+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse entry on Visit Visa before applying for Spouse Sponsorship

Hasan_druid

Mar 19, 2019
Hello All,

I am in dire need of advice. Situation is this:

I'm a new immigrant. Just recently completed 3 years stay in Canada and am in process of filing for citizenship. I have gone back home to visit my parents twice in these 3 years. First time, I went in July 2018. My parents arranged for me to meet a girl there. We liked each other. I came back but we kept in touch. In Dec 2018, I visited again and got married (nikah) to the girl. 'Rukhsati' has been planned for July 2019. My wife had applied for a visit visa to Canada in Oct 2018 (when she was unmarried) and got the visa in March 2019 (now married).

The plan is for her to come to Canada with me in July 2019 after the wedding reception and all, utilizing her visit visa and once she is here we apply for In-land Spouse Sponsorship. We both are bad liars and dont want to withhold information or not disclose something. I have talked to a couple of friends and have received totally differing suggestions.

Questions:
1. Is there an obligation on my wife to disclose her marital status change before leaving country? What do rules/laws say about that?
2. Should she disclose while entering Canada that she is married? (one friend says if she does she'd be booked on the next flight back). If she does disclose being married should she reveal we intend to file In-land application.

Thank you in advance.
-Hasan

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Hello All,

I'm a new immigrant. Just recently completed 3 years stay in Canada and am in process of filing for citizenship. I have gone back home to visit my parents twice in these 3 years. First time, I went in July 2018. My parents arranged for me to meet a girl there. We liked each other. I came back but we kept in touch. In Dec 2018, I visited again and got married (nikah) to the girl. 'Rukhsati' has been planned for July 2019. My wife had applied for a visit visa to Canada in Oct 2018 (when she was unmarried) and got the visa in March 2019 (now married).

The plan is for her to come to Canada with me in July 2019 after the wedding reception and all, utilizing her visit visa and once she is here we apply for In-land Spouse Sponsorship. We both are bad liars and dont want to withhold information or not disclose something. I have talked to a couple of friends and have received totally differing suggestions.

Questions:
1. Is there an obligation on my wife to disclose her marital status change before leaving country? What do rules/laws say about that?
2. Should she disclose while entering Canada that she is married? (one friend says if she does she'd be booked on the next flight back). If she does disclose being married should she reveal we intend to file In-land application.

Thank you in advance.
-Hasan
I don't know about the 1st question. For 2nd question, if she is not asked when entering Canada, she does not have to tell. But if she is asked, she has to answer by the fact.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello All,

Questions:

Thank you in advance.
-Hasan
Hi

1. No, she doesn't need to update IRCC about her marital status.

2. If she is asked, she must tell the truth. If she isn't asked, then she doesn't need to say anything.

guydecent

Star Member
Jun 29, 2019
That was a great question. Thanks for the answers. I was looking for an answer for exactly the same situation.