+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse here in Canada on multiple entry visiting visa (while PR in process) - can he apply for an open work permit?

Sep 15, 2021
Hi all,

I'm sure this question has probably been asked a thousand times, but I'm in a crunch for time - and hoping someone may have updated information to share.

Instead of my husband having to leave when his 6 months is up (even though he is in the final stages of PR in process) - can he apply for an open work permit, and remain in Canada on maintained status without having to leave the country when his 6 months visa is up (he has a multiple entry visa).

That said, with a multiple entry visa, can he still apply for a visiting visa extension - if applying for an open work permit isn't an option?

We really don't know what to do, or how long the rest of his process could take - we have reached the medicals passed stages, but it may still be months, who knows.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I'm sure this question has probably been asked a thousand times, but I'm in a crunch for time - and hoping someone may have updated information to share.

Instead of my husband having to leave when his 6 months is up (even though he is in the final stages of PR in process) - can he apply for an open work permit, and remain in Canada on maintained status without having to leave the country when his 6 months visa is up (he has a multiple entry visa).

That said, with a multiple entry visa, can he still apply for a visiting visa extension - if applying for an open work permit isn't an option?

We really don't know what to do, or how long the rest of his process could take - we have reached the medicals passed stages, but it may still be months, who knows.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you.
Did you apply for PR inland or outland?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sep 15, 2021
OWP is not an option then.

He should apply to extend his visitor status.

Really so he can't change the condition of his visa? So Even with a multiple entry visa you can still apply for an extension, I wasn't sure if that option was only for people with a single entry visa...

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Really so he can't change the condition of his visa? So Even with a multiple entry visa you can still apply for an extension, I wasn't sure if that option was only for people with a single entry visa...
Visitor status extension is available for ppl on valid visitor status (single entry or mulitple or entered with eTA)

Reactions: Marsandana2021

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know what you mean by "change the condition on his visa". He would only qualify for an OWP if you had applied inland. His application is outland so no OWP.

He needs to apply to extend his visitor status in Canada before the six months runs out: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay/apply.html

Yes, he still needs to apply for an extension even with the multiple entry visa.

Sep 15, 2021
Thank you both, I really appreciate it! Would he be able to extend for another 6 months?

I'm not exactly sure what reasons we would put for the reason of extension. The truth is, because we don't want to get separated by great distance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you both, I really appreciate it! Would he be able to extend for another 6 months?

I'm not exactly sure what reasons we would put for the reason of extension. The truth is, because we don't want to get separated by great distance.
Indicate that you are in the process of sponsorship. You should be an
E to get an extension.

Sep 15, 2021
Indicate that you are in the process of sponsorship. You should be an
E to get an extension.
Thank you so very much!!

We are in the medicals passed stage as of Feb 7th - still reviewing eligibility - but who really knows how much longer that will take.

Also hoping we can bypass having to travel back across the world (and literally) should he need an interview, since he is already here in Canada - but not sure how that will work if he does end up needing an interview.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Also hoping we can bypass having to travel back across the world (and literally) should he need an interview, since he is already here in Canada - but not sure how that will work if he does end up needing an interview.
Interviews seem to be all virtual now.

And interviews not that common anyway.

Reactions: scylla

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Really hoping so.....

I can't thank everyone enough again for your replies! It's nice to feel like I'm not alone, while wandering around aimlessly in this black hole.
Not worth worrying about interview until the time comes. You may wish to order gcms notes at some point, which usually would have a note saying interview suggested or required if it's needed (but not definitive). GCMS notes are slow now though.

Good luck.