+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Applies for Temporary Visitor Visa from the U.S.

juicydec

Jun 18, 2023
Dear folks,

I am an international graduate student in Manitoba, CA. My wife plans to apply for a visitor visa next month to visit me for about 15 days during her winter break this December. She is an international graduate student studying in Boston, USA.

Since I am willing to be fully responsible for all the expenses in terms of round-trip international flights, living expenses in Canada, etc., I have a few questions about how to be well-prepared for the Proof of Financial Support:

1. How much funds should be there in my Canadian bank account? I am a full-time student and have income paid by my university. I think the most expensive part of the visit is to purchase the round-trip flight between the USA and Canada; she will be staying with me in my apartment, so the living cost (besides groceries) is minimal, in my opinion.
2. Besides all the job letters I can get from my university to support her application, is it a good idea for me to provide her with a sponsorship letter telling visa officers that, as a husband, I am willing to be financially responsible for her visit to Canada?
3. Since I just arrived in Canada in August, if I have enough funds in my Canadian bank account, do I still need to wait three to four months to provide her with my bank statements?

Thank you very much in advance for answering my questions.

Best!

Mgillanders

Star Member
Jul 16, 2023
Thank you very much for sharing the link! My question is: do I need to fill it out by handwriting or edit it as a PDF on my computer? Do you have any suggestion about that?
If you have adobe pro easy edit or create your own in word then print as pdf, then if your close to a embassy then have them notarize it or your local mp, just have someone with weight on your form I got a sergeant of the rcmp too sign mine due to remoteness plus I was a commissionaire a long time ago

juicydec

Jun 18, 2023
Thank you very much for sharing the link! My question is: do I need to fill it out by handwriting or edit it as a PDF on my computer? Do you have any suggestion about that?
If you have adobe pro easy edit or create your own in word then print as pdf, then if your close to a embassy then have them notarize it or your local mp, just have someone with weight on your form I got a sergeant of the rcmp too sign mine due to remoteness plus I was a commissionaire a long time ago
If I use the template you shared, is it correct that the only thing I need to replace in the document before getting notarized is "At the Philippine Consulate General, Toronto, Ontario, Canada"? There is no embassy nearby in my city. Thanks.

Mgillanders

Star Member
Jul 16, 2023

If I use the template you shared, is it correct that the only thing I need to replace in the document before getting notarized is "At the Philippine Consulate General, Toronto, Ontario, Canada"? There is no embassy nearby in my city. Thanks.
I would say so but always make sure with a lawyer or rcic. Keep it simple

juicydec

Jun 18, 2023
Don’t pay anyone. This proof has minimal impact since it isn’t enforceable. Proof of funds and proof that she will return to her school after the break is the best you can do.
Hi there. Thank you very much for the reply and provide me with the advice. I have a small question about the proof for returning to school after the visit.
Can a valid rental agreement in the U.S. convince the visa officer that she will return after the visit? I couldn't think of any documents to prove that besides her enrolment letter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there. Thank you very much for the reply and provide me with the advice. I have a small question about the proof for returning to school after the visit.
Can a valid rental agreement in the U.S. convince the visa officer that she will return after the visit? I couldn't think of any documents to prove that besides her enrolment letter.
Proof of lease, proof of registration and payment for the next semester, proof of phone contracts/car lease/etc.,etc.

juicydec

Jun 18, 2023
Proof of lease, proof of registration and payment for the next semester, proof of phone contracts/car lease/etc.,etc.
Thank you for answering my question. I am sorry, I have another question about the AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT AND GUARANTEE.

Do you mean it is not necessary for me to provide my wife an AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT AND GUARANTEE to convince the visa officer that I am willing to be financially responsible for her visit, or did you mean to provide that is fine but just not pay anyone to do it? I think only lawyers can sign that form, right? If I don't pay, can I just write a sponsorship letter to tell the visa officer indicating I will be supporting her throughout her stay in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for answering my question. I am sorry, I have another question about the AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT AND GUARANTEE.

Do you mean it is not necessary for me to provide my wife an AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT AND GUARANTEE to convince the visa officer that I am willing to be financially responsible for her visit, or did you mean to provide that is fine but just not pay anyone to do it? I think only lawyers can sign that form, right? If I don't pay, can I just write a sponsorship letter to tell the visa officer indicating I will be supporting her throughout her stay in Canada?
Absolutely no point. Don’t waste your money. It isn’t enforceable. Could you imagine how many people Canada would have to sue! There are so many examples of families applying to visit for 2 weeks who always planned on visiting for 6 months. Many fiancées who have a said they were going to visit their spouse in Canada and declared they would return to work in their home country but then they applied for spousal sponsorship when they arrived in Canada. Parents and grandparents who applied for a one month visit and then stayed for 6 months and applied for extensions every 6 months for as long as they could. I could list many other examples. In Canada people are not responsible for their visitors. In other counties that isn’t the case. There are some consultants and lawyers who try to make money convincing people the need to provide documents and pay to notarize them

Reactions: juicydec