spouse is eligible to apply for an open work permit if the principal foreign worker
  • holds a work permit that is valid for a period of at least 6 months, or, if working under the authority of section R186 without a work permit, presents evidence that they will be working for a minimum of 6 months;
  • is employed in an occupation that falls within National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill levels A or B (which generally include management and professional occupations and technical or skilled trades [see the NOC website]);
  • physically resides or plans to physically reside in Canada while working.

CBarr

Star Member
Jul 26, 2020
Thank you very much for the detail on the specific case, I've been following up since you posted this back in July.

One other question that came up recently while researching all of this, which is similarly related to this, is can I sponsor someone once I become permanent resident and the sponsored person not have any requirements? I've been reading about this as well thanks to the information you posted ( which lead me to this other similar topic ) and I am having difficulty understanding the specifics that apply to the sponsored person, as in can that person move to Canada straight away without any work permit or requirements other than to be sponsored by a permanent resident?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you very much for the detail on the specific case, I've been following up since you posted this back in July.

One other question that came up recently while researching all of this, which is similarly related to this, is can I sponsor someone once I become permanent resident and the sponsored person not have any requirements? I've been reading about this as well thanks to the information you posted ( which lead me to this other similar topic ) and I am having difficulty understanding the specifics that apply to the sponsored person, as in can that person move to Canada straight away without any work permit or requirements other than to be sponsored by a permanent resident?
A spouse must be included im your PR application. If a spouse is listed as non-accompanying you can apply to sponsor then while you are in Canada after you get your PR.