+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse is ineligible to sponsor due to criminality - What are my options? (US Citizen)

odododod33

Feb 6, 2020
My spouse and I are in a very tough situation. Im a US citizen currently on a Working Holiday Work Permit here in Canada. My spouse cannot sponsor me due to his recent criminal conviction, so as it stands, I have to apply for PR on my own merit.

Currently I have a CRS score of 444.
- Could I use my spouse who is a Canadian citizen to gain points for the following section, or does this only apply to spouses who are not Canadian?

10) Do you or your spouse or common law partner (if they will come with you to Canada) have at least one brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident?

Note: to answer yes, the brother or sister must be:

• 18 years old or older
  • related to you or your partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption
  • have a parent in common with you or your partner

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
no you cannot use your spouse, but if he has siblings, you can use those.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
no you cannot use your spouse, but if he has siblings, you can use those.
That's incorrect. Sibling points are only awarded if the person related to them is included as a dependent in the application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My spouse and I are in a very tough situation. Im a US citizen currently on a Working Holiday Work Permit here in Canada. My spouse cannot sponsor me due to his recent criminal conviction, so as it stands, I have to apply for PR on my own merit.

Currently I have a CRS score of 444.
- Could I use my spouse who is a Canadian citizen to gain points for the following section, or does this only apply to spouses who are not Canadian?

10) Do you or your spouse or common law partner (if they will come with you to Canada) have at least one brother or sister living in Canada who is a citizen or permanent resident?

Note: to answer yes, the brother or sister must be:

• 18 years old or older
  • related to you or your partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership or adoption
  • have a parent in common with you or your partner
You can't get any points at all for your spouse in Canada or their siblings. Your spouse need to be accompanying in order for you to get points for them. However your spouse is already Canadian - so no points. Same applies to the siblings. You can't get point sfor them since they aren't your siblings - they are your spouse's and your spouse isn't included as an accompanying dependent. You'll need to qualify entirely on your own. Recommend you look into the PNP programs if you have already maxed out IELTS.