+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse got invited to take oath, while my application still in progress. Is this normal?

Jul 30, 2022
We (wife and I) applied as a family (two applications in one envelope, one receipt). We passed our citizenship tests last year (30 days apart from each other). She got a mail inviting her for oath in a Zoom call (next week), while my application status is still ‘in progress’. All information in our applications are almost same (except for work history), we have the same addresses and travel history for the past 5 years.

The invitation notice has this line

“By participating in this video oath ceremony, you confirm that you, and any family members associated to your application, will be taking the Oath of citizenship in Canada.”

The ‘any family member’ bit is giving me hope that we are both invited to the ceremony. But I’m not sure.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Or, any advice what on what should I do (I contacted through web form last month and got a template response).

wink

May 25, 2021
On the oath invitation email, there should be an attachment and at the end of this attached document there should be a oath form where the person taking oath supposed to sign and send it back. There should be an oath form for each one of you. If there is only one form, that means only one is invited.

The scenario you described is usually happens for minor applicants. For adults, your status should say "completed" before you could get oath invitation as for as I know.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
We (wife and I) applied as a family (two applications in one envelope, one receipt). We passed our citizenship tests last year (30 days apart from each other). She got a mail inviting her for oath in a Zoom call (next week), while my application status is still ‘in progress’. All information in our applications are almost same (except for work history), we have the same addresses and travel history for the past 5 years.

“By participating in this video oath ceremony, you confirm that you, and any family members associated to your application, will be taking the Oath of citizenship in Canada.”

The ‘any family member’ bit is giving me hope that we are both invited to the ceremony. But I’m not sure.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Or, any advice what on what should I do (I contacted through web form last month and got a template response).
even if you gave the same email address for both applications, you would still get two separate emails addressed individually for the oath. If you haven’t received yours, then it is still under process. Nothing extraordinary, as each application follows its own oath.

Sniperflutt

Star Member
Jun 2, 2020

I know this is very late question but I am in a similar situation now. So I wanted to ask how your case progressed then, did your wife attend the ceremony with you? I mean did she had her invitation with you ?

Thank you

Jul 30, 2022
I know this is very late question but I am in a similar situation now. So I wanted to ask how your case progressed then, did your wife attend the ceremony with you? I mean did she had her invitation with you ?

Thank you
She attended the oath on her own, received her citizenship certificate and now applied for her passport. I am still waiting on my application

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Why don’t you send them an email to inquire case status ??? Maybe that can help confirm.
No harm in sending status update request/inquiry

Jul 30, 2022
I love “why don’t just…” questions!

I have done that (more than once) and got no answer and template answers. I wouldn’t be looking around the Internet for folks who are in the same situation as me if the solution was that simple.

irccsux

Mar 8, 2023
I'm in the same boat as you. My wife and I applied together, passed the test on the same day, have the exact same address and travel history, even have the same work history as we own our business, yet, she received her invitation for the oath later this month and I'm still waiting. Requested updates a couple of times with no response other than their canned, templated B.S. There is no rhyme or reason to anything IRCC does. I work with 100s of immigrants who are going through various applications with IRCC (visas, PR, etc.) and some of the sh** I'm seeing IRCC doing is unbelievable. Any private company operating in that manner would be out of business in a week.

Jul 30, 2022

Update: My spouse attended the oath alone, received citizenship certificate and eventually got Canadian Passport. My case is still pending.

I inquired through the office of my local MP, apparently my case is ‘non-routine’ and criminality is under review. I recently had to submit my fingerprints to RCMP.

iggy711

Jan 23, 2024
Any update on this thread? We are a family of 4, kids are 13 and 16 and we applied on July 2022. Last week, we got an email addressed to the 13 y/o inviting her for oath taking. She was supposed to be under me as she is a minor but no update for me and my husband. As for the 16 y/o, her online application hasn't even touched since july 2022 saying application was received.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Any update on this thread? We are a family of 4, kids are 13 and 16 and we applied on July 2022. Last week, we got an email addressed to the 13 y/o inviting her for oath taking. She was supposed to be under me as she is a minor but no update for me and my husband. As for the 16 y/o, her online application hasn't even touched since july 2022 saying application was received.
I feel your oath is also scheduled but currently not showing on tracker. You can call and check with IRCC.

iggy711

Jan 23, 2024
I feel your oath is also scheduled but currently not showing on tracker. You can call and check with IRCC.
I have been calling their hotline but no luck. I will try again tomorrow and will call earlier. I have also sent emails but no response. My plan is that we will all show up for the oath taking and will explain to the clerk. Hopefully something good happens as we will all be taking time offs.