+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse is a refused refugee claimant, what time line should I expect?

nzk0

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/03/13
AOR Received.
10/04/13
LeisaP said:
Yeah, we sent our ARC in october, but we had some other problems, like for instance they didnt ask for our RCMP BEFORE the arc... which is usually what they do. so we did the rcmp after the arc which caused a 1.5 month delay
and than on top of that they asked for some court documents from my husband and they were not specific, so we ended up sending them the wrong papers. so we are in the process of getting them the correct paperwork and hopefully we will finalize in the next month or so.

so our case was a little weird compared to most.

that last couple ARC that went through mexico city were 2 months or under. one of them was 2 Weeks!!
and yes they will email you asking for your passport :)
Could I ask you how you got the RCMP done within Mexico? I called the embassy and they told me to go to the PGR(Policia Federal) to get a full set of Fingerprints and then Mail that out to them, is that what you did? Thank you!

Chuladaa

May 31, 2012
Toronto
App. Filed.......
March 23, 2012
Doc's Request.
July 20, 2012, July 27, 2012, Dec 07, 2012
AOR Received.
July 03, 2012
File Transfer...
July 03, 2012
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
March 13, 2012
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
April 15, 2013
nzk0 said:
Hello, I have just started the immigration process (spousal sponsorship) with a lawyer in Montreal for my wife who is a failed refugee claimant. Our situation is the following:

We have been married for a little over two years
We live in Mexico City (We've lived in Mexico for about two years)
My wife's refugee claim was refused (Back when we lived in Canada)
My wife left Canada when she was told to
My wife is Mexican (but that was pretty obvious, I guess)
I am Canadian

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and if so, what are the time lines you have expected. I would also greatly appreciate any insight from people who are currently filing for such an application.

Thank you!
Hello you should join the Mexico group you will find a lot of help there
Good thing is your wife left when she was supposed to you will have to do an ARC make sure you have all the refugee papers (reasons and decisions for why she was declined) they will ask you for those!

We are still in process but my case is more complicated.
Also about your relationship....We had been married for less than a month when we applied and we didnt get an interview (my notes state they feel our relationship in genuine and they waived the interview)

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
nzk0 said:
Could I ask you how you got the RCMP done within Mexico? I called the embassy and they told me to go to the PGR(Policia Federal) to get a full set of Fingerprints and then Mail that out to them, is that what you did? Thank you!
Well theres 2 ways to do it,

one is you go the PGR or PGJ and get your prints taken by them on their forms, stamped and sealed and sent them to the rcmp and they will process a police clearance in 3 months!.

or you can get ahold of a company called ottawa commisionaires, where they will courier you a formal rcmp fingerprint form. you take that paper to the PGR or PGJ have them do the finger prints on the rcmp form, stamp and seal it. and mail that along with a couple other simple paperwork and photocopies of id back to ottawa commisionaires. they will take those prints and turn them into digital, send them to the rcmp and get the results in about 72 hours, than courier the results back to you or whereever you need them to do.

its much faster, we did it using ottawa commisionaires and it took us only 2 weeks to get the rcmp back to the embassy, the only thing is its costs a bit more, its $200 for the service fee plus whatever courier fees are applied from sending the forms back and forth.

But i would say it is well worth the money to get it in 2 weeks rather than 3 months!!.

If you need to get your rcmp through ottawa, send me a personal message and I can let you know the contact information for the lady I dealt with at that office.

nzk0

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/03/13
AOR Received.
10/04/13
LeisaP said:
Well theres 2 ways to do it,

one is you go the PGR or PGJ and get your prints taken by them on their forms, stamped and sealed and sent them to the rcmp and they will process a police clearance in 3 months!.

or you can get ahold of a company called ottawa commisionaires, where they will courier you a formal rcmp fingerprint form. you take that paper to the PGR or PGJ have them do the finger prints on the rcmp form, stamp and seal it. and mail that along with a couple other simple paperwork and photocopies of id back to ottawa commisionaires. they will take those prints and turn them into digital, send them to the rcmp and get the results in about 72 hours, than courier the results back to you or whereever you need them to do.

its much faster, we did it using ottawa commisionaires and it took us only 2 weeks to get the rcmp back to the embassy, the only thing is its costs a bit more, its $200 for the service fee plus whatever courier fees are applied from sending the forms back and forth.

But i would say it is well worth the money to get it in 2 weeks rather than 3 months!!.

If you need to get your rcmp through ottawa, send me a personal message and I can let you know the contact information for the lady I dealt with at that office.
I'll be going to the PGR tomorrow to get the prints from them and send them to Ottawa, I didn't even start my process yet so when they request it, I'll have it ready. Thanks for your help :)

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
nzk0 said:
I'll be going to the PGR tomorrow to get the prints from them and send them to Ottawa, I didn't even start my process yet so when they request it, I'll have it ready. Thanks for your help :)
Just keep in mind once u have a police check done, it has to be in the hands of the embassy within 3 months of you getting it done. if they dont receive it in 3 months, its invalid and you have to do it again. and they are only good for 1 year

nzk0

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/03/13
AOR Received.
10/04/13
LeisaP said:
Just keep in mind once u have a police check done, it has to be in the hands of the embassy within 3 months of you getting it done. if they dont receive it in 3 months, its invalid and you have to do it again. and they are only good for 1 year
Oh, I did not know that actually, I think I should be able to do it by that timeline but thanks for the tip. Another reason to do it faster :p

When you say they are only good for one year do you mean that if my application takes more than one year they'll ask for new ones even if we passed that stage already? Thx :D

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
nzk0 said:
Oh, I did not know that actually, I think I should be able to do it by that timeline but thanks for the tip. Another reason to do it faster :p

When you say they are only good for one year do you mean that if my application takes more than one year they'll ask for new ones even if we passed that stage already? Thx :D
umm, im not 100% sure. but i think if they get the police checks and approve them, even if they go past the one year. they shouldnt ask for a new one.
the only thing that MUST be valid to land in canada is your medical, which is only valid for 1 year too.

if the application goes over 1 year and they dont ask for an extension on your medical, they will ask you to redo it so you can land in canada.

nzk0

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/03/13
AOR Received.
10/04/13
LeisaP said:
umm, im not 100% sure. but i think if they get the police checks and approve them, even if they go past the one year. they shouldnt ask for a new one.
the only thing that MUST be valid to land in canada is your medical, which is only valid for 1 year too.

if the application goes over 1 year and they dont ask for an extension on your medical, they will ask you to redo it so you can land in canada.
Ahh I see, but they should still let us through and we'll have a delay to do it within Canada? By the way, if you're not already you should be an immigration adviser, you know your stuff! :)

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
nzk0 said:
Ahh I see, but they should still let us through and we'll have a delay to do it within Canada? By the way, if you're not already you should be an immigration adviser, you know your stuff! :)
sorry im confused what you are asking, delay to do which inside canada?

lol and well i dont know everything, but going through the process i have learnt alot and im glad I can help! and im studying Immigration in school :)

nzk0

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/03/13
AOR Received.
10/04/13
LeisaP said:
sorry im confused what you are asking, delay to do which inside canada?

lol and well i dont know everything, but going through the process i have learnt alot and im glad I can help! and im studying Immigration in school :)
No worries, I think I answered my own question, I was tired when I wrote that one lol. By the way, I have just paid the fees and will be sending the application tomorrow :) I'm super excited :D

nzk0

Star Member
Jan 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/03/13
AOR Received.
10/04/13
I thought I would revive this thread and give you guys an update... I have finally sent in my application on the 26th of March and receive the AOR on the 10th of April. Got it in only two weeks so I'm really excited, I hope the rest of the process is that speedy :D

jahdes

Oct 9, 2013
KNG
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February-2012
File Transfer...
August 2012
Med's Request
June-2012
Med's Done....
July6 2012
Interview........
April 23 2013
Passport Req..
May 9 2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
hey am in a similar situation to yours I am a refuse refugee claimant myself I was sent back to Jamaica, as I see previous replys that refugee claimants CIC has us a red flags but we are human too,my experience was terrible too I did my interview and I was treated badley by the VO I ask my self over and over why are we treated this way. I went back to Jamaica on January 10 2012, I got an interview on April 2013,the VO was very terrible I started to cry when she was finished with me,she told me I have 30 days to prove my marriage was real,she didn't tell me what she wanted so I called my husband and my Lawyer I told my Lawyer what took place he send them an e-mail,they reply saying that they need proof that we were living together as a couple in Canada. I sent the proof along with the passports (kids is been filed for also)in May 2013,they reply stating that they have received the additional documents and that they were satisfied and that they are dealing with the application according to how it has received in the queue and that they have an annual quota to meet and if they need any additional documents that they would contact the applicant,i have been waiting since. Now I heard that they are on strike. I realize that they don't count us refugee cant we fall inlove and married too?i wish all of us in similar situation could let our voice be heard its almost two years now away from my husband, yet still they say they are a family country.

jboo

Star Member
May 31, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2013
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
12-06-2013
jahdes said:
hey am in a similar situation to yours I am a refuse refugee claimant myself I was sent back to Jamaica, as I see previous replys that refugee claimants CIC has us a red flags but we are human too,my experience was terrible too I did my interview and I was treated badley by the VO I ask my self over and over why are we treated this way. I went back to Jamaica on January 10 2012, I got an interview on April 2013,the VO was very terrible I started to cry when she was finished with me,she told me I have 30 days to prove my marriage was real,she didn't tell me what she wanted so I called my husband and my Lawyer I told my Lawyer what took place he send them an e-mail,they reply saying that they need proof that we were living together as a couple in Canada. I sent the proof along with the passports (kids is been filed for also)in May 2013,they reply stating that they have received the additional documents and that they were satisfied and that they are dealing with the application according to how it has received in the queue and that they have an annual quota to meet and if they need any additional documents that they would contact the applicant,i have been waiting since. Now I heard that they are on strike. I realize that they don't count us refugee cant we fall inlove and married too?i wish all of us in similar situation could let our voice be heard its almost two years now away from my husband, yet still they say they are a family country.

There is a Kingston Jamaica thread that You can post this on to get feedback from other Jamaicans

raemond

Feb 19, 2014
everyone case is diffrent.it could take 5 months or longer.i was called for an interview after 5 month and im a failed refugee clamant too