+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse (non resident) has to land with applicant?

RaidanZ

Mar 14, 2018
Hello all,
I m sponsoring my wife with the spouse sponsorship program (Outland) and she will be getting the PR soon maybe later in this year 2019.
So I am wondering, as a sponsor ( I m declared non resident), do I need to accompany her to the custom while she officially does the landing procedure.
And I as a sponsor, do I need to declare I am moving back with her and declare back to be a resident status on the same day which she do the official landing?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello all,
I m sponsoring my wife with the spouse sponsorship program (Outland) and she will be getting the PR soon maybe later in this year 2019.
So I am wondering, as a sponsor ( I m declared non resident), do I need to accompany her to the custom while she officially does the landing procedure.
And I as a sponsor, do I need to declare I am moving back with her and declare back to be a resident status on the same day which she do the official landing?
No, and no.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you!
So basically if I still remain to have the status of non residents, I don’t need to pay any tax to Canada.
So a sponsor can support the applicant remotely ?
Well, it's a little more complicated than that.
As you sponsored your wife, you are obligated to return to Canada to reside, at some point in the near future. That's what you declared in the sponsorship application. You really don't want to be cited for misrepresentation...

Secondly, as soon as your wife is a tax resident of Canada, she will be required to file taxes declaring that she's married. Not sure if will impact your tax liability. Best to check with CRA.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,
You are going to have to prove that you plan on resettling in Canada soon after she is gramted PR. It doesn't sound lime you have lived in Canada for quite a long time so you are going to have to show strong proof that you plan on relocating.

RaidanZ

Mar 14, 2018
Sounds like monkey business
Thank you for the feedback.
But if it's a monkey business, I wouldn't have ask in here.
Before I do anything wrong / stupid,
I am more concern if there is a black and white clarification of a sponsor must be accompanying the applicant at all time anywhere,
or mainly to be a financial support would be enough, so the applicant will not take any social benefits right after they have the PR?
I just want to be sure because it sounds like a grey area ?

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Thank you for the feedback.
But if it's a monkey business, I wouldn't have ask in here.
Before I do anything wrong / stupid,
I am more concern if there is a black and white clarification of a sponsor must be accompanying the applicant at all time anywhere,
or mainly to be a financial support would be enough, so the applicant will not take any social benefits right after they have the PR?
I just want to be sure because it sounds like a grey area ?
As stated before, you don't necessarily have to land at the same time as the applicant, but one of the requirements of sponsorship is that you have to demonstrate intention to move to Canada if you don't live there at the time of applying. If you can't prove you will be moving to Canada, your application is likely to be denied. Remember, the point of sponsorship is family reunification, not to just get visas for family members so they can go live in Canada for a bit.

Reactions: zardoz