+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse of a PGWP

Teff16

Jun 22, 2018
Hy guys, do you know if the PGWP holder needs to mandatory have a full time job, so the spouse can apply for the open work permit extension? I know it has to be a NOC 0,A or B job, but in the web page they do not specify if it has to be a full time or if it could be a part time job. Thanks!

This is the transcript from canaca.ca

Spouses or common-law partners of post-graduation work permit holders
If the principal applicant is a holder of an open work permit (e.g., post-graduation work permit, Working Holiday work permit), their spouse or common-law partner who is applying for the C41 exemption will need to attach a copy of the principal applicant’s work permit to their own application for an open work permit, along with proof that the principal applicant is employed in an occupation in skill level 0, A or B. The applicant’s spouse or common-law partner will also need to provide information about the principal applicant’s employment by attaching supporting documents, including the following:
  • a letter from their current employer confirming employment or a copy of their employment offer or contract
  • a copy of 3 of their pay stubs

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It doesn't have to be full time to the best of my knowledge. It can be part time.

KaiB

Feb 11, 2019
Hi, I have a PGWP and my wife's temporary open work permit (based on my previous study visa) will expire in May. I am applying for jobs, so I do not have an employer yet. My wife is working since March last year, can she still extend her work permit, before going for Express Entry or anything else? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Reactions: bob_schaf

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi, I have a PGWP and my wife's temporary open work permit (based on my previous study visa) will expire in May. I am applying for jobs, so I do not have an employer yet. My wife is working since March last year, can she still extend her work permit, before going for Express Entry or anything else? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
1. No, she will have to apply to remain as a visitor, until you get a job in NOC A/B/O and have 3 pay slips,before she can apply for a new SOWP.

Reactions: bob_schaf

Iqbalmanm9

May 19, 2017
Hi
What should be the purpose of visit for spouse of pgwp holder ? Thanks

1. No, she will have to apply to remain as a visitor, until you get a job in NOC A/B/O and have 3 pay slips,before she can apply for a new SOWP.

ahnarose

Feb 5, 2020
Question: My partner recently completed a graduate program, while studying I had an open work permit as her spouse.
We have now applied for a PGWP. We were under the impression that through the PGWP we would both be eligible for Open Work permits, is this true?

We recently got a letter from immigration stating that we need to provide her recent pay stubs and an offer of employment in order for my application to be processed. The issue is, she has only recently graduated and only has a part-time job on contract. Is a letter from this employer sufficient to put my permit through?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Question: My partner recently completed a graduate program, while studying I had an open work permit as her spouse.
We have now applied for a PGWP. We were under the impression that through the PGWP we would both be eligible for Open Work permits, is this true?

We recently got a letter from immigration stating that we need to provide her recent pay stubs and an offer of employment in order for my application to be processed. The issue is, she has only recently graduated and only has a part-time job on contract. Is a letter from this employer sufficient to put my permit through?
She needs a skilled job and 3 payslip for you to qualify for an OWP. The job can be part-time.

Egbs

Aug 12, 2020
Hi,
I have 2 questions on spouse owp. I’ll graduate at the end of this month

1. I am working on a contract, part-time on a Noc B job. However, I pay my own taxes, meaning I am self employed (external contractor). I still have the contract and 3 payslips. Would it count to apply for sowp or should I be ‘employed’?

2. Can he work even though I graduated until the expiry date he has on his current work permit?
I hope you can help me out too.

Shahbaz042

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Hi,
I have 2 questions on spouse owp. I’ll graduate at the end of this month

1. I am working on a contract, part-time on a Noc B job. However, I pay my own taxes, meaning I am self employed (external contractor). I still have the contract and 3 payslips. Would it count to apply for sowp or should I be ‘employed’?

2. Can he work even though I graduated until the expiry date he has on his current work permit?
I hope you can help me out too.
Both of your questions are really good.
I think its better to have full time job instead of part time to make the case stronger (this is my opinion). But contract job should not be an issue as long as there is an end date which is about to come (lets say less than 6 months).

For the second question the best way is to call CIC and ask this question.

Kulvinderkaur

Sep 14, 2019

Hello i am in the same boat.. i just finished my studies and my husbands owp was valid but i applied for his extension also with my pgwp. So are they gonna ask me job letter and pay stub. But i am not working. What should i do?
please suggest and share your expeience
Thank you