+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse entering Canada during Covid

Sep 18, 2020
Hi all.

Will appreciate your input for my situation:

My fiance is a Canadian citizen residing in Canada and I am a Singapore citizen (with ETA for Canada) residing in Singapore.

We are planning to get married in Singapore or Pakistan in December.

My question is if a marriage certificate from Singapore or Pakistan be enough for me to enter Canada when I travel with my fiance after the wedding? Will we need a Canada issued marriage license? I understand that spouses of Citizens can enter Canada during Covid, however we wont have marriage certificate from Canada. What documents will I need to show the officer upon landing?

If it was not for Covid, the plan was to enter Canada as a tourist with ETA with dual intention of a visit and filing for Inland Sponsorship. With covid regulations in place, our plans have changed.

Your advice will be appreciated!

Thank you.

Reactions: Christmarie

ddzel

Star Member
Feb 17, 2020
Hi all.

My fiance is a Canadian citizen residing in Canada and I am a Singapore citizen (with ETA for Canada) residing in Singapore.

My question is if a marriage certificate from Singapore or Pakistan be enough for me to enter Canada when I travel with my fiance after the wedding? Will we need a Canada issued marriage license? I understand that spouses of Citizens can enter Canada during Covid, however we wont have marriage certificate from Canada. What documents will I need to show the officer upon landing?

If it was not for Covid, the plan was to enter Canada as a tourist with ETA with dual intention of a visit and filing for Inland Sponsorship. With covid regulations in place, our plans have changed.

Thank you.
Hi, my spouse recently entered Canada earlier this week. A marriage license from Singapore or Pakistan should be just fine. We found that most of the issues came with convincing the airline that he was eligible to fly. My spouse had everything printed and ready to prove he was able to travel to Canada with an eTA, though it was still difficult as the airline was convinced he needed approval from the consulate. They called the consulate who confirmed our marriage certificate and a copy of my passport was enough information needed. Upon arriving in Canada he had no issues with customs and it was a fairly easy process.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi all.

Thank you.
You will never need a marriage certificate from Canada and you won't get one unless you decide to have another ceremony here.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You will never need a marriage certificate from Canada and you won't get one unless you decide to have another ceremony here.
I'm pretty sure you cannot get another wedding certificate in Canada if already married - even to the same person. (You can have a ceremony of you like though)

At least not without getting divorced or an annulment and remarrying.

Not certain, though.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I'm pretty sure you cannot get another wedding certificate in Canada if already married - even to the same person. (You can have a ceremony of you like though)

At least not without getting divorced or an annulment and remarrying.

Not certain, though.
I tho't if they wanted to do another ceremony here they could get a CDN certificate, maybe not though. Kind of irrevelant though since its not needed.

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Hi, my spouse recently entered Canada earlier this week. A marriage license from Singapore or Pakistan should be just fine. We found that most of the issues came with convincing the airline that he was eligible to fly. My spouse had everything printed and ready to prove he was able to travel to Canada with an eTA, though it was still difficult as the airline was convinced he needed approval from the consulate. They called the consulate who confirmed our marriage certificate and a copy of my passport was enough information needed. Upon arriving in Canada he had no issues with customs and it was a fairly easy process.
Second that! My spouse is flying today and also had problems, with the airline not accepting the Marriage Cert and my passport as enough proof. They thought the spouses had to be traveling together.

Be aware that this is what the law says right now. Everything can change between now and December.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Second that! My spouse is flying today and also had problems, with the airline not accepting the Marriage Cert and my passport as enough proof. They thought the spouses had to be traveling together.

Be aware that this is what the law says right now. Everything can change between now and December.
Was your spouse eventually allowed to board the plane? Hope so.

Conaider

Star Member
Mar 22, 2018
Was your spouse eventually allowed to board the plane? Hope so.
Right, I forgot to finish the story! Yes, the airline checked with the Embassy and they confirmed it was ok! It’s not boarding time yet, but they did allow the check-in.
For anyone traveling these days, be prepared to argue... bring all papers possible (including a printout of the current rules) and if they don’t believe you, ask that they call the Embassy.

I’m hoping my spouse doesn’t have issues with CBSA,but from the looks of it, the hardest part is to convince the airline people to let you in the plane:oops:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Right, I forgot to finish the story! Yes, the airline checked with the Embassy and they confirmed it was ok! It’s not boarding time yet, but they did allow the check-in.
For anyone traveling these days, be prepared to argue... bring all papers possible (including a printout of the current rules) and if they don’t believe you, ask that they call the Embassy.

I’m hoping my spouse doesn’t have issues with CBSA,but from the looks of it, the hardest part is to convince the airline people to let you in the plane:oops:
That's good news. I don't think your spouse will have any issues with CBSA.

Reactions: Conaider