+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse have criminal record outside Canada, can sponsorship be sucessful?

EmyHoang

Star Member
Mar 22, 2020
Hello everyone
I have boyfriend back home, we have not married yet as we still worry about his status. Long time ago, he committed a crime - Theft and has completed jail 7 years. Now it's been 6 years since he went out.
I met a lawyer last week and the lawyer told me that my boy friend need to apply for rehabilitation, it takes about 1 year and no one can guarantee if he can go through rehabilitation. if it is successful, then I can sponsor him.
Does any body in this forum know any similar case like mine? Is there any chance that I and my boyfriend can reunite in Canada?
Thank you so much for your help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone
I have boyfriend back home, we have not married yet as we still worry about his status. Long time ago, he committed a crime - Theft and has completed jail 7 years. Now it's been 6 years since he went out.
I met a lawyer last week and the lawyer told me that my boy friend need to apply for rehabilitation, it takes about 1 year and no one can guarantee if he can go through rehabilitation. if it is successful, then I can sponsor him.
Does any body in this forum know any similar case like mine? Is there any chance that I and my boyfriend can reunite in Canada?
It's hard to say for certain. You'll need to go through the rehabilitation process and see what happens. If the sentence was 7 years, this wasn't simple theft and had to be something more serious.

If this is the only crime on his record, then generally speaking he should have a good chance of getting rehabilitation approved. But again, some of that will depend on what he was exactly convicted for.

Reactions: Belarusian and jddd

EmyHoang

Star Member
Mar 22, 2020
It's hard to say for certain. You'll need to go through the rehabilitation process and see what happens. If the sentence was 7 years, this wasn't simple theft and had to be something more serious.

If this is the only crime on his record, then generally speaking he should have a good chance of getting rehabilitation approved. But again, some of that will depend on what he was exactly convicted for.
Thank you for your response. This is the only crime in his record, his record shows theft with weapon.
It is a long story. He had a good background before the crime. At that time, he was working as a marketing manager for a company. One of the worst luck in his life was joining an english class at night and make friend with a guy there. One night, that guy called him out for help. When he came, that guy is thieving in an old women's house and tied she up with a rope. My boy friend immediately untied her and left the house, but did not call police. And the day after, he was arrested while still working in a building. Everyone at the time said he might not been convicted the crime if he called police.
Is there any hope if officer read the case and give some sympathy?
After he went out jail, he started studying again and got college diploma in automotive and serve well as a volunteer in charity and authority departments.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response. This is the only crime in his record, his record shows theft with weapon.
It is a long story. He had a good background before the crime. At that time, he was working as a marketing manager for a company. One of the worst luck in his life was joining an english class at night and make friend with a guy there. One night, that guy called him out for help. When he came, that guy is thieving in an old women's house and tied she up with a rope. My boy friend immediately untied her and left the house, but did not call police. And the day after, he was arrested while still working in a building. Everyone at the time said he might not been convicted the crime if he called police.
Is there any hope if officer read the case and give some sympathy?
After he went out jail, he started studying again and got college diploma in automotive and serve well as a volunteer in charity and authority departments.
The officer will evaluate the case based on what your boyfriend was convicted for. If your boyfriend simply went to the house, immediately untied the woman and then immediately left, it seems extremely unlikely he would have spent 7 years in prison. I suspect there may be more to the story. He should make sure he is 100% honest in his rehabilitation application with regards to any statements he makes about this crime. He will be required to submit all of the court documents and IRCC officers will have access to this information and the details included here.

It's certainly possible rehabilitation will be approved. None of us here work for IRCC and cannot guess the outcome. All you can do is apply and hope for the best. Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: Belarusian

EmyHoang

Star Member
Mar 22, 2020
The officer will evaluate the case based on what your boyfriend was convicted for. If your boyfriend simply went to the house, immediately untied the woman and then immediately left, it seems extremely unlikely he would have spent 7 years in prison. I suspect there may be more to the story. He should make sure he is 100% honest in his rehabilitation application with regards to any statements he makes about this crime. He will be required to submit all of the court documents and IRCC officers will have access to this information and the details included here.

It's certainly possible rehabilitation will be approved. None of us here work for IRCC and cannot guess the outcome. All you can do is apply and hope for the best. Hope it works out for you.

STUNNA1

Apr 23, 2020
Hi, i have applied for spousal sponsorship and i believe i have misrepresented myself.. I seleceted no for “have you ever been detained, incarcerated or put in jail” i was 14-15 when i was stopped in jamaica for marijuana and had to pay a fine. Criminal record is clean. i have sent a CSE and explained that i wasnt sure if i needed to disclose because they were youth offences and i had totally forget.. what are my chances of it being refused and i being banned

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, i have applied for spousal sponsorship and i believe i have misrepresented myself.. I seleceted no for “have you ever been detained, incarcerated or put in jail” i was 14-15 when i was stopped in jamaica for marijuana and had to pay a fine. Criminal record is clean. i have sent a CSE and explained that i wasnt sure if i needed to disclose because they were youth offences and i had totally forget.. what are my chances of it being refused and i being banned
You won't be refused or banned. Relax.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you.. im still really worried and i hope everything is fine
Nothing to worry about. W Hen you tell IRCC about stuff like this BEFORE they find out themselves, it's fine. It's only if they find out and you haven't told them that there is an issue.

STUNNA1

Apr 23, 2020
Nothing to worry about. W Hen you tell IRCC about stuff like this BEFORE they find out themselves, it's fine. It's only if they find out and you haven't told them that there is an issue.
Yes, i had seen other people claim to have done the same and didnt see any results if they got visa or not, im not sure if i should upload a new form with the changes or wait for the officer.. when i called they told me just send the corrects the officer will let u know the next steps? What do you think i should do?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, i had seen other people claim to have done the same and didnt see any results if they got visa or not, im not sure if i should upload a new form with the changes or wait for the officer.. when i called they told me just send the corrects the officer will let u know the next steps? What do you think i should do?
Nothing. You already did it.

STUNNA1

Apr 23, 2020
Hi i have another question.. in the letter i sent i wasnt extremely detailed.. do you think i should sent another CSE with it being detailed and i think i only mentioned the detainment happened once when it was twice i had to pay a fine now that i remember?? Should i send another one?

STUNNA1

Apr 23, 2020
Nothing. You already did it.
Hi i have another question.. in the letter i sent i wasnt extremely detailed.. do you think i should sent another CSE with it being detailed and i think i only mentioned the detainment happened once when it was twice i had to pay a fine now that i remember?? Should i send another one?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If they want more info, they will request it.

STUNNA1

Apr 23, 2020
But dont you think its misrepresentation because i sent a precious CSE noting only 1 “detainment” and not the other?? Or am i overthinking this WAY TO MUCH